Iowa points allowed... Season high

Hilltop

Just now, BlitzFirst said:

Honestly Knapp I think Frost is playing the long game here...he's thinking in terms of 7 years and not immediate results.  We'll be thankful in the next 2-3 years he did this though I think.

Maybe. And I hope it works out. And I know going to some low-tier bowl doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, BUT it's a damned frustrating process to watch from the outside.  And I get why people are disappointed as hell with these games.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I have no idea what's going on. I know we're not playing our most talented players there, and it doesn't seem to be a heavy focus for these coaches. 

But it is.  I remember Trey Neal last year talking about how much emphasis the staff puts on special teams and how he wanted to play on them.  The coaches talked about special teams a lot last year and how important it was to get playing time on them.  I got the feeling special teams were a point of pride at UCF.  Somehow it hasn't transferred over to Nebraska which I guess shouldn't be surprising since we don't play with much pride.  We're losers and its obviously taking a long time to break out of that mindset.  Losers leave 1/2 of the field undefended on kickoffs.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, 4skers89 said:

But it is.  I remember Trey Neal last year talking about how much emphasis the staff puts on special teams and how he wanted to play on them.  The coaches talked about special teams a lot last year and how important it was to get playing time on them.  I got the feeling special teams were a point of pride at UCF.  Somehow it hasn't transferred over to Nebraska which I guess shouldn't be surprising since we don't play with much pride.  We're losers and its obviously taking a long time to break out of that mindset.  Losers leave 1/2 of the field undefended on kickoffs.

I think if it was a point of emphasis, they'd have the best players on those squads. But Brody Belt has been our kickoff returner most of the year.  And he's been pretty abysmal at it, as has blocking, as has... just about every single phase of it all year. 

Again though, Iowa's defense didn't give up 24 points. Their defense gave up 17 points. 

An offense that can only muster 17 and whose only touchdown pass comes on what practically amounts to a trick play probably didn't do enough in a must-win game.

However, the last I checked Iowa had a Top 10 defense. So we certainly weren't anywhere close to as bad as we were on offense against, say, Minnesota.

Incidentally, what really sucks about this game is that it shouldn't have been a must-win game to get a bowl appearance. We should have beaten a beleaguered Purdue team, and the sixth win pressure should have been on the Maryland game.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Honestly Knapp I think Frost is playing the long game here...he's thinking in terms of 7 years and not immediate results.  We'll be thankful in the next 2-3 years he did this though I think.

I believe there is some evidence of this.  Frost inherited a team with a lot of problems.  I think there are a couple of basic things that the coaches focused on this season- penalties and turnovers.  We beat Northwestern simply by playing NW ball better than they did.  It sounded like we were good with penalties until late in today's game.  I believe some of Martinez's hesitancy this year is the desire to avoid INTs.  With a more disciplined team maybe they can get the players to execute plays correctly and do the little things that make them more successful.  The playbook is probably limited simply because they can't execute the basics.  It seems like baby steps but nothing seems to improve fast with Nebraska football.

3 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Just because people disagree with you does make them clueless.

Stating that they do make you the clueless one. No matter how it is spun. They when 5-7 and blew 2 games with extremely poor coaching descions. 

Fair enough.  Everyone has the stats there in front of them.  Our offense wasn't the problem today or for most of the season.  Even if you take away the defensive score, we matched Penn State's offensive production against Iowa and scored 7 more in offense than Michigan could.  Both top 20 teams.  We have a problem on defense and special teams.... Here is a hint.  Look at the NFL draft this spring to see how many players from Nebraska are selected.  We have a talent issue....  

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Nobody wants to listen to reality...  Our defense is a problem, no doubt.  Our offense scored enough too be a 9-10 win team this year.  Of course you can second guess play calling.  Every team can.... Just see Ohio State's forums lol. Hopefully we get some talent in to help in the if season.  Until next year, GBR

I will kindly have to disagree with you. Our offense has been the problem for nearly every game this year. Frost's goal is 30+ points each game. We achieved that in half the games this year. Yes, we had plenty of injuries and we are a young group but our offense was pretty awful by most metrics this year. Defense had a few games of being especially tough to watch but considering the totality of the season, our defense performed better than our offense.

19 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

I hate to be blunt and rude, but that is just plain ridiculous. You don’t sacrifice the now for the future. You build for future while still doing everything possible to to take care of right now. You know, one game at a time. If you don’t tend to immediate results, before you know it there isn’t a future to build for. 

His coaching (including the entire staff) have cost us at least three games this year. You can be looking towards the future while effectively coaching in the present. 

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I will kindly have to disagree with you. Our offense has been the problem for nearly every game this year. Frost's goal is 30+ points each game. We achieved that in half the games this year. Yes, we had plenty of injuries and we are a young group but our offense was pretty awful by most metrics this year. Defense had a few games of being especially tough to watch but considering the totality of the season, our defense performed better than our offense.

Find where Frost listed that as a goal.  You won't.  Look at teams averages on the the year vs their schedule and what they did against us.  Our offense wasn't perfect but wasn't the glaring problem.  Teams set season high after season high against us.  

Just now, Hilltop said:

Find where Frost listed that as a goal.  You won't.  Look at teams averages on the the year vs their schedule and what they did against us.  Our offense wasn't perfect but want the glaring problem.  Teams set season high after season high against us.  

'Frost said "get to a point where we're giving up less than 30 points per game with the way the offense is going" they'll be pretty good'

Frost's entire philosophy is about up-tempo football that gets frequent chunk plays aimed at being a high scoring offense. When the offense fails to put up points (or first downs), the defense is on the field more often and gets more susceptible to giving up yards, points and eventually records. 

55 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I have no idea what's going on. I know we're not playing our most talented players there, and it doesn't seem to be a heavy focus for these coaches. 

Didn't Frost and Ci say they would have their best athletes on ST's?  That if you didn't want to play ST's you wouldn't play....Something like that....I'm with you, play the talent and make that phase as important as the O and D....