if we go 5-7 in 2020, is frost the coach in 2021?

BoSolich

You want to be 4-8 with a 65 year old head coach that has been coaching 40 years and is on the downside of his coaching career? Or 4-8 with a young head coach, with lots still to learn, and is a homegrown Nebraskan and former Cornhusker himself?

I'll take these awful seasons under Frost over any other coach in the country. Because for one, I am just a lifelong fan, he's a fan and former player, as much as these losses and this play frustrate me, I know he's experiencing it about 100x worse and wants it fixed better than anyone. Second, he is still learning so there is hope for improvement.

3 minutes ago, HUSKERBROW1 said:

We are stuck with Frost! How do you get a two year extension, after a your 2nd year with a record like he has. I dont understand it??

I wouldn't be so sure. Extensions are a rather common practice used to create an aura of stability for recruits. I don't buy that it would save Frost, If we have another bad season I think he's either gone or has to make massive staffing changes like what we saw between the '02 and '03 seasons. Hopefully this staff develops,  some issues get ironed-out, and we don't need to find-out. 

13 minutes ago, lo country said:

I agree.  Very few teams can be undefeated...Those that do usually play in the NC game...I'm saying that to temper expectations moving forward.  I think a lot of us, myself included, expected some of the same "coaching acumen" to follow Frost here and get better results in a quicker time.  

I just posted in another thread that the B1G is a much different league than the PAC 12 or AAC.  I hope that moving forward, Frost looks more towards his Husker playing days at NU than at his coaching stops in the PAC 12 and AAC to find answers moving forward.  He is our coach.  he is not going anywhere.  I just hope that he really does a deep dive on his process and refine what he is doing.  

This was a disappointing season.  In my opinion though, just digging a little below the surface reveals a lot of optimism.

With the exception of Minnesota, we were competitive with the teams in the west.

Frost saw last year that we weren't winning the trenches.  We still aren't, but between recruiting and S&C we are getting closer.

Our offensive line actually came a long way in development this season....and the cool thing to think about is a couple of them might not be good enough to hold their position next season.

I'm thrilled that Frost stuck with redshirts for most of the freshmen.  As much as internet fans were calling for them to play, freshmen we're literally in high school at this time last year.  The B1G has half dozen ranked teams.  18 and 19 year old kids, especially on the line of scrimmage usually aren't ready physically or mentally.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, lo country said:

I agree.  Very few teams can be undefeated...Those that do usually play in the NC game...I'm saying that to temper expectations moving forward.  I think a lot of us, myself included, expected some of the same "coaching acumen" to follow Frost here and get better results in a quicker time.  

I just posted in another thread that the B1G is a much different league than the PAC 12 or AAC.  I hope that moving forward, Frost looks more towards his Husker playing days at NU than at his coaching stops in the PAC 12 and AAC to find answers moving forward.  He is our coach.  he is not going anywhere.  I just hope that he really does a deep dive on his process and refine what he is doing.  

I agree, BIG10 is different from AAC and PAC 12, but we haven’t even been successful at beating the bottom feeder PAC-12 school (Colorado). I also doubt we can beat the good AAC or any PAC-12 programs. So, I don’t think this is no longer a viable excuse for us to make a comparison to. 

If I hear one more time that the players are the issue, I’m going to vomit. I keep hearing there is no leadership on this team from the players. Wake up people, OUR COACHES ARE THE LEADERS!!!!!

By the way, let’s remember that Frost’s first recruiting class are Juniors next year. Enough with the Riley And Bo P. recruiting  classes excuses!!!

• Fire 1

13 minutes ago, FieldHog said:

By the way, let’s remember that Frost’s first recruiting class are Juniors next year. Enough with the Riley And Bo P. recruiting  classes excuses!!!

Frost's first recruiting class hasn't turned out real well.  But he was hired weeks before the December signing day.

The '18 and '19 classes are looking better, especially the OL which I think many Husker fans are excited about.

Riley sucked.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, FieldHog said:

I agree, BIG10 is different from AAC and PAC 12, but we haven’t even been successful at beating the bottom feeder PAC-12 school (Colorado). I also doubt we can beat the good AAC or any PAC-12 programs. So, I don’t think this is no longer a viable excuse for us to make a comparison to. 

If I hear one more time that the players are the issue, I’m going to vomit. I keep hearing there is no leadership on this team from the players. Wake up people, OUR COACHES ARE THE LEADERS!!!!!

By saying they are Juniors next year, you mean to say they were sophomores this year, the only year by which they can be judged.  And, they were a class for which Frost had about 20 days to assemble.  A good portion of his recruits are not playing this year.  Now, Frost himself has a lot of growing to do as a coach.  A lot.  But don't go making vague, unsupportable rants about things that don't, at this point, matter.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Ziebol said:

To be fair, if Frost wasn’t a Nebraska legend and had 3 losing seasons in a row, every person on the board would want him gone.

Absolutely.  But he is a Nebraska legend.   And the blatant failures of the last 3 coaches have left this program in shambles.  He's learning on the job, no doubt.  I feel bad for folks that expected him to come in and replicate his success at UCF.  From the start of his hire, I felt the 7 years would be needed to get this program back to respectability.  I still think that.  In the mean time, seasons may and will suck.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

Absolutely.  But he is a Nebraska legend.   And the blatant failures of the last 3 coaches have left this program in shambles.  He's learning on the job, no doubt.  I feel bad for folks that expected him to come in and replicate his success at UCF.  From the start of his hire, I felt the 7 years would be needed to get this program back to respectability.  I still think that.  In the mean time, seasons may and will suck.

7 years seems like a truly arbitrary number. We should see significant progress next year 

13 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

Ok, Mrs Frost, stop ghost posting......7 years......right.

1 hour ago, grandpasknee said:

No coach is going to be given 7 years if next year is equal to our worse than this. That is the reality of college football today. Excuses are gone going into next year. Recruits that we all want won’t come to a losing program, that is a fact. Frost an inherited a sinking ship, I will admit that, but thus far he is patching those holes with  paper towels and the water is creeping in. Through two seasons he is the worst coach to have coached at Nebraska and I don’t see any chances of improvement with what we have, what we will lose, and the schedules we have coming up. 

Also I don’t think people expected him to have a year two miracle like he did at UCF, but people did expect competence. We don’t look like we have progressed a single bit since Riley left except we talk more. 

• Fire 1
19 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Frost inherited a sinking ship, I will admit that, 

Problem is the last 2 years have proven him to be in waters that are to big.   Mistakes are magnified in the Big Ocean and he’s making too many each week.  If he doesn’t get some experienced mates, or have divine intervention to help him there will be a mutiny.