Special Teams

Undone

@ColoradoHusk "Kickoff return and coverage are still atrocious, which need to be improved.  I don't get how NU is so bad at those items, unless it's just a lack of overall athleticism or not trusting young studs to earn their PT there.  In NU's heydey, future stars would first show their skills on  special teams.  We haven't seen that happen in a long time."  

I don't know if it is coached but guys run down there and could possibly make a tackle right away but they engage the person trying to block them.  I'm more of the run down there like your hair is on fire and don't mess with anyone on the other team.  run around right or run around left (as far as blocking is concerned)  if everyone is on the same page it doesn't leave huge holes.  

Just now, Decked said:

I’d be fine if we just fair caught about every kick that came to us 

Pretty much.  I actually think most every team probably should.  There are just too many things to go wrong that out-weigh most potential gains (unless you have an absolute stud returner).  It takes a decent effort just to get past the 25 anyway.  Then there could be injuries, penalties or fumbles that would be worse than getting an extra 5-10 yards occasionally.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Pretty much.  I actually think most every team probably should.  There are just too many things to go wrong that out-weigh most potential gains (unless you have an absolute stud returner).  It takes a decent effort just to get past the 25 anyway.  Then there could be injuries, penalties or fumbles that would be worse than getting an extra 5-10 yards occasionally.  

Yep.  Now that you can fair catch outside the endzone and it goes to the 25, rarely should any team actually return one.

1 hour ago, Decked said:

I’d be fine if we just fair caught about every kick that came to us 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

38 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep.  Now that you can fair catch outside the endzone and it goes to the 25, rarely should any team actually return one.

Agreed, especially about the part where too much can go wrong.

While that opening return of the 3rd quarter was Nebraska's best kick off return in ages, there was a penalty and we ended up starting that drive at the 25 - right where we would have been had we just taken the fair catch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...