I've Got Two Hot Takes I'll Throw Out As Predictions

Landlord

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding we have a winner folks. Don't know about top 25 scoring defense but it won't be far off. This team is missing consistency, hmmm sounds like a young team to me. Bring some consistency and this team turns into the one the talking heads were projecting preseason.

• Plus1 1

I dont disagree and love the optimism.  On AM (and I have stayed off the other threads)  I think his play has been below average in comparison to AM as a freshman.  His numbers are still not bad. Decision making is definitely questionable. Are people forgetting he didn't play a snap as a senior in hs, missed a ton of time with injury so far. Only live reps can fix it. I love the energy LM brings. He may be the answer but the backup QB is always most popular.  I dont think you are far off. Problem is the schedule and putting trust back into this team. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

So it begins.

I predict by the end of fall camp and Nebraska will be the board's favorite to win the West.

The only thing holding us back from 6-9 win seasons the last two years is Frost's.....something. idk if it's ego, hubris, or what, but the sky is the limit if he figures himself out and the team will follow. 

I still dont' think we'll win more than maybe 8 games because our staff will still continue to learn on the job, but that'll be a different thing than my thoughts on Adrian and the defense.

• Plus1 1

44 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding we have a winner folks. Don't know about top 25 scoring defense but it won't be far off. This team is missing consistency, hmmm sounds like a young team to me. Bring some consistency and this team turns into the one the talking heads were projecting preseason.

This and better linebacker play, which I think we’ll see, will do wonders for Chin’s defense.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, Landlord said:

The only thing holding us back from 6-9 win seasons the last two years is Frost's.....something. idk if it's ego, hubris, or what, but the sky is the limit if he figures himself out and the team will follow. 

I still dont' think we'll win more than maybe 8 games because our staff will still continue to learn on the job, but that'll be a different thing than my thoughts on Adrian and the defense.

The defense is losing the entire starting line, the best CB, and the motivational leader. How can you say they will improve? I don’t see it at all. 

The offensive woes fall on our lack of WR depth, our QB regression, and our inconsistent flow of plays. Walters has not developed one good WR since he has been here. He was gifted with Stanley, JD, and a recruit in Wan’dale who would thrive at every school in the country (also one he wasn’t the lead recruiter in). I don’t see that improving next year at all. Betts isn’t a slam dunk because of grades and Manning still is not a commit yet people treat him as such. So again I do not see how you can say the offense will improve when no one has stepped up in 2 years that wasn’t already here as a WR. 

LB depth and play will be worse next year as well. Lack of depth and experience is going to show real quick. 

23 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

This and better linebacker play, which I think we’ll see, will do wonders for Chin’s defense.  

From whom?

• Plus1 3

Agreed about Martinez.  I think he'll come back with a fury next year.  And leave the sophomore jinx behind him.  

But I don't think we'll ever have very good defensive stats with the type of offense we run.  Our offense just has too many three-and-outs coupled with a fair number of quick scores.  That said, there is plenty of room for improvement on the defensive side of the ball.  Plenty.  

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

Might as well put myself on record so I can gloat about how smart I am a year from now, or I can forget and pretend like I never said anything if I'm wrong :lol:

First, here's something I really believe is going to happen. Adrian is going to go into the offseason pissed off with a chip on his shoulder. He's gonna go back down about 15 pounds, he's gonna get an extra step back, and with freshly healthy legs (and shoulder?), a more developed line and receiver corps, hopefully some progress by Frost as a playcaller, and another year of personal development, is going to come out like a different player to the tune of All B1G honors. 

I've been really confused by people's opinions on Adrian this year, and I guess a big part of it is a "what have you done for me lately" perspective. It seems clear to me that he was in a funk and that something mentally/physically wasn't right. But it can be. It was much more his freshman year. He's gonna come out guns blazing next season. Something to the tune of 3,300 passing with 22TD/6INT and 700 rushing with 12 TDs. 

Second hot take I'm not as sure about but think has a real potential to be possible, we'll have a top 25 scoring defense next year. Our defense has improved the last two years, and while there were still too many times where you wanted to pull your hair out, dare I say the defense was a hair's width away from being actually good. The only thing that kept them was consistency, and a big part of why was because when they played their best, the offense would stutter and stall, and the D would eventually get worn down and break. 

There were a lot of times last year where our defense was playing with it's hair on fire and dominating for moments. The last 2.75 quarters yesterday was one example. A very large chunk of the Colorado game was another. They'll take another huge step up with some newly developed talent and a more consistent offense.

The D part, maybe.  The Martinez stuff, hell no.  He's going to transfer.

There.  Now I'm out on a limb.  :D

• Plus1 1

I hope you're right on Martinez up to the point of the stats.  I hope he's improved, motivated, angry...and gets completely obliterated by a better McCaffrey.  

I have seen all I ever want from Adrian in an NU uniform.  I wish him well and hope to never see him as a 1st string NU QB again.  Not contempt for him but because we need better than his ceiling. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I can see the AM thing. He had to be hurting more than we know. Or Verduzco’s 500 question tests and unconventional drills are not the effective.

If Chinander returns, no way in hell is the D a top 25 scoring defense next year. The only reason we seem better than last year on D is because we played 7 or 8 just terrible offenses.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, NUance said:

But I don't think we'll ever have very good defensive stats with the type of offense we run.  Our offense just has too many three-and-outs coupled with a fair number of quick scores.  That said, there is plenty of room for improvement on the defensive side of the ball.  Plenty.  

I keep seeing people say this but I don’t think it’s true. I think our offense just sucks for long stretches of the game due to QB schizophrenia, bad offensive line play, or just bad execution by pretty much everyone.

We don’t usually go up tempo until we get that first 1st down. You either keep the chains moving or you don’t. 

Even if it were demonstrably true that offensive scheme helps/hurts your defense’s success, our situation there doesn’t have anything to do with the types of plays we run or our tempo.

Greatly improved special teams play - which lowers your opponents’ average starting field position and increases yours - would probably be our best realistic bet at significantly improving the amount of points we allow on defense, honestly. We constantly spotted the other team with great field position all season.

• Plus1 1