Chinander's defense against Iowa

knapplc

Their is nothing more annoying than the ignorance of the "fire Chin" crowd.  We all know you guys are deflecting blame that belongs to Frost and his offense (particularly play calling and his QB), because you dont have the balls to admit our hero from Wood River has made the mistakes.  

Our defense has been good enough this year.  Our offense doesnt help our defense at all.  The defense tried to save our offense many games this year, but you can only do so much.

Let us not kid ourselves, no one is saying that Chin is a genius defensive guru. Chin is who he is. Look at his defense ranking at UCF. It was not good at all. Over the last four years, his defenses were average at best and no matter how much time we give him, he will not become a defensive guru. 

Having said that, the Iowa loss was completely the fault of Frost and Martinez. In year one, Martinez was good because of his running ability and teams respected that. This season, he has been very timid and indecisive and teams did not respect his running ability. Frost had a front seat to this show and he should have realized that Martinez was struggling. He should have gone with the hot hand of McCaffrey. If you were a coach and you had designed a package for McCaffrey and it worked and resulted in a touchdown, why take him out and put struggling Martinez in. Before the McCaffrey 39 yard pass touchdown, Martinez had done nothing but throw an interception after he was given a decade by the OL to make a good throw. Given all that, Frost still insisted on riding Martinez. That is stubbornness and ego at work. So, as far as I am concerned, this loss falls squarely on Frost. Chin’s defense held Iowa scoreless the entire second half until the last drive which should not have happened had Frost make better decisions. As long as Frost keeps blaming talent and lack of buy in, we will continue to struggle. He needs to realize that the buck stops with him and he needs to own up to his shortcomings and put together a coaching staff that can get the talent we have ready to compete. That means evaluating all three phases of the game and making staff changes that will help us progress. At this stage, our defense and unspecial teams are not good enough for the BiG, and our offense under Martinez is sluggish and inconsistent. Anything else is simply jibber jabber.

3 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Let us not kid ourselves, no one is saying that Chin is a genius defensive guru. Chin is who he is. Look at his defense ranking at UCF. It was not good at all. Over the last four years, his defenses were average at best and no matter how much time we give him, he will not become a defensive guru. 

Having said that, the Iowa loss was completely the fault of Frost and Martinez. In year one, Martinez was good because of his running ability and teams respected that. This season, he has been very timid and indecisive and teams did not respect his running ability. Frost had a front seat to this show and he should have realized that Martinez was struggling. He should have gone with the hot hand of McCaffrey. If you were a coach and you had designed a package for McCaffrey and it worked and resulted in a touchdown, why take him out and put struggling Martinez in. Before the McCaffrey 39 yard pass touchdown, Martinez had done nothing but throw an interception after he was given a decade by the OL to make a good throw. Given all that, Frost still insisted on riding Martinez. That is stubbornness and ego at work. So, as far as I am concerned, this loss falls squarely on Frost. Chin’s defense held Iowa scoreless the entire second half until the last drive which should not have happened had Frost make better decisions. As long as Frost keeps blaming talent and lack of buy in, we will continue to struggle. He needs to realize that the buck stops with him and he needs to own up to his shortcomings and put together a coaching staff that can get the talent we have ready to compete. That means evaluating all three phases of the game and making staff changes that will help us progress. At this stage, our defense and unspecial teams are not good enough for the BiG, and our offense under Martinez is sluggish and inconsistent. Anything else is simply jibber jabber.

I disagree.

• Fire 1

I'm the opposite of being a fan of chin, but the defense didn't lose this game. Running a quarter back over and over again who can barley jog lost Nebraska this game. Throwing a dozen swing/screen passes when you dont have a numbers advantage and they result in a loss of yards lost Nebraska this game. Not blocking Epenesa lost Nebraska the game. 

Chin held them to less than 30 by a lot.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigPeterJ said:

Their is nothing more annoying than the ignorance of the "fire Chin" crowd.  We all know you guys are deflecting blame that belongs to Frost and his offense (particularly play calling and his QB), because you dont have the balls to admit our hero from Wood River has made the mistakes.  

Our defense has been good enough this year.  Our offense doesnt help our defense at all.  The defense tried to save our offense many games this year, but you can only do so much.

The offense is 74th in scoring offense and 59th in total offense.  While the defense is 67th in scoring defense and 64th in total defense (according to ncaa.com)

They're both more or less the same level of trash but the offense is only jarring because we didn't expect it. 

Before the season someone set an extremely modest expectation for Chinander's defense to be top 50 in scoring defense. I said if that happened I'd eat my hat.  Guess who's not eating his hat.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Iowa averages 5.54 yards/play with that offense. Chinander’s defense held them to 5.79.

26 total yards in the 2nd & 3rd quarter, I think.  Crazy.

But then 50 or so on the final drive.  Also crazy.

Imagine what this defense could have done with legitimate edge pressure.

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

The offense is 74th in scoring offense and 59th in total offense.  While the defense is 67th in scoring defense and 64th in total defense (according to ncaa.com)

They're both more or less the same level of trash but the offense is only jarring because we didn't expect it. 

Before the season someone set an extremely modest expectation for Chinander's defense to be top 50 in scoring defense. I said if that happened I'd eat my hat.  Guess who's not eating his hat.

Thats not taking into account how often the defense is on the field.  We all know that Frost's style of play inflates offensive #s, and defensive #s.  Thats why a top 50 statistical defense would be very good...because that would mean it is probably a top 25 defense in reality.

3 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

Thats not taking into account how often the defense is on the field.  We all know that Frost's style of play inflates offensive #s, and defensive #s.  Thats why a top 50 statistical defense would be very good...because that would mean it is probably a top 25 defense in reality.

All of this is one big load of crap.  His defensive numbers always suck because he sucks as a defensive coordinator .

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
16 hours ago, knapplc said:

26 total yards in the 2nd & 3rd quarter, I think.  Crazy.

But then 50 or so on the final drive.  Also crazy.

Imagine what this defense could have done with legitimate edge pressure.

Imagine your four can’t get there and sending an extra guy to rush the QB on the last drive. I imagine Chinander with a killer attacking defense but coming back to reality sucks. I’d rather they attack then get picked apart.

11 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

I just read an article that mentioned how Nebraska has held 5 of 20 Power 5 opponents to under 30 points in Chinander era. Those 5 teams were ranked a combined 108th in scoring offense, with the best being 2018 MN at 65th (still scored 28).  Every other team had 30+. 

Also, in 6 games versus the best of the division (WI/IA/MN), NU is giving up 271 rushing yards per game.  In the 2 UCF years they were 61/58 in rushing defense and in the B1G they've been 95/88.

https://saturdaytradition.com/nebraska-football/iowa-ended-nebraska-season-scott-frost-offseason-adjustments-2019/

Talent will help, but I am struggling to believe how the defense will improve enough to make a huge difference.  The only path forward here with no defensive changes is for the offense to start putting up 40+ per game and that just isn't reliable in the B1G.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I just read an article that mentioned how Nebraska has held 5 of 20 Power 5 opponents to under 30 points in Chinander era. Those 5 teams were ranked a combined 108th in scoring offense, with the best being 2018 MN at 65th (still scored 28).  Every other team had 30+. 

Also, in 6 games versus the best of the division (WI/IA/MN), NU is giving up 271 rushing yards per game.  In the 2 UCF years they were 61/58 in rushing defense and in the B1G they've been 95/88.

https://saturdaytradition.com/nebraska-football/iowa-ended-nebraska-season-scott-frost-offseason-adjustments-2019/

Talent will help, but I am struggling to believe how the defense will improve enough to make a huge difference.  The only path forward here with no defensive changes is for the offense to start putting up 40+ per game and that just isn't reliable in the B1G.

Improved linebacker play, better tackling and a pass rush will improve those numbers.

Possibly significantly.

Immediate pass rush help has been the #1 priority on the recruiting trail.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Improved linebacker play, better tackling and a pass rush will improve those numbers.

Possibly significantly.

Immediate pass rush help has been the #1 priority on the recruiting trail.

It has been since they got here (after Martinez committed) and we still don't have a pass rusher. How they couldn't sell what Griffin did at UCF is beyond me.

• Plus1 2