Iowa...what did learn?

chamrocck

1 minute ago, chamrocck said:

I think we have some talented players but those top classes get you great players and depth year after year...that is how you build a powerhouse. I love Wandale but it was easy to see (and predicted by many) he was going to wear down.  If there were other top players around him he'd be that much better.  We need more weapons everywhere.  We have put too much stock in one or two skill players that are supposed to make us a championship team.  Doesn't work that way...I want to see top OL and DL recruits to start.  

Exactly. Lines, base of the pyramid. Most guys on these lines wouldn't have started on our 2009 team.

You have bad lines, you don't control the line of scrimmage. Lose that battle, you have to get super creative with your play calling. Only you don't have those pieces, so half of your creativity doesn't work.

Everything struggles, the armchair coaches get bent, and you have the threads we have tonight.

• Plus1 1

49 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

I learned that Scott Frost has a very long way to go and his ego can cost us as many games as the poor defense. I also learned that we do not have a talent issue but a serious coaching issue. We have had much higher ranking classes of recruits over the past decade in comparison to Iowa yet we have failed to beat them in six of our last seven matches. That tells me that it is not the lack of talent that costs us games but the inability of coaches to get the talent we have ready to play. Nebraska opened up its check book in hopes that we get the right coaches. The way this season ended sure leaves a very sour taste in every husker fan. 

Talent is a big issue tho. Go back and look at Riley’s last 2 classes that were bloated with higher rated skill players that either didn’t step foot on campus or play meaningful snaps.

theres a reason why wandale, Maurice and Adrian are the only consistent Form of offense yet they’re youngins

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Exactly. Lines, base of the pyramid. Most guys on these lines wouldn't have started on our 2009 team.

You have bad lines, you don't control the line of scrimmage. Lose that battle, you have to get super creative with your play calling. Only you don't have those pieces, so half of your creativity doesn't work.

Everything struggles, the armchair coaches get bent, and you have the threads we have tonight.

It is hard to win when your lines are getting handled.

Martinez has actually taken points off the board so many times this year.  We can talk about his play all we want, but his turnovers in field goal range are inexcusable.  I’m not even gonna start with the sacks he takes.

The fire Chins stuff is funny.  I believe the offense has lost more games than the D....but it’s close.

I believe the “no bowl” isn’t that big of deal.  Close the door on 2019......next

Funny, against Colorado, did we suddenly get substantially less talented in the second half?

Does our defense become less talented on the opponents last possession of the game?

Does a lack of talent cause us to open the second half of a game with a timeout?

Now, I’m by no means calling for drastic changes, or at this point, any changes in staff And I realize we lack top tier talent on the OL, and overall team depth wise. But to lay all the problems off on talent is showing blind faith a staff that at this point doesn’t deserve that faith. I hope they get to the point that they do. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

I think we’ll go 2-6 against those teams next year.  Not great but that’s where we are at.  When people are sunshine pumping next pre-season, please bump this thread.  

I’m Not sure about 

NW or

SDS

We could lose those as well.

The Floor is 2-10

The Ceiling is 6-6

i think 4-8 is who we are.

The D will be much worse next year.  

• Thanks 1

I learned that memorial stadium is a badass place to watch a game. We got tickets in a different  section than we normally sit and it was so loud and bumpin, had one of my best experiences there in the 30+ times I’ve been. Greet crowd.  

I learned that swing passes don’t work as well as they used to. Last year we had this cool fake run play action where the TE would release out and catch the ball reverse field and be able to pick up 5-8 yds. Now we just turn and throw it...weird how it went to crap. 

I learned our defense can be salty without any real game changers. If the guys we have redshirting/coming in can make plays better, our D will be pretty good. 

We need a vertical passing game. Which means we NEED Manning or another guy 6’1” or taller. We have 6’6”+ TEs and we don’t really use them. It’s weird how we don’t have rub plays or seam routes anymore. 

I also learned that we do have resolve. We score then immediately give up a KO TD.  We responded well and nearly won the game. 

I learned our O line improved a s#!t ton from games 1-4. Good to see us gaining on that. 

Finally, I learned that I still love my Cornhuskers and we will be good again, winning the West most years and competing for top bowl games. I’m just not doom and gloom, I see progress! Even if it’s measured in inches. Football is a game of inches and every inch counts! 

• Plus1 2

Scott didn't seem to make much adjustments this season.  His excuse to not running I-formation more was that they didn't have enough plays for it.  Well, make some more.  Mills should have played more in the first half instead of all the swings and screens.  Putting in a different QB wins us this game and the Purdue game likely.  He doesn't seem to communicate well with his players so they know exactly what type of situation they are in like Martinez running out of bounds.  He has to be told before the play that running out of bounds is not an option, but wasn't.  If he had an OC that called the plays, he could focus more on little things like this.

Even when our defense plays better, they can still be counted on to let us down.  30 seconds left should have been an easy stop for the DC.  Reminds me of the defense collapses late in the Colorado, Purdue, and Indiana games.  Gotta make stops when the game is on the line.  Even with some calls that went our way, Iowa still got in FG range.