I've Got Two Hot Takes I'll Throw Out As Predictions

Landlord

Disagree.

I don’t see AM improving. I’m not sure if it’s mental, physical, the play calling or what, but nothing leads me to believe he’ll take any steps forward next year. His ineptitude, along with SF’s commitment to playing him will result in multiple 3 and outs and sputtering offensive performances. Thus leading to the defense constantly being out on the field and getting worked nearly every game. 

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, Landlord said:

Second hot take I'm not as sure about but think has a real potential to be possible, we'll have a top 25 scoring defense next year. Our defense has improved the last two years, and while there were still too many times where you wanted to pull your hair out, dare I say the defense was a hair's width away from being actually good. The only thing that kept them was consistency, and a big part of why was because when they played their best, the offense would stutter and stall, and the D would eventually get worn down and break.

The only way I see us being Top 25 in scoring defense is if Frost forces a philosophy change (not scheme) and blitzes on passing downs more and consistently tries to use numbers to get to the QB.

But what we’ve seen now in two years of Chinander’s defense is that he really wants linebackers to typically drop back into coverage on passing downs and go for coverage sacks. This takes a hell of a lot of talent from your three defensive linemen and your one “in-betweener Alex Davis type guy.” Something I just don’t really see next year. Maybe in 2021 though.

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Undone said:

The only way I see us being Top 25 in scoring defense is if Frost forces a philosophy change (not scheme) and blitzes on passing downs more and consistently tries to use numbers to get to the QB.

But what we’ve seen now in two years of Chinander’s defense is that he really wants linebackers to typically drop back into coverage on passing downs and go for coverage sacks. This takes a hell of a lot of talent from your three defensive linemen and your one “in-betweener Alex Davis type guy.” Something I just don’t really see next year. Maybe in 2021 though.

This.  Gotta manufacture pressure if 4 isn't getting it done....

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding we have a winner folks. Don't know about top 25 scoring defense but it won't be far off. This team is missing consistency, hmmm sounds like a young team to me. Bring some consistency and this team turns into the one the talking heads were projecting preseason.

You drink so much kool-aid 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

My hot take is that Adrian will have gotten over his mental hangup by next Spring.  I don't know that he ever sees the fluidity he had as a Freshman, but he will certainly be better than his Sophmore campaign.  Can't get much worse.  Just keep him focused on the pigskin, or else there's a guy who should have his job.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Redux said:

My hot take is that Adrian will have gotten over his mental hangup by next Spring.  I don't know that he ever sees the fluidity he had as a Freshman, but he will certainly be better than his Sophmore campaign.  Can't get much worse.  Just keep him focused on the pigskin, or else there's a guy who should have his job.

Continually throwing into double and triple coverage and not being able to read a defense isn’t mental though. If he loses 10 pounds and gains some of his freshman speed and decisiveness, then I agree he will be the guy. 

This offense is more efficient with a run first QB and McCaffrey looks to be that at this point. 

• Plus1 4
27 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Continually throwing into double and triple coverage and not being able to read a defense isn’t mental though. If he loses 10 pounds and gains some of his freshman speed and decisiveness, then I agree he will be the guy. 

This offense is more efficient with a run first QB and McCaffrey looks to be that at this point. 

There's a reason that was italicized 

3 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

I hope you're right on Martinez up to the point of the stats.  I hope he's improved, motivated, angry...and gets completely obliterated by a better McCaffrey.  

I have seen all I ever want from Adrian in an NU uniform.  I wish him well and hope to never see him as a 1st string NU QB again.  Not contempt for him but because we need better than his ceiling. 

Agreed, I certainly hope he gets it together in the off season because we may need a quality 3rd string backup QB before the season is over.

6 hours ago, Landlord said:

Might as well put myself on record so I can gloat about how smart I am a year from now, or I can forget and pretend like I never said anything if I'm wrong :lol:

First, here's something I really believe is going to happen. Adrian is going to go into the offseason pissed off with a chip on his shoulder. He's gonna go back down about 15 pounds, he's gonna get an extra step back, and with freshly healthy legs (and shoulder?), a more developed line and receiver corps, hopefully some progress by Frost as a playcaller, and another year of personal development, is going to come out like a different player to the tune of All B1G honors. 

I've been really confused by people's opinions on Adrian this year, and I guess a big part of it is a "what have you done for me lately" perspective. It seems clear to me that he was in a funk and that something mentally/physically wasn't right. But it can be. It was much more his freshman year. He's gonna come out guns blazing next season. Something to the tune of 3,300 passing with 22TD/6INT and 700 rushing with 12 TDs. 

Second hot take I'm not as sure about but think has a real potential to be possible, we'll have a top 25 scoring defense next year. Our defense has improved the last two years, and while there were still too many times where you wanted to pull your hair out, dare I say the defense was a hair's width away from being actually good. The only thing that kept them was consistency, and a big part of why was because when they played their best, the offense would stutter and stall, and the D would eventually get worn down and break. 

There were a lot of times last year where our defense was playing with it's hair on fire and dominating for moments. The last 2.75 quarters yesterday was one example. A very large chunk of the Colorado game was another. They'll take another huge step up with some newly developed talent and a more consistent offense.

On a couple of threads I've rather joking posted that our defense kept Iowa out of the redzone the entire game.  Of course they scored 3 touchdowns from well beyond the red zone.  One thing Frost has talked about, a lot, is that as bad as thing look at the end of the game, it has normally come down to just three or four bad plays per game, when people were out of position, or blew assignments.  Big plays are usually evidence of just that...somebody blew it. So defense could shine.

The only concern I have is reflected to me from the media, talking about losing so many seniors on defense this year.  Guess we'll see.  If I'm not always a glass half full kind of guy,  I am always a "damn I'm glad I have a glass" kind of guy.

I predict AM will either do what @Landlord predicts or he won’t be the starter. I think Adrian has the physical tools and desire to be the QB we want but, not understanding at all why he took such huge steps backwards this year, we’ll just have to wait and see what transpires. I do know I am beginning to have serious doubts about Mario. WTF did he teach him this last off season and where were the adjustments once things headed south? I don’t think the microscope of Husker football is going to help him any so I sure hope he and Mario can get it figured out in spite of the fishbowl.

I don’t believe our defense will ever be a top 25 scoring D with the type of offense we run. Seems the only team goal is to try to score at least 1 more point than the opponent. If they get there, great, but that philosophy doesn’t lend itself to any top 25 discussion. The one thing in our favor is that there are so many anemic offenses in the B1G. But so far we have just made them look not so anemic.

9 hours ago, Landlord said:

Might as well put myself on record so I can gloat about how smart I am a year from now, or I can forget and pretend like I never said anything if I'm wrong :lol:

First, here's something I really believe is going to happen. Adrian is going to go into the offseason pissed off with a chip on his shoulder. He's gonna go back down about 15 pounds, he's gonna get an extra step back, and with freshly healthy legs (and shoulder?), a more developed line and receiver corps, hopefully some progress by Frost as a playcaller, and another year of personal development, is going to come out like a different player to the tune of All B1G honors. 

I've been really confused by people's opinions on Adrian this year, and I guess a big part of it is a "what have you done for me lately" perspective. It seems clear to me that he was in a funk and that something mentally/physically wasn't right. But it can be. It was much more his freshman year. He's gonna come out guns blazing next season. Something to the tune of 3,300 passing with 22TD/6INT and 700 rushing with 12 TDs. 

There were a lot of times last year where our defense was playing with it's hair on fire and dominating for moments. The last 2.75 quarters yesterday was one example. A very large chunk of the Colorado game was another. They'll take another huge step up with some newly developed talent and a more consistent offense.

A61C2130-8B53-4A29-90A0-BFFE98BE8233.gif.4c95d7dfff39dedab28d68932d555641.gif

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1