Iowa Post-Game Pressers

Mavric

4 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

A. Stats are overrated. New Mexico State’s QB had almost double the total yards as Tommie Frazier in 1995. Tommie needed 600 yards to crack the top 20. 

B. And what were the ceilings of the other two QBs? How about leadership and galvanizing the team?  I would not call it best in class, certainly not enough to win anything g meaningful.

We need better than this list. And I think we already have it. Just not in the name Martinez. 

Stats are stats dude. They indicate how an individual player is doing. Adrian is mediocre right now, but he isn't the abmonation everyone is making him out to be. He was clearly leaned on heavily this year. He didn't have the surrounding cast the other two had, and he didn't get a Redshirt year like Tommy did.

I'd say with another year in the system he is going to be just fine. What he's missing most is a possession receiver on this team.

Vedral and Luke are great guys to have backing him up, but it's pretty clear they probably wouldn't be able to take a full season of punishment like Adrian couldn't. They both got hurt without even going through a full game. Luke is going to be fun to watch, but he needs time to develop and bulk up. He's a raw talent right now.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

On 12/2/2019 at 7:08 AM, DefenderAO said:

A. Stats are overrated. New Mexico State’s QB had almost double the total yards as Tommie Frazier in 1995. Tommie needed 600 yards to crack the top 20.

Can we please quit pretending that comparing that what one cherry-picked quarterback did for a losing team in a bottom-feeder league 25 years ago has really any bearing on comparing two QBs from the same school in roughly the same time-period?

TIA

• Plus1 1
On 11/29/2019 at 6:39 PM, Mavric said:

Let's talk about something I haven't seen covered here yet.  I heard it covered on Big Red Overreaction, which I listen to via podcast mostly to see how many drunk fans call in...:laughpound

This question was asked on Friday:

"Now that this thing...this season's over, do you....Adrian's been through a lot, you've talked about that.  Have you noticed less aggressiveness in him, and I know some of that's injury related.  Can you describe sort of what he's been through, and maybe, the differences you see in him?"

And Frosty answered it this way:

"Uh, I could talk more about that stuff later, we're gonna have time to evaluate a lot of things. Um...you know, Adrian....I saw a stat before we went out that where he is in the Big 10 in yards per game....total yards per game....um....he's doing a lot of good things...um...I think this team's confidence can sometimes be fragile.  And....that's the team that we inherited and that's one of the things we're trying to fix the most...."

I almost wrecked my car when I heard that.  I had to run it back twice to make sure I heard it correctly.

So, I parse a lot of things.  I'm hoping he meant it a different way, but he said that the team he inherited has a confidence problem at times. 

And that, right there, is how you lose ANY junior/senior leadership, folks.

First off - the kids didn't ask for Frosty to be here.  He signed the contract to come coach here.  He vetted all of the staff.  He implemented the playbook, strength and conditioning program, etc, etc.  It's all under his watch.

When people were talking about how innovative of a coach he was at UCF, they didn't say, "Oh, he's innovative, but he's using George O'Leary's guys."  O'Leary didn't get credit for the Griffin brothers, or any of the players that were there when he left.  Frost did.

Throwing players under the bus like that only hurts those players you're trying to build into future team leaders.  It creates a divide in the locker room between "his guys" and "our guys."  It can even create division on the staff that favors certain team leaders over others.

HE called multiple bubble zones. 

HE didn't call a timeout on McCaffery's last play.

HE runs practices, studies game films, calls the offensive plays.

That wasn't a good look for a guy who is the head coach of a floundering team right now.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

How is saying someone has a confidence problem throwing them under the bus?  The team had and has gotten used to losing.  It's difficult to come into a program that has gotten used to losing and build their confidence back up.  It in no way shape or form says we have bad players.  It just means they have a confidence problem with their abilities.  When things start to go against them, they fold.   

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

How is saying someone has a confidence problem throwing them under the bus?  The team had and has gotten used to losing.  It's difficult to come into a program that has gotten used to losing and build their confidence back up.  It in no way shape or form says we have bad players.  It just means they have a confidence problem with their abilities.  When things start to go against them, they fold.   

You wanna say that they have a confidence problem.  Fine.  That's throwing players under the bus.

But when you put that "team inherited" mess on there, now you're singling out guys and you have a divided locker room.  Good luck getting things done now.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1