Iowa...what did learn?

chamrocck

7 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

Not to take away from isu or Matt, he has done a great job there, but the big 12 is not even close to the same league the big 10 is. I do live watching the way they play though, no fear and tough 

And Frost came from the AAC and PAC 12.  I agree with you in that the B1G is a bruising physical league.  PAC 12 tough isn't the same as B1G tough.   Frost is here to stay. I just hope he looks back more to his Nebraska playing days than his PAC 12 and AAC coaching days to find answers moving forward.........

• Fire 1

We are experts at giving games away, even with the refs trying their damndest to help us as much as possible.  

Martinez sucks more than he doesn't and Luke had a better game than he did with only one pass attempt.  

Offensive line looks good and will be a strength next season.  

Mills is a man, reminds me of Oz at the end of last season.  

Frost needs to stop being cute with his play calling, just go with what is working.  

The defense was very good except for the first quarter when they were absolutely terrible.  Likely going to be a weak spot next season even though we lose the Riley players.  Holding Stanley to under 50% completion percentage (drops didn't help him at all) and under 100 yards passing is pretty sweet.  

This: 

nebraska_wbg.png Nebraska Comp Att Pct Yds Y/A TD Int Sack YdsL QBRat
10 18 55.6 50 2.8 0 1 2 12 67.8
1 1 100.0 39 39.0 1 0 0 0 757.6

• Fire 1
19 minutes ago, lo country said:

And Frost came from the AAC and PAC 12.  I agree with you in that the B1G is a bruising physical league.  PAC 12 tough isn't the same as B1G tough.   Frost is here to stay. I just hope he looks back more to his Nebraska playing days than his PAC 12 and AAC coaching days to find answers moving forward.........

Although I agree the Big Ten is a different beast then the PAC-12 and obviously the AAC and you need your team DNA to be more toward the Big Ten type, but while Frost was at Oregon, those Oregon teams beat Michigan State and came within a score of beating MSU at MSU during Michigan State's heyday and at the time truly a prototype of Big Ten built DNA. They also played Ohio State tough in the 2009 Rose Bowl and really the only game Oregon's team got overmatched was the National title game vs Ohio State. They also beat Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl and again, Wisconsin was a typical Big Ten built team at the time.

Simply put, whatever direction Frost is going, he just doesn't have the players for it yet.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Although I agree the Big Ten is a different beast then the PAC-12 and obviously the AAC and you need your team DNA to be more toward the Big Ten type, but while Frost was at Oregon, those Oregon teams beat Michigan State and came within a score of beating MSU at MSU during Michigan State's heyday and at the time truly a prototype of Big Ten built DNA. They also played Ohio State tough in the 2009 Rose Bowl and really the only game Oregon's team got overmatched was the National title game vs Ohio State. They also beat Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl and again, Wisconsin was a typical Big Ten built team at the time.

Simply put, whatever direction Frost is going, he just doesn't have the players for it yet.

How long until we have the players to beat Purdue and Indiana?

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 2
2 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Something is seriously wrong with Martinez.  I won't be surprised if it comes out in the following week that he was playing on a torn ACL or some other really serious injury.  Excellent post by @chamrocck

On a lighter note, I learned the HB board AI is getting way smarter.  I saw several ads for Pepto Bismol as the game ended.  Get out of my head Skynet!

"Martinez was playing through a serious injury" would just add to the "why tf is he playing then??" crowd. It made no sense to keep him in for most of this year when he looked off and not like a guy who could give us the best chance to win

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

21 minutes ago, lo country said:

I want Chin to succeed....I want the team to succeed, but to date, not a lot of definitive positives to take away.

I think this is where a lot of people are.  A lot of us aren’t calling for staff terminations...nor are we saying ‘next year or else’ or ‘2021 or else’.

My frustration is with what we can see and measure.  I am honestly at a loss when I hear some of the rationalizations surface on this board....which are almost always conveniently based on nebulous, intangible factors. Things like ‘buy-in’, ‘culture’, and ‘a few plays away’. 

I am disappointed with the team and coaching staff so far. Maybe the team was worse off than we thought when the staff arrived, but perhaps the staff was not as great as we thought when they arrived as well. I’m hoping they grow as coaches and I think they should get a long leash. 

A long leash does not mean they shouldn’t be held accountable for what we see on the field during the process.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Igetbored216 said:

We need to throw more swing passes. Especially when Adrian is QB. He's really good at those passes

I was watching UCF play USF and they threw the same pass a ton most of the time with one receiver blocking and got 8-12 yards every time so I see why frost uses it obviously you have to execute your assignment in order for it to work. 

9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Where did we regress on defense? So yes I would like you to post others

Constraining ourselves to defense conveniently.  Nebraska gave up fewer points and yards this year than last.  Looking at conference play, they gave up 30 ppg thus year vs 35.4 last year. I would argue that they traded Michigan for Maryland, which makes a bit of difference. Purdue and Northwestern were considerably worse on offense. Although Ohio St and Minnesota were better. 

Overall, in 2 seasons, NUs defense has allowed 27 or more points in all but 3 conference games.  

3 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Something is seriously wrong with Martinez.  I won't be surprised if it comes out in the following week that he was playing on a torn ACL or some other really serious injury.  

Something indeed is wrong. I don’t buy the “not fully healthy “ facade we’ve been hearing unless they’re talking about between his ears. I don’t claim to have all the answers, but I would point to two possibilities:  

1.  Duval bulked him up too much.  At an offseason function heard Duval talking about how AM squats 500lb. Anyone with eyes can see AM is noticeably slower than last year and lost that impressive burst he had.  The QB doesn’t need tree trunks for legs.  Get him back to 210 or so and get that speed back. It was one of his best assets and is what made him so dangerous. 

2.  Verduzco overcomplicated things and screwed up his mechanics and decision making.  Some players you just need to let play and don’t need to take a 700 question test about every scenario. Because clearly AM has shown indecisiveness this season that wasn’t as evident in 2018.  I don’t know how you fix this one.  Just don’t repeat with the next guy I suppose. Natural abilities and instincts are better than a Ph.D. In quarterbacking theory. 

Who knows what it really was, but these are my suspicions.  

• Plus1 1