frost is in big trouble

April Wine

2 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Oh I fully support this. I'm cool with snagging a couple analyst. Look at what Saban does with them....he uses them as a bench for when coaches leave. Makes too much sense 

It is also mind boggling that in year 2 at UCF, Frost's offense looked so nuanced and with almost endless options. There has to be some disconnect with this group of players in the the playbook and maybe some new voices can help with that. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

It is also mind boggling that in year 2 at UCF, Frost's offense looked so nuanced and with almost endless options. There has to be some disconnect with this group of players in the the playbook and maybe some new voices can help with that. 

He inherited speed at the skill positions and recruited the right impact pieces at the AAC level. I believe we will start to see a change in 2020. Where the close losses start to become close wins. Sliding Farniok into Guard and moving Benhart in will be big. I expect both Wilson and Hixson to be backups next year as well. 

The reality IMHO is that, by the University higher ups and AD, Frost is being viewed as the last hope to resurrect Husker football. It seems quite obvious that this is what their selling to the fan base. In their mind,  if Frost can't do it, then the program is dead and can't be resurrected. I don't know,  maybe it's true to some degree. However,  know this. The university is ALL IN on Frost, and he'll get the entirety of his contract to try and right the ship. I've come to accept it as fact. Will he get it done? I don't know, but I certainly hope so. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

He inherited speed at the skill positions and recruited the right impact pieces at the AAC level. I believe we will start to see a change in 2020. Where the close losses start to become close wins. Sliding Farniok into Guard and moving Benhart in will be big. I expect both Wilson and Hixson to be backups next year as well. 

There is a big domino effect if this happens.  We have size and talent all across the OL, and we have depth that has starting experience.

This type of OL will allow Frost to open up the playbook.  And if we get better perimeter blocking from WR and TE, even more so. 

7 minutes ago, TheSker said:

There is a big domino effect if this happens.  We have size and talent all across the OL, and we have depth that has starting experience.

This type of OL will allow Frost to open up the playbook.  And if we get better perimeter blocking from WR and TE, even more so. 

Hickman is a prime example of this. As a true Fresh, Frost said he was the best perimeter blocker.  Warner, when healthy did a good job.  IMHO, our TE's have under performed from the pre-season hype.  Not near the production I expected nor the physical presence one has come to expect from a "traditional TE".  

I wish we could also get some taller/bigger receivers as well.....

Frost is not and should not be in trouble.  That doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be looking inward this offseason and finding out where he is falling short as a coach too.  Some decision making, play calling at times, and time management.  I also believe he hamstrung the defense at times by being a little too cavalier about going for it on 4th down and giving the opposing team a short field.  Sometimes it’s ok to try and pin the other team deep and see what happens. 

• Plus1 1

It's posts like this that drives me crazy.   Poor understanding about the game & team.  Asking about players that have been injured most of the year.   Many of these sr. were recruited by bo & played for riley & frost and secondary that played 4 different coaches.   We have a very poor ol that's getting better & lb that are down right bad.  Relax or have a very strong drink (if you are old enough)

4 hours ago, gorp512 said:

He did talk about how he didn't communicate well enough on a plan on the QB draw drive, but overall, he does not place blame on his own shoulders week after week like typical coach speak. 

He does it regularly.  They don't always make the sound bites so people might not hear them.  Or they focus on other parts and then forget they did.

Either way, it's simply not at all true.

2 hours ago, lo country said:

Hickman is a prime example of this. As a true Fresh, Frost said he was the best perimeter blocker.  Warner, when healthy did a good job.  IMHO, our TE's have under performed from the pre-season hype.  Not near the production I expected nor the physical presence one has come to expect from a "traditional TE".  

I wish we could also get some taller/bigger receivers as well.....

This is one of the things Frost and his staff are trying to bring in, especially guys from the JUCO level.  Zavier Betts is one high school player who is committed to NU, and will be the biggest WR on the team as soon as he steps on campus.

I made my peace with the fact that Frost is here to stay...that is not my concern because I really like Frost and want him to succeed at Nebraska. However, he needs to self evaluate and reflect on some of his decisions all season long. He also needs to be critical of his coaches and evaluate whether progress was made at each phase of the game. If not, he should make personnel changes. Let us face the facts, if it were any other Coach, we would have expected them to make coaching changes. We did with Pelini, Riley, and Callahan. Why not Frost? If he simply looks at the defensive stats for the past four year, yes four years, he will see how poor Chinander defenses faired. Also, we have been piss poor on special teams and they cost us a few games. What exactly needs to happen for changes to become necessary...not making a bowl game in three years...guess what, this is what is happening.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
48 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He does it regularly.  They don't always make the sound bites so people might not hear them.  Or they focus on other parts and then forget they did.

Either way, it's simply not at all true.

Well, yeah. I love your post game presser posts and look forward to them each week to find all the sound bites in one place. If you can think of an instance where he said it was on him, I'd love to go back and listen/read. 

22 hours ago, April Wine said:

In his post presser he talked about needing more pieces for his offense....Looks like year 2 has taught him nothing,  he needs defense in a bad way...almost the whole d-line graduates, no linebacker depth what so ever and he Is only talking about more pieces on offense?  He proved today that he doesn't know how to coach the ones he already has!!!!!  Our talent didn't lose this game, the coaches quit on the team.

We'll have an inexperienced D-Line and lack some depth, but there is talent there.  Robinson, Casey, Green, Daniels (Damion), Stille.  I'm more concerned at linebacker, but I'm hoping Garrett, Reimers and perhaps a healthy Heinrich can pick up the slack. Barring injuries we're covered in the secondary.  I too was a bit perplexed at some of the decisions made yesterday.  Seemed like the coach and QB were not always on the same page.  Playing for the OT was one good example.  "Fear of Failure", may have influenced some of these decisions.

3 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Well, yeah. I love your post game presser posts and look forward to them each week to find all the sound bites in one place. If you can think of an instance where he said it was on him, I'd love to go back and listen/read. 

I just Googled "Frost takes blame".  Here are the first few things that came up:

Ultimately, Frost said, "the coaches and I have to do a better job of continuing to put our guys the best possible situations that we can." 

OWH - Purdue

“First of all, we have to do a better job as a coaching staff of getting us in the right formations), Frost said Monday at his weekly press conference. (South Alabama) made some changes in the offseason and we got too scheme-y with what we were expecting from them and they ran other schemes. They did a really good job, so we have to do a better job as a coaching staff.”

Link - South Alabama

“I thought we were still in attack mode and I think that’s on me,” Martinez said. “I need to have better awareness and realize we’re trying to force overtime there at the end.”

OWH - Iowa

• Thanks 1