Iowa...what did learn?

chamrocck

Here are some thoughts after letting 24 hours go by after the loss.

Positives

1.  The team did not quit

2.  The defense got it together after a horrible start

3.  McCaffrey provided a much needed spark

Negatives:

1.  Martinez struggled again throughout much of the game and didn't play smart, going out of bounds late in the game to allow Iowa one final drive.

2.  Special teams struggled again with coverage allowing a TD

3.  Play calling and game management was poor again

4.  In a must-win situation the Huskers somehow find a way to lose the game.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Something indeed is wrong. I don’t buy the “not fully healthy “ facade we’ve been hearing unless they’re talking about between his ears. I don’t claim to have all the answers, but I would point to two possibilities:  

1.  Duval bulked him up too much.  At an offseason function heard Duval talking about how AM squats 500lb. Anyone with eyes can see AM is noticeably slower than last year and lost that impressive burst he had.  The QB doesn’t need tree trunks for legs.  Get him back to 210 or so and get that speed back. It was one of his best assets and is what made him so dangerous. 

2.  Verduzco overcomplicated things and screwed up his mechanics and decision making.  Some players you just need to let play and don’t need to take a 700 question test about every scenario. Because clearly AM has shown indecisiveness this season that wasn’t as evident in 2018.  I don’t know how you fix this one.  Just don’t repeat with the next guy I suppose. Natural abilities and instincts are better than a Ph.D. In quarterbacking theory. 

Who knows what it really was, but these are my suspicions.  

Both are definite possibilities.  Verduzzco has noticeably escaped criticism.  Is it because he looks like Hannibal Smith from the A-Team?

2 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

We need more hot takes about swing passes.  It's obvious people that make these comments know more about football than Frost.

I don't need to be a professional cook to know when food sucks. 

I also don't need to know more about football than Frost or be a coach to know that they weren't working. Why run something over and over that consistently lost yards or went for no gain? The play calling was horrendous. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

We need more hot takes about swing passes.  It's obvious people that make these comments know more about football than Frost.

I agree with Igetbored on this. I have never watched a game where announcers were so baffled and just utterly confused by the horrid playcalling, specifically the swing pass. I watch college football all day most Saturdays and I have never seen a game where this happened. It was like the announcers (along with majority of people watching) were trying to will Nebraska to NOT run that play again because it wasn't ever going to work, everyone realized it but the coaches somehow...unless they did too but still wanted to run a play they knew wasn't going to work. :bang

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Aliens05 said:

I agree with Igetbored on this. I have never watched a game where announcers were so baffled and just utterly confused by the horrid playcalling, specifically the swing pass. I watch college football all day most Saturdays and I have never seen a game where this happened. It was like the announcers (along with majority of people watching) were trying to will Nebraska to NOT run that play again because it wasn't ever going to work, everyone realized it but the coaches somehow...unless they did too but still wanted to run a play they knew wasn't going to work. :bang

You must not actually watch much because it happens all the time. People always bitched about Kiffin doing it. Every time an offense doesn't work the fanbase very quickly "knows" how to fix it.  I don't think the issue is that coches can't see a play isn't working. The fans can't see the forest through the trees. It could be that play was trying to set up for getting deep. It's just a quicker stretch run and looks a lot like it's a read and not just an auto throw every time.  Who knows what the plan was for that play or why he thought it was going to work but I'm sure the coaches have watched 100s of hours more of film on both teams than anyone commenting has.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Aliens05 said:

If Matt fricken Millen could figure it out...

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

53 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Ive never understood this and there are just so many problems with this arguement and thought process it is just embarrassing and sad.

'Hes the coach so he must know best and no one is able to question what they do'

Using that logic, Riley would still be here because he knew best because he was the coach, hue jackson should never have been fired because we was the coach and he knew best. Bobby Petrino never should have been fired because he was the coach and he knew best.

Coaches are not infallible and just because they are the coach does not make them infallible. The smartest people in the world make mistakes, bill belichick,  the best coach of our time makes mistakes.  Mistakes happen. Burying your head in the sand and ignoring glaringly obvious problems makes you a fool and i have some new shiny crypto currency to sell you.

That's a nice strawman and really weird tangent into crypto. Coaches can be fallible and you can still not know why or how they went wrong. Those 2 are not mutually exclusive. 

1 hour ago, Swiv3D said:

If Matt fricken Millen could figure it out...

From another thread from our passing game.....

On a similar note, NU got very little going in its horizontal passing game — swing passes, laterals and screens. Those represented eight of Nebraska’s 12 completions on the day and netted only 18 yards (including seven for zero yards or negative), by the Journal Star’s count.

On the day, we were 12-23 for 100 yards (includes Luke's 39 yards to JD)  Also includes 4 guys who threw a pass, AM, Noah, Luke and JD...

23 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

I learned that three star recruit Nate Stanley is a much better QB than four star Adrian Martinez. Nate delivered when his team needed him. Adrian showed how little he understands his position when he stopped the clock by going out of bounds allowing Iowa enough time to get into field position. Let us face it, he did that because he was afraid to take a hit and not because of the flimsy excuse that he and Frost gave. I said it during the game thread, put in Luke and we win, leave Martinez and we lose. What is there more to learn. We already know where Martinez will take us...definitely not bowling.

I was saying the same thing to my tv...