if we go 5-7 in 2020, is frost the coach in 2021?

BoSolich

I think there is a whole lot of differing views on the topic of Frost and different questions that should be asked.  

1.  First, does Frost deserve valid criticism now that he has finished a 2nd season here (regardless of the situation he inherited?  I think most would say yes, but some refuse to accept any criticism of him or his staff until Frost has been given 3 or 4 full seasons.

2.  Second, should folks be calling for Frost's firing after the end of the second season?  I would say most are saying no, and similarly most would say no at the end of the third season if this teams finishes with 4 to 6 wins in 2020.  But, if that were to happen by the end of the third season, Frost's aura of inevitability would fade, and you would see more fans starting to apply pressure on Moos and the board calling for drastic changes to the staff.  I think if Nebraska can get to 7 wins next season that will be enough progress to quiet some who are skeptical of where he has the program aheaded (myself included).  

3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I think there is a whole lot of differing views on the topic of Frost and different questions that should be asked.  

1.  First, does Frost deserve valid criticism now that he has finished a 2nd season here (regardless of the situation he inherited?  I think most would say yes, but some refuse to accept any criticism of him or his staff until Frost has been given 3 or 4 full seasons.

2.  Second, should folks be calling for Frost's firing after the end of the second season?  I would say most are saying no, and similarly most would say no at the end of the third season if this teams finishes with 4 to 6 wins in 2020.  But, if that were to happen by the end of the third season, Frost's aura of inevitability would fade, and you would see more fans starting to apply pressure on Moos and the board calling for drastic changes to the staff.  I think if Nebraska can get to 7 wins next season that will be enough progress to quiet some who are skeptical of where he has the program aheaded (myself included).  

I will disagree with 2, as there are several here that will not be happy with 7 wins.  I beleive we are in the minority, as I would be happy with 7 wins.

13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Florida (supposedly another Frost suitor) went from 4-7 under McElwain to two 10 win seasons under Mullen.

The 4 years prior to Mullen for Florida had class rankings of 11,12,9 and 21. If Frost inherited that level of talent I think Frost wouldnt be saying he needed more talent. Instead he I inherited mid to low 20s classes and honestly I dont even know if the 2017 class counts as a class considering how few are even here :-( 

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I will disagree with 2, as there are several here that will not be happy with 7 wins.  I beleive we are in the minority, as I would be happy with 7 wins.

I would not be super happy but 7 would be enough to show progress given how horrid the first 2 seasons have been, and also considering we have a tougher 2020 schedule it appears.  I honestly expected the program would be at 7 to 9 wins by year 2.

10 hours ago, knapplc said:

But you're talking about getting rid of Green, Osborne, boosters, Mooster and Frost.

Because that's what it's going to take.

No, it wouldn't. Osborne is loyal to a fault. I would hardly count on Green and Moos showing the kind of blind faith you're talking about. If we have another disappointing season boosters will be pissed. Season ticket holders expected to pay a grand fee to keep their tickets only to watch a bad product will be pissed. Frost's seat will get hot and we should at least see substantial staffing upgrades, the kind he should've made when he took the job and that Florida had demanded. 

Frost will be here, no matter how bad the next two season's go. Then things will get interesting. 

If he was at Fla, he would have one more year to turn it around. I can see why Fla wanted him to change some of his staff.

I think this staff can grow along with Scott, but if it doesn't get any better after next year, he will have to make some tough decisions. 

We are 1 game better than last year, and I can see the team doing a little better. There were 2-3 games they let slip away late, so we should see some improvement at late game management, on both sides of the ball.

Scott's first recruiting class was so rushed, you could say he only had one, with any time to really evaluate but the second one. This is no time to be calling for anyone's head.

GBR!!!

Edited by huskered17
23 hours ago, Ziebol said:

I don’t know how you can say he hasn’t. He came in and crapped all over the previous staff, which everyone loved, and has yet to put up better results. You can say culture and buy in all you want, but this years schedule was a joke and he failed to get to a bowl. Our “star” qb has regressed to the point that people want our back up in, he mismanaged redshirts very poorly this year, his recruiting has taken a steep nosedive where we are now relying on low ranked Juco products who in their own words are saving a spot with us, our special teams is the worst I have ever seen, OLB play and recruiting is abysmal, ILB recruiting and play is abysmal. There has been no progress for this team since Riley left and Frost entered except they have the best Monday practices in the history of college football. 

I'll tell exactly why he hasn't used up his rope. It's quite simple: The University and AD have made up their mind via their actions that Scott Frost is the only option as HC to restore Nebraska Football back to it's once long running dominant stature. They are All N and completely sold out on Scott Frost to do the job. From their perspective,  if Scott can't get it done, then the program is dead and can't be restored. By giving him a 2 year extension,  they are telling us/fan base that its Frost or Nothing. If you've ever heard of the saying: I'll Show You Better Than I Can Tell You ..... this is exactly what it looks like. We are being shown before our very eyes.  Therefore,  Scott is here until he chooses to step off. We can buckle , grin and bear it through the embarrassing losses to come or Find other things to do with our time on Saturdays until we return to relevance.

Anyway GBR☠

I still think Frost has a shot at turning things around, but only if he is willing to change.  He probably needs a play calling OC, so he can be more of a CEO and focus on the little things like the miscommunication with special teams or other critical situations where players need to be aware of things they just can't be doing on a play.  He also can't ride or die with certain players like Martinez.  If it is pretty clear in the spring or summer that Martinez isn't going to be much better, he needs to get off his bandwagon fast as it is critical Nebraska gets off to a fast start next year with the very tough final 5 games.  There are a couple games this season where if we had a different QB we'd probably be bowl bound.  Also, if a play doesn't work like those swing passes, don't keep on constantly going back to it.  I don't care if the "play is there", if they can't execute it, they can't execute it.

I'm not one of those people that thinks it is Frost or bust, although I'd give him 2 more years.  If this "Florida Fast" fails, I hope we bring in a coach more willing to adopt a Wisconsin type playing style as I think that is probably our best opportunity to succeed long term since we just don't have the 5 star athletes to act like we are Ohio State.  We don't need a big name star.  Pelini was more successful than Riley or Callahan because he was the closest to what Nebraska used to be.

15 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I would not be super happy but 7 would be enough to show progress given how horrid the first 2 seasons have been, and also considering we have a tougher 2020 schedule it appears.  I honestly expected the program would be at 7 to 9 wins by year 2.

Schedule looks tougher because how we have been playing.   Ohio st.  Is the only team way ahead of us.  We need some more play makers at wr & lb and both lines need another year of weight training.