Chinander's defense against Iowa

knapplc

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

A badass tackling free safety would go a long way.

We have to gamble to win, we need a better backup. Can’t shut them down then give up the game on two plays.

That’s Chinander get used to it 

And we don’t gamble we rush 3 or

4 and drop 7or 8 into soft zone at crunch time.  We play and coach not to lose that’s why we lose..

Get used to it.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:31 AM, knapplc said:

It's baffling. Same with Pelini not being able to sell defensive linemen on what Suh did in his system.

I don't know. Maybe the football complex will help. I think that's what they're betting on.

I'm in the camp of hoping on the bolded.  However, I can't help but thinking what some recruits had to be watching and thinking on Saturday as well.  I'm sitting there flipping between games.  It's snowing to beat the band during the Wisconsin/Minnesota game.  It's cold and spitting moisture at the Northwestern/Illinois game.  Then, there's the Iron Bowl where it's 75 degrees with a slight 5mph breeze.  I'm sure weather doesn't play a huge part in where a recruit opts to play, but when you combine it with proximity to home it gets tougher to get players from the southern U.S. here. 

I've been to around a couple dozen games home games.  While Friday's game wasn't the worst weather wise, it was just behind the snow bowl against KState in the mid to late 80's.  I'm hopeful the new complex puts us over the top in terms of recruiting.  The B1G needs a West team to step up to the plate.  This thing is getting as lopsided as the Big 12 was.

18 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I've been to around a couple dozen games home games.  While Friday's game wasn't the worst weather wise, it was just behind the snow bowl against KState in the mid to late 80's.  I'm hopeful the new complex puts us over the top in terms of recruiting.  The B1G needs a West team to step up to the plate.  This thing is getting as lopsided as the Big 12 was.

You thought the weather was really bad Friday?  Did you have a poncho or other rain gear? It really wasn't too bad.  The worst thing was that my gloves got wet, but when I took them off my hands were warmer.

On 11/29/2019 at 6:22 PM, knapplc said:

Remember last game when everyone was super cool with Frost's offense, but now people blame him for the Iowa loss?

Good times.

But think WAAAY back to a few games ago when we were giving up a ton of points on defense and people were blaming everything on Chinander.  Not hearing that today, are we?

Love ya Knapp, but I gotta disagree with ya on this one, IMHO.

Giving up two large chunk TDs changes a person's offensive game plan when they're down two scores, I'd think.

Who a team is playing (a ball control style offense) matters as well, because possessions will be at a premium sooner rather than later.

This offensive scheme will (and does) work, but it's play calling and situational awareness.  For example:

Was anyone else bothered that on Luke's play where it seemed that it was hurried  - the 15 yarder against Williams, I believe - that there were NO TIMEOUTS TAKEN there?  That play got sniffed out because it was hurried, but I believe at that time, they had all 3 timeouts (or at least two I believe).  That was so frustrating to me, and yes, I was cursing at Frosty at that point.

• Plus1 1
On 12/2/2019 at 1:10 PM, alexhortdog95 said:

Love ya Knapp, but I gotta disagree with ya on this one, IMHO.

Giving up two large chunk TDs changes a person's offensive game plan when they're down two scores, I'd think.

Who a team is playing (a ball control style offense) matters as well, because possessions will be at a premium sooner rather than later.

This offensive scheme will (and does) work, but it's play calling and situational awareness.  For example:

Was anyone else bothered that on Luke's play where it seemed that it was hurried  - the 15 yarder against Williams, I believe - that there were NO TIMEOUTS TAKEN there?  That play got sniffed out because it was hurried, but I believe at that time, they had all 3 timeouts (or at least two I believe).  That was so frustrating to me, and yes, I was cursing at Frosty at that point.

Two large chunk TDs can affect the gameplan. However, the plan didn't appear to be working regardless as we punted five times in the first half and we still had the same swing passes for little to no gain whether tied or down two scores. 

Defense stiffened up and performed well enough to get the win, offense failed. Three possessions in the final ten minutes of a tied game and we produce a total of 11 yards with no points... that is an offensive failure in my opinion. 

• Fire 1
On 11/30/2019 at 10:18 AM, Nebfanatic said:

What's funny though is before Wisconsin I was posting stats about how the defense has improved and people said 'well wait until Wisconsin and Iowa score 40 on us the numbers won't look so good' well they didn't do that and the numbers actually look better as a result of these 3 games. That is what is annoying to me. Chinander does better than everyone thinks he can and is actually not the issue and people still blame him

I just now saw this post. You are right - this page shows us at #66 in Total Defense:

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22/p2

We actually jumped roughly 15-20ish spots (I think) from where we were right before Wisconsin to after Iowa. I am happy with where this number shakes out at season's end.

If we can get that around #50 across next season and our offensive line gets better we'll start being the team that is ahead by a touchdown and probably keeps the lead in the fourth quarter. We have a lot of special teams and offensive questions heading into next season.

On defense, I do still think we just need to bring one extra linebacker at the quarterback more often on 3rd down passing situations. But that's just me.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

On 12/1/2019 at 8:57 AM, HS_Coach_C said:

It has been since they got here (after Martinez committed) and we still don't have a pass rusher. How they couldn't sell what Griffin did at UCF is beyond me.

Before I write this up, let me first say that I'm not disagreeing with you and my ultimate point isn't directed at you.

Two of Wisconsin's linebackers are tied for 2nd in the conference with 11 sacks a piece. Here are their statures:

Zack Baun: 6'3, 235

Chris Orr: 6'0, 223

These guys weren't incredible prospects coming out of high school. They're not big guys that are in between the size of a traditional LB and a defensive end (like Chinander appears to want in his OLBs). Caleb Tannor is 6'3, 225 but I hear people on this forum saying "he isn't big enough to be the guy."

Bulls***. It's about creating stunts and schemes to get your guys to the QB. Plain and simple.

• Plus1 4
23 minutes ago, Undone said:

Before I write this up, let me first say that I'm not disagreeing with you and my ultimate point isn't directed at you.

Two of Wisconsin's linebackers are tied for 2nd in the conference with 11 sacks a piece. Here are their statures:

Zack Baun: 6'3, 235

Chris Orr: 6'0, 223

These guys weren't incredible prospects coming out of high school. They're not big guys that are in between the size of a traditional LB and a defensive end (like Chinander appears to want in his OLBs). Caleb Tannor is 6'3, 225 but I hear people on this forum saying "he isn't big enough to be the guy."

Bulls***. It's about creating stunts and schemes to get your guys to the QB. Plain and simple.

Something to consider......

Baun is a redshirt senior and Tannor is a sophomore.  Take a look at Baun's four playing years and compare them to Tannor.

Baun had 2.5 sacks as a junior.....which Tannor had as a sophomore.

This is where the roster flipping issues and young talent come into play.

I hope Tannor has more sacks next season, but the staff is recruiting to make it more competitive for every single position to earn snaps.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Something to consider......

Baun is a redshirt senior and Tannor is a sophomore.  Take a look at Baun's four playing years and compare them to Tannor.

Baun had 2.5 sacks as a junior.....which Tannor had as a sophomore.

This is where the roster flipping issues and young talent come into play.

I hope Tannor has more sacks next season, but the staff is recruiting to make it more competitive for every single position to earn snaps.

Did anyone even touch Iowa's QB? I feel their line dominated outside of a few good plays from Daniels on their freshman center. I don't see an actual attack half the time we "blitz" 

3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Did anyone even touch Iowa's QB? I feel their line dominated outside of a few good plays from Daniels on their freshman center. I don't see an actual attack half the time we "blitz" 

Their line did well on three big runs and did a decent job in pass protection. After that first quarter though, our defense (especially d-line) was dominant in keeping them at bay especially in the run game. At only 55 yards passing and a pick going into Iowa's final drive, Stanley didn't appear to be too much of a threat either. That said, you are correct that we did not get home very often to lay a finger on Stanley.