Iowa Post-Game Pressers

Mavric

4 minutes ago, Mailman777 said:

Martinez has not attacked all year that's been a big issue in my mind on Offense. When Noah V. or Luke M. were playing we seemed to have a extra gear / pep in our step. Martinez was not the leader or captain  i had hoped he would be.  

He's not a bright kid.  He has very little football sense, cannot read a defense, and now lost the ability to athletically make plays.  Hope he's a 2nd stringer, at very best, next year

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, lo country said:

How about run that same friggin package until they stop it...

On top of that... why was the one play they had for McCaffrey (the 2nd time as well) one that made him run to the left? He was clearly capable of making the throw but why wouldnt it make more sense to roll to the side of his throwing arm?

Just now, HuskerMan said:

This right here tells me what I need to know.  There will be zero QB competition next year barring injury or transfer to Martinez.

The dude drops a dime to JD and gets 6.....AM throws that and over throws JD...But I am the HC and smarter than any of you so I go with the guy who did nothing the entire game until my 1 play QB scores......With Luke they'd have to respect the passing game.....

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I'm wondering if we maybe run him too much. Frost run's him a lot and he didn't look close to 100 percent. Yet, we continue to run him and he continues to get blasted by B1G linebackers. 

There has to be some undisclosed injury or something going on. The good news is his sophomore slump is over. He has a chance to bounce back next year. As some have stated above A-mart is the QB unless he is hurt or injured. Next year I want to see him with that underdog mentality. This year he was just way too hesitant. 

Also, Luke looks good but his plays are scripted. Why can't we run a few of those with A-Mart to get his confidence going? I believe you will continue to see all 3 QBs used to keep defenses honest. 

• Plus1 1

On 11/29/2019 at 8:40 PM, HuskerMan said:

This right here tells me what I need to know.  There will be zero QB competition next year barring injury or transfer to Martinez.

Luke must be terrible in practice.  Everything ive seen from him has been good, but we have seen so little of him.  Regardless of how bad he apparently is at reading the D/Passing/etc, i just love that kids energy leading this team.  I just have a really good feeling about him.  But i guess we will never know unless he gets to play an entire game.  What the hell do we have to lose at this point.  I know what AM brings and i dont like it.

On 11/29/2019 at 8:32 PM, DefenderAO said:

He's not a bright kid.  He has very little football sense, cannot read a defense, and now lost the ability to athletically make plays.  Hope he's a 2nd stringer, at very best, next year

How about you don't be a jerk and attack his intelligence. The kid is smart and very well spoken. He's 19 years old for crying out loud. There's a reason everyone knows what a Sophomore slump is. He put up similar numbers as Taylor and Tommy did their 2nd year with an arguably worse team surrounding him, and he did it with 3 fewer games played.

Passing

Taylor 13 games: 162/288 (56.3%)   2089 yds   13 TDs   8 INTs     Rating: 126.5

Tommy 13 games: 184/345 (53.3%) 2695 yds   22 TDs  12 INTs   Rating. 133.0

Adrian 10 games: 149/251 (59.3%)  1956 yds   10 TDs   9 INTs     Rating 130.8

Rushing

Taylor: 188 att  874 yds (4.6 yd avg)    9 TDs

Tommy: 145 att  705 yds (4.6 yd avg}  6 TDs

Adrian: 144 att   646 yds (4.4 yd avg)  7 TDs

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

Some interesting stats there ZRod, thanks for posting those.

My take on those numbers is that Adrian is obviously lower in every category, but not by much in the rushing category. It is pretty telling if you look at total touchdowns accounted for however, look at Tommys total TDs compared to adrian, especially in the passing category that surpises me that Tommy had that many more. Adrian sure isn't accounting for very many touchdowns compared to the other two QBs shown here, so my question is who should be getting us more TDs to offset this? Now I do see your disclaimer of 3 less games played so yes, you do have to take that into account, however this offense is basically the kind that Adrian is involved in just about everything, we go to him for the run game, the pass game, everything is based around Adrian, where with the other two QBs it may have been a little less so at times based on who they had surrounding them...

If you look at back at who each of these QBs had for a RB, Taylor had Burkhead and Tommy had Ameer, and these two previous QBs STILL had more TDs than Adrian, that alone tells me Adrian needs to step his game up in a pretty big way, or we need another Ameer and an O Line to offset the lower production from QB. JMHO.

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, ZRod said:

How about you don't be a jerk and attack his intelligence. The kid is smart and very well spoken. He's 19 years old for crying out loud. There's a reason everyone knows what a Sophomore slump is. He put up similar numbers as Taylor and Tommy did their 2nd year with an arguably worse team surrounding him, and he did it with 3 fewer games played.

Passing

Taylor 13 games: 162/288 (56.3%)   2089 yds   13 TDs   8 INTs     Rating: 126.5

Tommy 13 games: 184/345 (53.3%) 2695 yds   22 TDs  12 INTs   Rating. 133.0

Adrian 10 games: 149/251 (59.3%)  1956 yds   10 TDs   9 INTs     Rating 130.8

Rushing

Taylor: 188 att  874 yds (4.6 yd avg)    9 TDs

Tommy: 145 att  705 yds (4.6 yd avg}  6 TDs

Adrian: 144 att   646 yds (4.4 yd avg)  7 TDs

A. Stats are overrated. New Mexico State’s QB had almost double the total yards as Tommie Frazier in 1995. Tommie needed 600 yards to crack the top 20. 

B. And what were the ceilings of the other two QBs? How about leadership and galvanizing the team?  I would not call it best in class, certainly not enough to win anything g meaningful.

We need better than this list. And I think we already have it. Just not in the name Martinez.