I've Got Two Hot Takes I'll Throw Out As Predictions

Landlord

2 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

I absolutely agree with your assessment.  This was my worry a few games back.  I don't know how long you can play the "next man up" in case of injury to keep him here as well.  Vedral is a capable number 2 for each of our two legitmate starters with Luke and Amart.

Spring practice will decide a lot.  I feel that if Amart doesn't keep working to get better, Luke will surpass him and it won't even be close going into fall camp.  I think that this will work itself out before summer time and someone will be transferring elsewhere.  

IF McCaffrey were to transfer due to not getting the starting QB job that would be an enormous blow to this team and the pressure on Martinez would be huge. He’d be expected by the fans to be heisman contender and or winner.

i don’t even want to think of that scenario. My guess is if Martinez wins the starting job. McCaffrey will take on a role similar to Christian

3 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

IF McCaffrey were to transfer due to not getting the starting QB job that would be an enormous blow to this team and the pressure on Martinez would be huge. He’d be expected by the fans to be heisman contender and or winner.

I don't think that's true at all. If anything he'd be minorly resented because people have already made their minds up. But nobody is going to expect him to win the heisman out of the blue???

If I am thinking about this correctly, the other McCaffrey brother will more than likely start for Michigan next season, and I am guessing that Luke would also in his mind expect to start here, if HE feels he is the better player overall.  Judging from the end of the season, I think that Luke is the better player, just less experienced to this point.  If HC Frost feels that Amart is the man, then he is the man, and we won't keep both on this roster.  This is where the game is today.  If you look around the nation, almost every great starting QB transferred into where they are now playing and contending for either Heismans or other awards.  

Fields at OSU was at Georgia, Eason at Washington was at Georgia, Burrows was at Ohio ST now more than likely Heisman winner at LSU, and the list could go on.  Heck the last two Heisman winners transferred into OU.  So I wouldn't say that either one of these guys feel that they have to stay here, if they aren't the starter.  I don't know either one's situation or personal makeup, but competitors want to compete, and thats usually why these QB's transfer.  Hope for the best, expect the worst!

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

I don't think that's true at all. If anything he'd be minorly resented because people have already made their minds up. But nobody is going to expect him to win the heisman out of the blue???

McCaffrey is a fan favorite. Every time he’s come into the game the offense clicks better than when Martinez is/was in. If Martinez gets the starting job next year over mccaffrey and ultimately that results into us losing McCaffrey to the transfer portal? Oh, Martinez will have a mountain of expectations.

1 hour ago, BoNeyard said:

Oh, Martinez will have a mountain of expectations  resentment.

FIFY.

A mountain of expectations? That would imply that the fanbase trusts the coaching staff and doesn't think they know better than the coaches do, which idk if you've ever seen how fans behave, but they pretty much always know better :lol: 

Heisman expectations would be because, "Well Frost chose him and I trust Frost so obviously he must be amazing." Which sounds more likely, that one or, "Frost hitched his wagon to Martinez who sucks and that's what made McCaffrey leave."

12 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

If I am thinking about this correctly, the other McCaffrey brother will more than likely start for Michigan next season, and I am guessing that Luke would also in his mind expect to start here, if HE feels he is the better player overall.  Judging from the end of the season, I think that Luke is the better player, just less experienced to this point.  If HC Frost feels that Amart is the man, then he is the man, and we won't keep both on this roster.  This is where the game is today.  If you look around the nation, almost every great starting QB transferred into where they are now playing and contending for either Heismans or other awards.  

Fields at OSU was at Georgia, Eason at Washington was at Georgia, Burrows was at Ohio ST now more than likely Heisman winner at LSU, and the list could go on.  Heck the last two Heisman winners transferred into OU.  So I wouldn't say that either one of these guys feel that they have to stay here, if they aren't the starter.  I don't know either one's situation or personal makeup, but competitors want to compete, and thats usually why these QB's transfer.  Hope for the best, expect the worst!

Although...Dylan McCaffrey has been Shea Patterson’s backup for a couple of years, and has stayed despite their fans (also) calling for Patterson’s benching. Luke committed when Martinez was having an excellent freshman year so I think he understands that he is a raw prospect and needs to mature in to the role. That said, Frost simply can not let him get away if it comes to that.

• Thanks 1

Luke isn't the best passer. I think if he had more extended playing time, people would see this. The playbook was pretty limited when he was in this year. It was mostly read option or QB runs. That one play where he connected with JD was most likely scripted, and practiced over and over throughout the week. 

I may be wrong, but it seems to me like Martinez has a lower body injury. He just looks slow. Maybe he's not fully healed from his previous injury this year? I don't know. I just know he doesn't look the same running the ball. 

From what I have seen, I don't think Luke would transfer, but I definitely could be wrong. The thing is, in this type of offense, QBs get injured a fair amount. Even if you're the number two QB, you have a pretty good chance of getting playing time. When was the last time Nebraska made it through a season without the starting QB getting injured? 

• Thanks 1

I've been a pretty vocal AM supporter so I'm obviously in the AM will improve camp. He definitely slid back a bit this year (not to the horrific forgot how to play football level some posters think), but I think some things exacerbated it too. Early in the season we couldn't snap the ball, block a middle schooler or run the ball. So, early on I think his confidence was shaken and that's hard to fix in season I think an off season will help. Once the rest of the offense started to come around AM was injured and I think still second guessing things. Again an off season should help. Another major thing is that AM led the team in carries this year and missed two full games. That's insane even in this offense. He took on the wear of a RB as a QB plus sacks, hits, etc. It obviously took a toll leading to a left shoulder injury and a knee injury that we know about. I have no doubt he could have had a right shoulder, rib, or other lower extremity injuries too. Finally I think the off season hype and requirements got to him a bit. Did anyone see the article from Hail Varsity where she followed AM around for a day? He was being pulled into interviews, classes, practice, etc with like no down time. With all the off season hype he was obviously in high demand at a level he didn't see as a freshmen. I think an off season with less demands and having a chip on his shoulder will bring back the QB who had Heisman hype in the off season.

I also could see the defense improving. We lose our three DL, two LBs and best corner, but I think they can be replaced without a huge drop off. Obviously Stille returns, but Ty, Green and Damion looked good when they were in this year plus Rogers and Wildeman were serviceable. I think another off season keeps our DL good. At LB, Mo is a loss, but we return Miller and Honas who were basically starters. Alex Davis is replaceable in my opinion with Nelson, JoJo and other young guys. LJ is a loss, but Braxton Clark looked good and we return a health Williams, Cam, Dismuke, Bootle plus a host of young guys people are high on. Plus to say we lose our best defensive players is a stretch. JoJo and Cam were two of our best and they return. If anything we lose some experience, but I don't see them as irreplaceable players.

This board really underestimates how hard it is to be a QB with bad line play. We have few comparisons of what Vedral and McCaffrey have done when AM is sitting out. I bet if either Vedral or McCaffery played the majority of the season they would be looking just like AM. It's almost like we forget that we have coaches that do this for a living. They see things that we dont. The issue is the O-line, and it will make a great QB look average. We have freshman on the line, a tight-end playing center, and a tackle out of position. Anyone that has played football will know how hard it is to be a QB with bad line play. Everything is more stressful, nothing coms easy, there is no rhythm, and you end up relying way to much on the playmakers. Unfortunately our average/good playmakers can't overcome this all the time. How many times this year did we actually drive the ball, a true football drive? I don't have the stats but based on what I saw, a lot of times we would score because we would rely on big plays. This is because of the play-makers. We won't be good again until we establish the O-line. Do you remember the drive Wisconsin had against us in the 3rd quarter where they marched all the way down the field with 10+ plays, 7-8 yards here and there, mostly runs, and burned clock. Thats what an o-line can give you. Given that we are Nebraska, if we can establish the O-line play, alongside our playmakers we will be really really good. Until then... any QB will struggle. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/30/2019 at 2:13 PM, DefenderAO said:

I hope you're right on Martinez up to the point of the stats.  I hope he's improved, motivated, angry...and gets completely obliterated by a better McCaffrey.  

I have seen all I ever want from Adrian in an NU uniform.  I wish him well and hope to never see him as a 1st string NU QB again.  Not contempt for him but because we need better than his ceiling. 

This year was not his ceiling

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1