Chinander's defense against Iowa

knapplc

13 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Baun is a redshirt senior and Tannor is a sophomore.  Take a look at Baun's four playing years and compare them to Tannor.

Baun had 2.5 sacks as a junior.....which Tannor had as a sophomore.

This is where the roster flipping issues and young talent come into play.

I hope Tannor has more sacks next season, but the staff is recruiting to make it more competitive for every single position to earn snaps.

Yes. My point wasn't to ask why Tannor isn't producing the same numbers as those two redshirt seniors from Wisconsin. My point was that having the right body types isn't the issue with not being able to get to the QB.

4 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Did anyone even touch Iowa's QB? I feel their line dominated outside of a few good plays from Daniels on their freshman center. I don't see an actual attack half the time we "blitz" 

No disagreement here.

At least the Iowa games aren't like 2017, and thankfully Eichorst was no longer around to evaluate where Iowa was as a program.

We know a pass rush is needed in the worst way.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

Yes. My point wasn't to ask why Tannor isn't producing the same numbers as those two redshirt seniors from Wisconsin. My point was that having the right body types isn't the issue with not being able to get to the QB.

Agreed.

Something that would be interesting is to see the height, weight and position of the top 10 sack leaders in the country.

17 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Did anyone even touch Iowa's QB? I feel their line dominated outside of a few good plays from Daniels on their freshman center. I don't see an actual attack half the time we "blitz" 

I'm not a fan of their "blitz" where a middle backer just stands in one of the A or B gaps and then gets blocked. It's like junior high level stuff. The Domann sack against Maryland was good though.

• Plus1 3

Roughly about 6'4" and 245 or so average.  That is for fuill grown best in the NFL.   College players would most likely want to be about 6-2 and 225 or so to compare.   Expecting DEs to get to the QB of today (most of whom can run pretty well themselves btw) that are 6-5 -- 265 OR 280 is a mistake.  They are too big for LBs and too small for DTs in my view.  

I have felt our LBs and rush ends and so on lately have been abit oversized (especially weight) and as result are just too slow.   You want all the size you can muster without losing speed.  We need LBs who can run legit 4.5 in the forty or faster.  Guys in the 4.3s are ideal.   Jamell Williams or Farley was around 4.4.eu. I'd rather use a big safety as a LB in most games when possible.  It seems reasonable to have a couple hole plugger types LBs that are around 6-4 and 245 or so but it is extremely rare you find speed enough for guys that heavy.   Mark Gastineu (spelling? are extremely rare specimens.  

There is no substitute for speed with scheme unless the defense is allowed to play around 13 guys instead of 11.   

12 hours ago, Igetbored216 said:

That makes sense. This team doesn't have anyone on the roster that can rush the passer. I don't remember the last time Nebraska did. Gregory? 

Yes, he was the last real threat. That is why I want to land Jared Ivey and Jimari Butler. Both those guys have the ability to get to the QB

5 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

I think you guys are creating a narrative here.  Let me explain.

Randy Gregory was part of the 2014 defense...and our defense this year was very close in sacks and TFLs to the 2014 defense...and in 2014 they played an extra game (13).

Keep in mind, this years defense had more sacks and TFLs than any since 2014.

2019 Sacks:  27

2014 Sacks:  29

In fact, we only had 4 less sacks than the often lauded last good defense (2010 defense which had 2 more games playing 14).

We had 73 tackles for loss (TFLs)...also the most since 2014 when they had 80...once again, they had an extra game so we're pretty close.

So, as you can see, you guys are creating a narrative.  We have guys getting in for sacks and TFLs...just not how you would like them to (that is one or two guys who are major threats).

Where did I point out the defense as a whole? I was stating that Gregory was our last true pass rush threat. 17 TFL and 9.5 sacks in 2013 for him alone. 

10 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Randy Gregory was part of the 2014 defense...and our defense this year was very close in sacks and TFLs to the 2014 defense...and in 2014 they played an extra game (13).

In fact, we only had 4 less sacks than the often lauded last good defense (2010 defense which had 2 more games playing 14).

We had 73 tackles for loss (TFLs)...also the most since 2014 when they had 80...once again, they had an extra game so we're pretty close.

So, as you can see, you guys are creating a narrative.  We have guys getting in for sacks and TFLs...just not how you would like them to (that is one or two guys who are major threats).

I'd want to look at the stats for things like hurries too though, and I haven't found those anywhere. I'll admit the numbers show a better pass rush than it feels like we have, but my gut is those other defenses forced more hurried throws and backs/TEs kept in as blockers. I'm always critical of the eye test, but there were a lot of times this year opponents had all day to throw. I'm sure there were plays like that in 2014 and 2010 as well, but I'd bet significantly fewer.

6 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Where did I point out the defense as a whole? I was stating that Gregory was our last true pass rush threat. 17 TFL and 9.5 sacks in 2013 for him alone. 

Playing a little bit of devil's advocate, how do TFLs show anything with pass rush? Pure sack numbers, Khalil's 8 in 11 games isn't far off of Gregory's 10.5 in 13 games ('13). Again, that's why hurries would be helpful because I assume Gregory had more of those. Not to mention forcing teams to account for him. I don't even think we need a Randy Gregory, but like a Pierre Allen would be great.

6 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Playing a little bit of devil's advocate, how do TFLs show anything with pass rush? Pure sack numbers, Khalil's 8 in 11 games isn't far off of Gregory's 10.5 in 13 games ('13). Again, that's why hurries would be helpful because I assume Gregory had more of those. Not to mention forcing teams to account for him. I don't even think we need a Randy Gregory, but like a Pierre Allen would be great.

I think TFL and sacks usually go hand in hand. It shows you are being disruptive behind the LOS. Khalil was underrated all season long imo. I don't expect to get an Epenesa anytime soon but he changed the whole game last Friday. 2 sacks and 5 TFL in one game. 

• Fire 1
22 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Sacks are only one measure of getting after the QB. I watched the games. It's not a narrative to say that many of the QBs we faced had plenty of time in the pocket, waiting for receivers to get open. 

27 sacks is decent, but if that's all, or close to all the times you pressured a QB, that's not very good.