Iowa...what did learn?

chamrocck

54 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

I was watching UCF play USF and they threw the same pass a ton most of the time with one receiver blocking and got 8-12 yards every time so I see why frost uses it obviously you have to execute your assignment in order for it to work. 

Soooo, keep using it even though it hasn't worked well all year long? I don't really care what was used at UCF. It hasn't worked at Nebraska with these players. Maybe adjust and don't use it that much. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

29 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Constraining ourselves to defense conveniently.  Nebraska gave up fewer points and yards this year than last.  Looking at conference play, they gave up 30 ppg thus year vs 35.4 last year. I would argue that they traded Michigan for Maryland, which makes a bit of difference. Purdue and Northwestern were considerably worse on offense. Although Ohio St and Minnesota were better. 

Overall, in 2 seasons, NUs defense has allowed 27 or more points in all but 3 conference games.  

So you don't have stats to suggest we regressed on defense. That's because we progressed. I stuck to defense because the post you were replying to was talking about Chinander. Obviously the offense regressed and we still won 1 more than last year. That's because our defense was better.

• Thanks 4
1 hour ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I think this is where a lot of people are.  A lot of us aren’t calling for staff terminations...nor are we saying ‘next year or else’ or ‘2021 or else’.

My frustration is with what we can see and measure.  I am honestly at a loss when I hear some of the rationalizations surface on this board....which are almost always conveniently based on nebulous, intangible factors. Things like ‘buy-in’, ‘culture’, and ‘a few plays away’. 

I am disappointed with the team and coaching staff so far. Maybe the team was worse off than we thought when the staff arrived, but perhaps the staff was not as great as we thought when they arrived as well. I’m hoping they grow as coaches and I think they should get a long leash. 

A long leash does not mean they shouldn’t be held accountable for what we see on the field during the process.

I have bashed on Chin a lot this year......But here is some interesting stats from the game from an article (a good one) from Stryker over on HM:

Iowa ran the ball 10 times for 152 yards and two touchdowns and led 14-3 after one quarter. They would get only 73 more rushing yards the rest of the game.

The Hawkeyes (9-3, 6-3) piled up 191 yards of total offense in the first quarter, but could muster only 133 more the rest of the game.

Their rush game sucked all season....Until they played NU, BUT the D was able to adjust and shut them down in the running game.  And save for the last drive......

If we can ever put together a complete game (Maryland) I think this team is "capable" of having a winning season.  I just have no idea why we can't get it together...

https://www.huskermax.com/stryker-mental-mistakes-send-huskers-home-for-holidays-again/ 

10 minutes ago, lo country said:

I have bashed on Chin a lot this year......But here is some interesting stats from the game from an article (a good one) from Stryker over on HM:

Iowa ran the ball 10 times for 152 yards and two touchdowns and led 14-3 after one quarter. They would get only 73 more rushing yards the rest of the game.

The Hawkeyes (9-3, 6-3) piled up 191 yards of total offense in the first quarter, but could muster only 133 more the rest of the game.

Their rush game sucked all season....Until they played NU, BUT the D was able to adjust and shut them down in the running game.  And save for the last drive......

If we can ever put together a complete game (Maryland) I think this team is "capable" of having a winning season.  I just have no idea why we can't get it together...

https://www.huskermax.com/stryker-mental-mistakes-send-huskers-home-for-holidays-again/ 

2 runs in the first quarter accounted for 110 yards and 14 points. That isn't acceptable but those 2 plays were outliers to the rest of the defensive performance.

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Ppg allowed

2017: 36.4

2018: 33.3

2019: 27.8

Total defense yards per play

2017: 6.3

2018: 5.7

2019: 5.5 

Good stats. Thanks for posting. I would say the defense as a whole did improve even if it wasn’t drastic.  I’m betting we see  an improvement next year as well. 

• Plus1 5
10 hours ago, SFW said:

The Floor is 2-10

The Ceiling is 6-6

This is a really dumb take :lol: the ceiling is 6-6? In 2018 we were two plays away from 6-6 (Northwestern OT and Iowa game expiring field goal), and another "play" away from 7 wins if Adrian doesn't get hurt against CU.

In 2019 we were another two plays away from 6-6 (Iowa game expiring field goal and Colorado OT), and two other games where we were inches away from 8 wins. 

So you're saying a team that has been near a 6-6 mark and is going to flip the roster into more developed talent and have another year of experience under a consistent system with coaches that will hopefully learn and grow as well, has zero percent chance of doing better than 6-6?

Who hurt you that you see the world so bleakly lol

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 4
3 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Good stats. Thanks for posting. I would say the defense as a whole did improve even if it wasn’t drastic.  I’m betting we see  an improvement next year as well. 

It was small improvement but right now that's all we can ask for. Next year we need a bigger jump but Chinander is doing his job imo. Very very rarely can you go from basically dead last in P5 to top 30 in 2 years. With the right roster it's possible (see Carl Pelini) but this roster was depleted whether people like it or not.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

It is actually not what message boards are for - at least, not exclusively.

Correct. Not exclusively, but it’s there. Always has been. Always will be. It’s an avenue to vent frustration and get a sense of what others feel. And hopefully add some helpful insight. Surely many posters are lacking in the latter. I just ignore them like I do with supporters of a certain president.  

Our defense looks better because we have played more putrid offenses this year

2019 Opponents by Points per Game / 2018 Opponents by Points per Game

1 / 8

16 / 21

19 / 44

47 / 51

68 / 52

85 / 62

97 / 65

98 / 80

101 / 93

105 / 100

121 / 126

128 / FCS #42

2019 Opponents by Yards per Play / 2018 Opponents by Yards per Play

8 / 11

25 / 16

28 / 19

46 / 42

83 / 51

87 / 53

92 / 67

95 / 91

101 / 94

110 / 124

111 / 125

128 / FCS #39

10 minutes ago, Landlord said:

This is a really dumb take :lol: the ceiling is 6-6? In 2018 we were two plays away from 6-6 (Northwestern OT and Iowa game expiring field goal), and another "play" away from 7 wins if Adrian doesn't get hurt against CU.

In 2019 we were another two plays away from 6-6 (Iowa game expiring field goal and Colorado OT), and two other games where we were inches away from 8 wins. 

So you're saying a team that has been near a 6-6 mark and is going to flip the roster into more developed talent and have another year of experience under a consistent system with coaches that will hopefully learn and grow as well, has zero percent chance of doing better than 6-6?

Who hurt you that you see the world so bleakly lol

Speaking of dumb takes....football is a game of inches.  

We fail in the game of inches because of coaching.  Not effort or talent or lack of.

The schedule next year is much tougher than this years.  So yes if we get lucky we might get 6 wins.  

We lost all those games you mentioned above for a reason...in game coaching blunders.   No reason to think that’s going to change:

No hurt but yes the reality I saw this season does indeed lead to a bleak outlook.  

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

- Moral victories get frustrating but I was proud of how we competed. I really love watching our successful run plays more than anything.

- Our DBs still make some mistakes but they’re so much better under this staff.

- Our LBs looked slow and flat footed for a lot of the year but they’ve really come on strong last couple games and are blowing plays up. That’s usually a sign that they were overthinking stuff.

- We talk a lot of trash and toe the line of unnecessary penalties a lot. We didn’t get called for them today but I think this is where the “no fear of failure” mantra really comes in since UCF also had a problem with penalties under Frost. I like seeing players amped up but have to stay in control.

- Excited for spring camp. Should be some competition at several spots.

We might have not had many penalties but the 15 yard penalty possibly cost us this game. It is not the quantity of penalties but the timing of them. However, I do agree that we committed less penalties in our last two games.

2 minutes ago, SFW said:

Speaking of dumb takes....football is a game of inches.  

We fail in the game of inches because of coaching.  Not effort or talent or lack of.

The schedule next year is much tougher than this years.  So yes if we get lucky we might get 6 wins.  

We lost all those games you mentioned above for a reason...in game coaching blunders.   No reason to think that’s going to change:

No hurt but yes the reality I saw this season does indeed lead to a bleak outlook.  

Coaches can change and grow. Especially young coaches without a ton of experience; those would be the coaches you would expect to improve more than others, are they not? 

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Coaches can change and grow. Especially young coaches without a ton of experience; those would be the coaches you would expect to improve more than others, are they not? 

I hope he can...so far he hasn’t changed from year 1 to 2.  Maybe regressed a little.

If he can blame himself he’s got a shot.

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

So you don't have stats to suggest we regressed on defense. That's because we progressed. I stuck to defense because the post you were replying to was talking about Chinander. Obviously the offense regressed and we still won 1 more than last year. That's because our defense was better.

If the point is that we were marginally better on defense this year and marginally worse on offense...then I think we can agree.