Chinander's defense against Iowa

knapplc

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Chinander does better than everyone thinks he can and is actually not the issue and people still blame him

When the linebacker says that Iowa knew exactly what we were going to do, it is sort of problem.  For most part of the season, the defense has missed assignments, missed tackles, been horrible against the run,  put no pressure on the qb, and cant stop the offense at key times in the game. To be fair, the special team coach should be fired. Frost needs help as OC. Should be loads of fun to watch next year.

1 hour ago, KCBuc said:

When the linebacker says that Iowa knew exactly what we were going to do, it is sort of problem.  For most part of the season, the defense has missed assignments, missed tackles, been horrible against the run,  put no pressure on the qb, and cant stop the offense at key times in the game. To be fair, the special team coach should be fired. Frost needs help as OC. Should be loads of fun to watch next year.

When the D allows 17 and gets 7 back for the offense, they have done their job. Were we that horrible against the run this year? I understand the long runs count as well, but if you take out the 2 long runs yesterday Iowa only ran for 115 yards on 29 totes. Not great but not bad given how much they had to lean on the run game because the pass game wasn't there.

My point is for as bad as people think Chinander is, he actually perform that badly. And if the offensive performance had progressed equal to the defense from last year I think we notch 3 more wins pretty easily. This year's defense isn't getting us to a conference championship no matter how good the offense is, I will give you that, but it is getting better and those are the baby steps we need. Next year expectations will be higher and I think the coaches are fully aware of that.

45 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

1 linebacker says that.  He could be lying his a$$ off or just a moron on this subject or just saying things for the sake of saying things. 

Just because JoJo spoke doesn't mean you have to take it as rule of law.

Most people could watch and know what was wrong. The pattern of no pressure held up. It was interesting the player said it.

18 hours ago, knapplc said:

Iowa averages 23 points per game with that offense. Chinander's defense held them to 20. 

That averaged is propped up by wins against mtsu, miami(oh), and Rutgers. This was one of their worst offenses in a while and the weakest their o-line has been in a long time. 

3:16 mark. They brought 4 and fell into a zone. Corners should have been off. Surrender the underneath and not give up the big play down the middle. This is why I dont like Chinander's defense. It is not built to attack. The 3:03 mark is another example of playing passive. At least show blitz and try to get into the QBs head pre-snap.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That's irrelevant context when every team plays weaker opponents.  It's like saying McCaffrey didn't throw for a single touchdown against Iowa when you take away that one pass.

Alright, so while we're cherry picking stats to support our arguement, Iowa had 225 yards rushing with a 7.3 average compared to their season average of 139.5 yards/game with a 4 yard average/run (which includes this last game. You could make the passing defense argument, but then I'll say Iowa didnt need to pass. Point is this game isn't as supportive of defensive improvement as it seems. The D made plays, but at the end of the day, the same basic mistakes happened again when it mattered most (not setting edge, not keeping leverage to prevent cutback lanes, giving receivers 50 yard cushions, not being creative in how to generate pressure when when what you've been doing hasnt been working)

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

1 linebacker says that.  He could be lying his a$$ off or just a moron on this subject or just saying things for the sake of saying things. 

Just because JoJo spoke doesn't mean you have to take it as rule of law.

Just like Purdue knew and scored......I'd take JoJo at face value.  He knew the coverage...Studied Iowa and knew what they'd run against said coverage....He sticks to the scheme and doesn't free lance.  They complete pass......Not rocket science.

Can Chin become a good DC (I'll take top 25)?  I hope so. (He has shown flashes) He's gonna be here a while.  Even the announcers were wondering aloud why we sat back and didn't pressure the big arm QB......He's gotta realize in those situations, no pressure results in completions.  Pressure results in sack, INT, missed OR completion.  Some times you have to risk it to get the biscuit.... 

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That's irrelevant context when every team plays weaker opponents.  It's like saying McCaffrey didn't throw for a single touchdown against Iowa when you take away that one pass.

Also, to be clear, I dont expect chin to get fired, and will very happily eat crow next year if the defense finally becomes serviceable on a consistent basis under him, I'm just frustrated and as a 23 year old who's only ever seen this team be at it's best as a 10-4 team, I'm done believing hype and accepting moral victories until I see it happen

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Swiv3D said:

Also, to be clear, I dont expect chin to get fired, and will very happily eat crow next year if the defense finally becomes serviceable on a consistent basis under him, I'm just frustrated and as a 23 year old who's only ever seen this team be at it's best as a 10-4 team, I'm done believing hype and accepting moral victories until I see it happen

I totally understand the frustration.

Biggest thing we need for Chin's defense to look better is an edge rush threat. You get a guy who can make their QB uncomfortable in the pocket, a lot of this defense looks better.

• Plus1 2