if we go 5-7 in 2020, is frost the coach in 2021?

BoSolich

2 hours ago, SFW said:

4 losing seasons is a long leash.  

Long leashes can be deadly.

Moose’s leash isn’t as long.  

Moos hired the man that the vast majority of this fan base wanted. The same guy that most people considered to be the #1 available college coaching candidate in 2017.

He also hired one of the top 3 available college bball coaches last year and is spearheading a massive facilities upgrade.

All things considered, I don't think Moos has much to worry about even if Frost doesn't work out.

28 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Moos hired the man that the vast majority of this fan base wanted. The same guy that most people considered to be the #1 available college coaching candidate in 2017.

He also hired one of the top 3 available college bball coaches last year and is spearheading a massive facilities upgrade.

All things considered, I don't think Moos has much to worry about even if Frost doesn't work out.

I like Moos but...not many if any ADs survive bad football hires.

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

There's no question more games should have been won.  The one possession losses were frustrating to fans and to Frost.

I think that's why there's some confidence that a few things......special teams improvement, interior OL improvement and pass rush to name a few......will help not only win those games, but increase margin of victory.

Honestly, having a kicker that can kick it out of the endzone on kickoffs would do wonders. The FG kicker looked good, especially considering he was a soccer player before. I don't think he has missed anything yet. Is he back again next year?

The interior of the line improved during the year. Especially Jurgens. I know Jaimes is back, but I was never a huge fan of his, but he did okay against a really good pass rusher. Farniok should slide inside, so hopefully Benhart can step up at RT. One thing I have noticed with this staff is that they do go after skill positions, but the lines are not being neglected in the process. 

I honestly have no idea what to expect from the defense next year. We are losing a good chunk of production from that group on all three levels. 

35 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Agreed. I'm not sure why we would consider firing Moos. He has done nothing but hire what was seen at the time as the best available. 

• Plus1 2

5 hours ago, SFW said:

This wasn't a Mike Riley type hire that showed Eichorst just didn't know what he was doing. Moos made what folks across the country considered to be a great hire, hopefully Frost ends-up meeting those expectations, but if he doesn't I think folks will be understanding towards Moos.

There's a lot of writing out there about what 'makes a great leader'.  They all tend to say the same thing.  Good leaders are:

1. Effective problem-solvers

2. Results-driven

3. Supportive of others

4. Encouraging of ideas

5. Champions of change

So how does Frost look when we go down the list?  If I apply it to Moos then it's an A+.  For the staff it is a bag of mixed results.  Some score pretty high, some are difficult to score.  But it gets very murky with Frost.  He's a leader to some on an A+ for sure.  But the further from the favorites of the staff it seems to get muddied.  I don't think Frost is an F or a D to any of his players.  But he probably was a C at best with Riley's players he couldn't see any use for on the team.  Was it intentional.  I don't think so.  It might come across cold, but he's honest.  He's also telling it like it is.  I think the problem is he didn't use the talent at hand to play the short game and he hasn't really explained the long game.  It's a rough position to be in, because he doesn't want to give all his secrets of his vision away in a public fashion.  So it is frustrating to see the team fail.  And there were a hundred ways he could have reached 8 wins this year.  I'm hoping he sandbagged on the competition and we really can start seeing results in at least a relevant bowl next year.

9 hours ago, SFW said:

In a vacuum I agree, but few AD's hire the #1 overall coaching candidate in the fan's and industry's eyes. This is one of those rare circumstances where the AD would likely outlast the coach they hired.

It's fair to say more than 90% of this fan base wanted Frost two years ago. He was also the most sought after coaching candidate. I can't imagine many people sitting here with a straight face and suggesting Moos be let go for that, unless we want to fire ourselves as fans, too.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

When Riley was hired many folks across the country thought that was a great hire for us as well. Even though it doesn't look so great right now, I hope the Frost hire works out.

Then again, maybe I shouldn't....I hoped Callahan, Pelini and Riley would all work out too...hmmm...

Mike Riley was the worst hire in Nebraksa history.

23 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

When Riley was hired many folks across the country thought that was a great hire for us as well. Even though it doesn't look so great right now, I hope the Frost hire works out.

Then again, maybe I shouldn't....I hoped Callahan, Pelini and Riley would all work out too...hmmm...

TBH I don't remember much of the national commentary Riley received after his hiring announcement, but I remember a lot of the local commentary was borderline manic. Many of us were basically trying to convince ourselves that the hire made sense even though there were a ton of red flags. I include myself in that group.

Frost was (and still is, in my opinion) different. He didn't come in with the same baggage. The results of his first two seasons haven't really altered my perspective or hopes for him much. I'm certainly bummed things haven't gone differently, but I still have a ton of faith and confidence in him at this point personally.

3 hours ago, Enhance said:

In a vacuum I agree, but few AD's hire the #1 overall coaching candidate in the fan's and industry's eyes. This is one of those rare circumstances where the AD would likely outlast the coach they hired.

It's fair to say more than 90% of this fan base wanted Frost two years ago. He was also the most sought after coaching candidate. I can't imagine many people sitting here with a straight face and suggesting Moos be let go for that, unless we want to fire ourselves as fans, too.

If Frost doesn't work out, Moos is probably gone.  If Frost does work out, Moos is still probably gone.  I think most of us can agree that Frost gets 5-7 years.  Moos will be into his 70's by the time Frost's time is either up or renewed.  I guess I've always thought of Moos as almost an interim AD.  He's done a great job, but I highly doubt he's AD here for ten years.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, junior4949 said:

If Frost doesn't work out, Moos is probably gone.  If Frost does work out, Moos is still probably gone.  I think most of us can agree that Frost gets 5-7 years.  Moos will be into his 70's by the time Frost's time is either up or renewed.  I guess I've always thought of Moos as almost an interim AD.  He's done a great job, but I highly doubt he's AD here for ten years.

I would be inclined to agree about his overall tenure based on his age. My primary point was that I think Moos' job security is more exclusive of Frost's successes/failures than a lot of other ADs and head coaches around the country.

Scott Frost will be at Nebraska for five years, MINIMUM.  We have no other choice unless NU wants to take a huge hit financially and image wise.  NU has no other options at this time and maybe most importantly, Frost is (in my opinion) still the best candidate to turn things around,  especially if he can learn from his mistakes.