frost is in big trouble

April Wine

What are some intangible things that have dramatically improved since Frost has been here:

#1. Effort on defense

#2. Effort on perimeter blocking

#3. Effort in general

Things take time to build.  I was happy with a ton of things from last nights game.  Not satisfied but happy to see progress.

Frost is doing a great job, if our fanbase would stop jumping down his throat whenever we stumble...that would be better!

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, dcscout said:

What are some intangible things that have dramatically improved since Frost has been here:

#1. Effort on defense

#3. Effort in general

Things take time to build.  I was happy with a ton of things from last nights game.  Not satisfied but happy to see progress.

Frost is doing a great job, if our fanbase would stop jumping down his throat whenever we stumble...that would be better!

We’ve lost every game that mattered.

7 minutes ago, dcscout said:

#1. Effort on defense

#3. Effort in general

Effort in general seems improved, yes. Here's another:  Running back improvement.

Look at Devine Ozigbo from the beginning of last year to the end of the year. Then look at Dedrick Mills from the beginning of this year to yesterday.  HUGE improvement.

• Plus1 2
35 minutes ago, SFW said:

Because of coaching blunders in game.

Effort and talent can’t cover that up.

I have followed this thread most of last night and picked up here today.  My question is what do you you want done SFW?

I don't disagree with some of your points. Play calling absolutely was a major factor in some losses,  especially Purdue.  I will also say, as a coach myself, I hate the idea that Frost seems to take about 10% of the blame and does throw players under bus publicly.

With that said, I truly believe he is still the right guy for this job.  Hopefully you aren't wanting him gone bc that isn't going to happen and it shouldn't. In fact, the 2 yr extension was best move we made in a long time. STABILITY is key to any success,  look at record books.

55 minutes ago, Good Tweetman said:

We’ve lost every game that mattered.

Every game matters, especially when you are a team that IS not superior to others.

I remember a while back when we had Gregory, we called him an eraser (he could erase mistakes by other people on the field or his own because of his God given genetics).  We don't have many of those on this team, which means we have to play close to perfect to give us a chance.  Iowa certainly has a few more "erasers" than we do and has a STRONG, CONSISTENT, AND DEFINED, culture which has taken a substantial amount of time to build.  

Special teams have been tough this year, and you can scheme all you want, but we can't scheme depth (which we have little of).  I am extremely impressed with what they've done with our soccer kicker, they gave him time to develop and it's been awesome.  It took nearly 8 weeks for him to figure out how to do one thing well.  (Not a knock on him or our coaches...but realistic for fans to recognize that acquiring skills take time).  Mills, Waldoch, Jurgens are all good examples of taking time to figure things out.

It obviously would be much better to not ask these guys to contribute until they've been in any system for 2-3 years... but here we are.

Back to the original point, we had to play incredibly disciplined and perfect to keep ourselves in games and it was compounded by some crazy circumstances severely affecting our special teams (which put even more pressure on the other two phases).  I saw huge growth in all 3 areas as the season went on.  We haven't turned the corner yet, but I believe things are being set up to build things correctly.

Just my opinion.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, HANC said:

I have followed this thread most of last night and picked up here today.  My question is what do you you want done SFW?

I don't disagree with some of your points. Play calling absolutely was a major factor in some losses,  especially Purdue.  I will also say, as a coach myself, I hate the idea that Frost seems to take about 10% of the blame and does throw players under bus publicly.

With that said, I truly believe he is still the right guy for this job.  Hopefully you aren't wanting him gone bc that isn't going to happen and it shouldn't. In fact, the 2 yr extension was best move we made in a long time. STABILITY is key to any success,  look at record books.

I was a huge Frost fan.  I still hope he gets it figured out.

I would like to see the following :

Become a Game Day Head Coach

Give up play calling.  He should still listen and give input. But he needs to focus and all aspects of the team in game not just offense.  It’s costing us games.

Have someone on your staff manage the game clock and timeouts from the press box for him.... in his ear.

Change scheme on D to an aggressive 4-3.

Focus more on Special teams in game

Focus more on the D in game.

Quit blaming and excuse making.

Truly open up the QB competition.

Drop all your hard feelings about the past, it seems to be affecting him still.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, SFW said:

I was a huge Frost fan.  I still hope he gets it figured out.

I would like to see the following :

Become a Game Day Head Coach

Give up play calling.  He should still listen and give input. But he needs to focus and all aspects of the team in game not just offense.  It’s costing us games.

Have someone on your staff manage the game clock and timeouts from the press box for him.... in his ear.

Change scheme on D to an aggressive 4-3.

Focus more on Special teams in game

Focus more on the D in game.

Quit blaming and excuse making.

Truly open up the QB competition.

Drop all your hard feelings about the past, it seems to be affecting him still.

Fair enough !  

2 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

The most alarming thing about Frost thus far is that he seemingly has no idea what is going on in his own program. When asked about anything outside of the offense, he throws his hands up and claims he doesn't know or that isn't his area. 

Every area is your area. 

Coach Speak

• Plus1 1