Iowa...what did learn?

chamrocck

I learned that Scott Frost has a very long way to go and his ego can cost us as many games as the poor defense. I also learned that we do not have a talent issue but a serious coaching issue. We have had much higher ranking classes of recruits over the past decade in comparison to Iowa yet we have failed to beat them in six of our last seven matches. That tells me that it is not the lack of talent that costs us games but the inability of coaches to get the talent we have ready to play. Nebraska opened up its check book in hopes that we get the right coaches. The way this season ended sure leaves a very sour taste in every husker fan. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 4

I learned that three star recruit Nate Stanley is a much better QB than four star Adrian Martinez. Nate delivered when his team needed him. Adrian showed how little he understands his position when he stopped the clock by going out of bounds allowing Iowa enough time to get into field position. Let us face it, he did that because he was afraid to take a hit and not because of the flimsy excuse that he and Frost gave. I said it during the game thread, put in Luke and we win, leave Martinez and we lose. What is there more to learn. We already know where Martinez will take us...definitely not bowling.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

- Moral victories get frustrating but I was proud of how we competed. I really love watching our successful run plays more than anything.

- Our DBs still make some mistakes but they’re so much better under this staff.

- Our LBs looked slow and flat footed for a lot of the year but they’ve really come on strong last couple games and are blowing plays up. That’s usually a sign that they were overthinking stuff.

- We talk a lot of trash and toe the line of unnecessary penalties a lot. We didn’t get called for them today but I think this is where the “no fear of failure” mantra really comes in since UCF also had a problem with penalties under Frost. I like seeing players amped up but have to stay in control.

- Excited for spring camp. Should be some competition at several spots.

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

They won’t be top 15, and it’s unfair to expect that after this season.  I’m hoping for top 25 with little attrition. 

You can have the fastest car on the pitch, if you don’t know how to drive it, you will lose. What is the point of having a top 15 recruiting class if the coaches can’t get them ready for a game. I am sorry but if anyone here thinks that Alabama is where they are simply because of their recruiting classes, and not because Saban knows how to coach them, then what is the point of good coaches. We have some of the best players in the country. Spielman, wandale, McCaffrey and what have we done with them? Why didn’t we get the ball to spielman!? In any other team, spielman would already have more than 1000 yards receiving. We have failed him and continue to fail our talented players. 

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We learned some Husker fans are entitled whiny children who lash out when they don't get what they want.

Wait... we already knew that. Nevermind. 

Yea three years, 13 wins. Super entitled. 

3 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

And Scott Frost wouldn't even be in the top 50 coaches on Huskerboard.

He isn’t in the top half of the BIG 10 right now. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, huskerfan74 said:

You can have the fastest car on the pitch, if you don’t know how to drive it, you will lose. What is the point of having a top 15 recruiting class if the coaches can’t get them ready for a game. I am sorry but if anyone here thinks that Alabama is where they are simply because of their recruiting classes, and not because Saban knows how to coach them, then what is the point of good coaches. We have some of the best players in the country. Spielman, wandale, McCaffrey and what have we done with them? Why didn’t we get the ball to spielman!? In any other team, spielman would already have more than 1000 yards receiving. We have failed him and continue to fail our talented players. 

I think we have some talented players but those top classes get you great players and depth year after year...that is how you build a powerhouse. I love Wandale but it was easy to see (and predicted by many) he was going to wear down.  If there were other top players around him he'd be that much better.  We need more weapons everywhere.  We have put too much stock in one or two skill players that are supposed to make us a championship team.  Doesn't work that way...I want to see top OL and DL recruits to start.