Special Teams

Undone

I think there's a pretty good argument to be made that poor special teams play was just as detrimental as any other single factor this season. Probably even worse than the stints of Adrian's indecisiveness.

It dawned on me that bemoaning our terrible kickoff coverage unit doesn't even happen if we just had one guy that could kick the ball to at least the middle of the end zone, forcing the other team to take a touch back. If you kick it deep, nobody runs it back. In all seriousness, it might be worth spending a scholarship on a JUCO kicker where the tape shows he can kick it into the back of the end zone roughly 80%+ of the time. 

Not only did we have them run the kickoff back for a touchdown, but we also had a failed pooch kick that let them easily get out to around the 37. Statistically and situationally, we would have been better off trying to kick it out of bounds deep down the field and let Wisconsin & Iowa take each possession at the 35. It's unreal to have a problem like this stretch across 12 games, and it's technically very easy to fix - find a JUCO kicker. If this problem persists next season it'll be pretty hard to watch.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

There is no doubt through two years kickers (of all kinds) have been an issue. It’s so much harder to manage a game when you can’t trust your kickers, as we’ve all seen.

On kickoffs, a touchback percentage of 80% is very high in college football, and not a trivial matter to achieve. 70% is a good goal to shoot for and will, year on year, put you near the tops in the nation amongst teams with a high number of attempts. Nebraska is not near either number, so certainly more recruiting focus here would greatly improve matters.

On the Iowa return:

That’s a good kick, all things considered. The reason that’s not a tackle inside the 25 is poor lane discipline costing contain. I realize the purpose of this thread is to suggest more touchback consistency eliminates opportunities for such mistakes, but I can’t really question the decision given that sort of talent doesn’t seem to be available.

With all of the coaching loopholes being exploited these days, perhaps a “graduate assistant” that specializes in kicking technique isn’t a bad idea. It’s a hole in most coaching staffs at this level.

10 minutes ago, brophog said:

There is no doubt through two years kickers (of all kinds) have been an issue. It’s so much harder to manage a game when you can’t trust your kickers, as we’ve all seen.

On kickoffs, a touchback percentage of 80% is very high in college football, and not a trivial matter to achieve. 70% is a good goal to shoot for and will, year on year, put you near the tops in the nation amongst teams with a high number of attempts. Nebraska is not near either number, so certainly more recruiting focus here would greatly improve matters.

On the Iowa return:

That’s a good kick, all things considered. The reason that’s not a tackle inside the 25 is poor lane discipline costing contain. I realize the purpose of this thread is to suggest more touchback consistency eliminates opportunities for such mistakes, but I can’t really question the decision given that sort of talent doesn’t seem to be available.

With all of the coaching loopholes being exploited these days, perhaps a “graduate assistant” that specializes in kicking technique isn’t a bad idea. It’s a hole in most coaching staffs at this level.

We kicked short prior to that TD return.  Who decided to go deep?  That's the question.....

5 minutes ago, Comish said:

According to head coach Scott Frost,  " He will have to find that out"....?!?!

You've got to be kidding me........WTH kind of HC doesn't know who is deciding what......Holy hell.....Frost needs to figure out a way to give up OC duties or learn to be both the OC and friggin HC    That comment explains a lot.  Like when previously asked about the D, "I'll have to watch film".

Is it possible that he is so involved in the play calling that he is oblivious to what's going on?  Who is in the box letting him know what the D is in?  What they are seeing from the booth vantage points.....Gotta learn Frost....Gottta learn

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, lo country said:

You've got to be kidding me........WTH kind of HC doesn't know who is deciding what......Holy hell.....Frost needs to figure out a way to give up OC duties or learn to be both the OC and friggin HC    That comment explains a lot.  Like when previously asked about the D, "I'll have to watch film".

Is it possible that he is so involved in the play calling that he is oblivious to what's going on?  Who is in the box letting him know what the D is in?  What they are seeing from the booth vantage points.....Gotta learn Frost....Gottta learn

Protecting his coaches...

• Plus1 3

10 hours ago, lo country said:

I wouldn't take vague Frost responses to the media as gospel.......