I've Got Two Hot Takes I'll Throw Out As Predictions

Landlord

4 minutes ago, Mailman777 said:

All the talk about coach Mario's coaching  and Adrian's disappointing season had me thinking, if its coaching then why did Vedral and Luke M. look quicker in their decision making and running of the offense than AD.?? I mean are they not all coached by the same guy?  

They had certain packages for them, and their plays typically had one or two reads. Luke even missed his read on his play on the last drive.

Adrian looked scared to make the wrong play. He hesitates before he takes off or makes a decision. It just feels like he doesn't trust himself, which is a shame because he was a stud his freshman year. He also ran way too much in my opinion. Give him 10 or so carries a game and no more. When he has to take hit after hit it wears on him I believe. He may have been worried about getting injured again. I don't mind if he takes off to scramble for a first but option plays and fewer QB runs would help him I think. 

A QB run is very crucial but it should be more of a threat rather than a must. Against Iowa he took too many hits that Mills or another RB could easily take. Heck, sub in Luke to do some QB powers in the future. I really liked that package and we should see more of it. My point is when your QB takes hits on running plays and hits getting sacked it wears on them. We need to be more smart with him and our star players or they will continue to wear down. Load management is important and right now we are not good at it. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Waldo said:

Continually throwing into double and triple coverage and not being able to read a defense isn’t mental though.

Uhh....yes it is? Mental is exactly what it is. Unless you're saying that he is so bad physically that he accidentally threw the ball to a completely different area of the football field than he intended? 

Mental means brains. Means decision making. Throwing into double coverage and making the wrong reads is 100% mental. The f#&% are you saying? :lol:

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

WTF did he teach him this last off season and where were the adjustments once things headed south?

I could be wrong but my understanding is that during the season there's very little actual one-on-one development work. Just in cfb in general. That's primarily focused on in spring and fall camps, but season is almost all primarily spent with scouting reports and opponent/team practice work.

36 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Uhh....yes it is? Mental is exactly what it is. Unless you're saying that he is so bad physically that he accidentally threw the ball to a completely different area of the football field than he intended? 

Mental means brains. Means decision making. Throwing into double coverage and making the wrong reads is 100% mental. The f#&% are you saying? :lol:

I could be wrong but my understanding is that during the season there's very little actual one-on-one development work. Just in cfb in general. That's primarily focused on in spring and fall camps, but season is almost all primarily spent with scouting reports and opponent/team practice work.

Thanks for the Philosophy course.
The OP stated that maybe AM could get over his ‘mental hang-up.’ I took that as he felt AM had a different mindset while playing this year. Martinez didn’t play as freely and often second guessed himself.
If you’ve ever played sports and had a bad game or bad stretch, a coach might ask if your head is right. That’s how I interpreted it. Not being able to read a defense would be more about understanding and less about mentality. 

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Landlord said:

Might as well put myself on record so I can gloat about how smart I am a year from now, or I can forget and pretend like I never said anything if I'm wrong :lol:

First, here's something I really believe is going to happen. Adrian is going to go into the offseason pissed off with a chip on his shoulder. He's gonna go back down about 15 pounds, he's gonna get an extra step back, and with freshly healthy legs (and shoulder?), a more developed line and receiver corps, hopefully some progress by Frost as a playcaller, and another year of personal development, is going to come out like a different player to the tune of All B1G honors. 

I've been really confused by people's opinions on Adrian this year, and I guess a big part of it is a "what have you done for me lately" perspective. It seems clear to me that he was in a funk and that something mentally/physically wasn't right. But it can be. It was much more his freshman year. He's gonna come out guns blazing next season. Something to the tune of 3,300 passing with 22TD/6INT and 700 rushing with 12 TDs. 

Second hot take I'm not as sure about but think has a real potential to be possible, we'll have a top 25 scoring defense next year. Our defense has improved the last two years, and while there were still too many times where you wanted to pull your hair out, dare I say the defense was a hair's width away from being actually good. The only thing that kept them was consistency, and a big part of why was because when they played their best, the offense would stutter and stall, and the D would eventually get worn down and break. 

There were a lot of times last year where our defense was playing with it's hair on fire and dominating for moments. The last 2.75 quarters yesterday was one example. A very large chunk of the Colorado game was another. They'll take another huge step up with some newly developed talent and a more consistent offense.

20126470_10_406_288.gif

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Thanks for the Philosophy course.
The OP stated that maybe AM could get over his ‘mental hang-up.’ I took that as he felt AM had a different mindset while playing this year. Martinez didn’t play as freely and often second guessed himself.
If you’ve ever played sports and had a bad game or bad stretch, a coach might ask if your head is right. That’s how I interpreted it. Not being able to read a defense would be more about understanding and less about mentality. 

Gotcha. I think of them as highly related. Not exactly the same thing, but Adrian's mindset/head not being screwed on straight would lead to pressing, would lead to increased pressure to make a play, etc., which would inform further bad decision making.

3 hours ago, Mailman777 said:

All the talk about coach Mario's coaching  and Adrian's disappointing season had me thinking, if its coaching then why did Vedral and Luke M. look quicker in their decision making and running of the offense than AD.?? I mean are they not all coached by the same guy?  

Luke M. hasn't been there very long.  I read an article where Mario stated they had revamped 2AM's technique and throwing motion.  Sometimes making things too mechanical can lead to paralysis by analysis.  I think we probably saw a lot of that this season....or maybe it's somethng else.  His decline has been puzzling.  Guys are supposed to make big jumps from Year 1 to Year 2.   Year 3 is supposed to be the really big jump.  Here's hoping he figures things out.  

11 hours ago, Landlord said:

Might as well put myself on record so I can gloat about how smart I am a year from now, or I can forget and pretend like I never said anything if I'm wrong :lol:

First, here's something I really believe is going to happen. Adrian is going to go into the offseason pissed off with a chip on his shoulder. He's gonna go back down about 15 pounds, he's gonna get an extra step back, and with freshly healthy legs (and shoulder?), a more developed line and receiver corps, hopefully some progress by Frost as a playcaller, and another year of personal development, is going to come out like a different player to the tune of All B1G honors. 

I've been really confused by people's opinions on Adrian this year, and I guess a big part of it is a "what have you done for me lately" perspective. It seems clear to me that he was in a funk and that something mentally/physically wasn't right. But it can be. It was much more his freshman year. He's gonna come out guns blazing next season. Something to the tune of 3,300 passing with 22TD/6INT and 700 rushing with 12 TDs. 

Second hot take I'm not as sure about but think has a real potential to be possible, we'll have a top 25 scoring defense next year. Our defense has improved the last two years, and while there were still too many times where you wanted to pull your hair out, dare I say the defense was a hair's width away from being actually good. The only thing that kept them was consistency, and a big part of why was because when they played their best, the offense would stutter and stall, and the D would eventually get worn down and break. 

There were a lot of times last year where our defense was playing with it's hair on fire and dominating for moments. The last 2.75 quarters yesterday was one example. A very large chunk of the Colorado game was another. They'll take another huge step up with some newly developed talent and a more consistent offense.

When it comes to our defense I don't think you're recognizing just how many mediocre-to-bad offenses we played this year. We did improve but it was not a huge step forward. Plus we lose our best players. I will be shocked if we have the kind of defense you're forecasting. 

I do think the offense will be much better. Everyone is back plus Benhart should be ready ready to move Farniok inside to guard, I see our best O-line in a long time. Won't have to trot out a walk-on as our #2 rb. Hopefully AM has his head straight or Luke is starting. Hopefully this season was an anomaly and Frost gets back to being a top-notch playcaller. Unfortunately we'll be playing against even more quality defenses, don't see us consistently lighting-up the scoreboard, but can see us being consistently solid. 

Can't imagine ST's being any worse. 

Would like to see us make a nice analyst hire or two. Some fresh, knowledgeable eyes on what we're doing could help us get over the hump. 

• Plus1 1

Adrian had so many issues this season I just don't believe he can ever come back. 

- He looked slow, perhaps from being overweight 

- His throwing ability has looked really bad this season; how many overthrown balls or underthrown balls did he have this season?  

- He was indecisive, never looked to more than one receiver when another receiver would be wide open, would never throw the ball away when a play would break down (wish someone had stats on how many yards he lost and drives he killed due to not throwing the ball away). 

Unless there is some kind of miracle, I just don't see him improving.  

As for the defense, we are losing nearly the entire starting D!  Even though they were Riley players, who is going to replace them?  This is why Frost and Co. are s#!tting bricks and grabbing so many Juco's right now.  I think we actually digress in the defensive aspect next season especially due to a much tougher schedule.  

Hope I'm wrong, will be rooting for us to win every game as always!

5 hours ago, Landlord said:

Gotcha. I think of them as highly related. Not exactly the same thing, but Adrian's mindset/head not being screwed on straight would lead to pressing, would lead to increased pressure to make a play, etc., which would inform further bad decision making.

Yeah, I wonder how much of this is purely psychological? There weren't as many expectations for him last year as there was this year.

The worry I have if Adrian does suddenly break out of his slump is what do we do with McCaffrey? Because if Adrian is our QB next year, he’s probably 99% chance he’s our QB the following year, his senior year.

if that’s the case, that’s two years of McCaffrey playing second. No way. And playing him as as special package QB just to get him PT would be an awful decision.

so what do you do with him? Play him like Christian in the NFL? Where he is literally everything? Problem is we already have that with W. Robinson. I don’t know what two of those type of players look like in an offense.

theres a decision to be made in the Spring that is going to affect Nebraska for years to come. If Adrian does have an amazing spring and puts this year well behind him and is truly the best QB for the job, then sure, start him and plug McCaffrey into the offense somehow. If it’s close and 50/50 on who is the better QB, I say go with McCaffrey.

19 hours ago, Landlord said:

I understand that but when your starting QB is struggling with decisiveness and making reads and throws I would think addressing those issues would be near the top of the priority list regardless the timing. You can look at scouting reports and install game plans all you want but if the main cog in the machine isn’t functioning correctly, isn’t it all for naught? I wouldn’t classify that as physical training, muscle memory or learning the offense or even one on one development. It’s just a necessity. And if it can only occur during the off season then why didn’t it?

Some of my questions are rhetorical. I think it may be as simple as Frost being a little too stubborn to make the required adjustments and/or to recognize when a player should sit a series or two. Anyways....the only thing I know for sure is that AM is capable of way better than we saw this year. IDK what the reasons were but I hope they get it figured out and, if it can’t be fixed, that they do get the proper player(s) prepared in this off season.

On November 30, 2019 at 12:48 PM, HANC said:

I dont disagree and love the optimism.  On AM (and I have stayed off the other threads)  I think his play has been below average in comparison to AM as a freshman.  His numbers are still not bad. Decision making is definitely questionable. Are people forgetting he didn't play a snap as a senior in hs, missed a ton of time with injury so far. Only live reps can fix it. I love the energy LM brings. He may be the answer but the backup QB is always most popular.  I dont think you are far off. Problem is the schedule and putting trust back into this team. 

I would agree with all of this except this is college football, we have 2, capable Qb's in line to play who might have done  better if AMart wasn't 100%.  We could be better next season, but it will depend alot on Qb play for the offense to getting more consistent.  IF you believe Amart is the best available option, he will have to  improve a lot.  I think he can.  I think he has to otherwise we will have a QB controversy next season and that usually can either make a team stronger or rip it apart. 

The defense did improve, even if it was minor little bit, it did improve.  I just don't know how optimistic to get since I was one who thought this season 8-4 was realistically the number we would be shooting for.  We did regress, along with our QB play.

Schedule appears tough next season, and thinking that 8-4 would be a great season.

9 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

The worry I have if Adrian does suddenly break out of his slump is what do we do with McCaffrey? Because if Adrian is our QB next year, he’s probably 99% chance he’s our QB the following year, his senior year.

I absolutely agree with your assessment.  This was my worry a few games back.  I don't know how long you can play the "next man up" in case of injury to keep him here as well.  Vedral is a capable number 2 for each of our two legitmate starters with Luke and Amart.

Spring practice will decide a lot.  I feel that if Amart doesn't keep working to get better, Luke will surpass him and it won't even be close going into fall camp.  I think that this will work itself out before summer time and someone will be transferring elsewhere.