In defense of swing passes

Huskerzoo

I'm on my phone so this may be a little more disjointed than usual. 

28ppg 415.8 ypg. 

That's where the offense is sitting after 2019. In 2018 those numbers were 30ppg and 450ypg. 

I'm one of those people that doesn't think hcsf suddenly forgot how to coach. I think this is a case where it really might be we're missing some pieces. Going to the point of the post keep your eye on two things if you rewatch the game. The first is the inside of our line, in particular boe. He was getting rocked all game by a first round draft pick. This was impacting every aspect of the game. I think this is the first problem that is going to get addressed; our guard play. He wasn't doing well on linemen and we were also missing key blocks on our screens when that was the guards assignment. I think that this is going to get solved next season. Farniok will slide inside, we'll have better tackle play and better guard play we will be young again though. 

The guards getting blown up made for problems developing deep plays and consequently the run game. So instead you try to get things moving laterally. The screen is pretty simple in theory, you get your wr or a linemen as mentioned above to make key blocks and it functions a bit like a run. Our second problem is the lack of big bodied we who can sustain blocks. If you rewatch, we were struggling with blocks enough that our players didn't have time to make one man miss. These problems were amplified by injuries to our skill players (Noa, Warner, Robinson), suspensions, and transfers. Its further compounded by some of our rb right now being one trick ponies. I expect Mills will be spending a ton of time in front of JUGS so that we aren't showing our hand every time he's in the backfield. We're in on the right players but I'm more concerned about this as we don't have the bodies on the team yet to fix it. With regards to rb who can catch, we are doing ok, they just need to develop, stay healthy, and not get kicked off the team. I think a focused mo Washington changes this whole season for us. 

So given the game that Epenesa was having, we had to adjust to a lateral. If we get the blocking we need, we get the results we need. I think what we saw this season is the floor that this offense is capable of. We are yet to see the ceiling, which I think is a top 10 offense when the pieces are in place.  

• Plus1 2

We're definitely missing some receivers who can move faster than DBs. I have no way of knowing but it looks like Martinez feels he doesn't have anywhere safe to throw the ball. The TD pass that McCaffrey threw was a specially designed play....maybe we need to alternate quarterbacks and scratch those in the dirt on the sideline because business as usual isn't fooling anyone out there.

I don't necissarily disagree with you, I think alot of your points are valid and I tend to agree with a lot of what you are saying here. 

The part that I am unsure about is that I think even with the guys we have right now, we should be able to go downfield, across the middle, down the sideline...something. We should not be 100% relegated to swing passes as our only form of passing that we can even TRY to do. If you are asking that of your team, and you are committing to NOT throwing the ball downfield you are essentially just asking for a loss already unless you are playing far inferior opponents or you are VERY VERY good a specific style or gimmick such as the option game. 

I think we need to be able to throw downfield 20 yards no matter who we have at WR, if you can't throw it up to them because of height scheme something to get them open, do 10 yard slants across the middle like every single team we have played ALL year has open on almost every down. 

18 minutes ago, Huskerzoo said:

I'm on my phone so this may be a little more disjointed than usual. 

28ppg 415.8 ypg. 

That's where the offense is sitting after 2019. In 2018 those numbers were 30ppg and 450ypg. 

I'm one of those people that doesn't think hcsf suddenly forgot how to coach. I think this is a case where it really might be we're missing some pieces. Going to the point of the post keep your eye on two things if you rewatch the game. The first is the inside of our line, in particular boe. He was getting rocked all game by a first round draft pick. This was impacting every aspect of the game. I think this is the first problem that is going to get addressed; our guard play. He wasn't doing well on linemen and we were also missing key blocks on our screens when that was the guards assignment. I think that this is going to get solved next season. Farniok will slide inside, we'll have better tackle play and better guard play we will be young again though. 

The guards getting blown up made for problems developing deep plays and consequently the run game. So instead you try to get things moving laterally. The screen is pretty simple in theory, you get your wr or a linemen as mentioned above to make key blocks and it functions a bit like a run. Our second problem is the lack of big bodied we who can sustain blocks. If you rewatch, we were struggling with blocks enough that our players didn't have time to make one man miss. These problems were amplified by injuries to our skill players (Noa, Warner, Robinson), suspensions, and transfers. Its further compounded by some of our rb right now being one trick ponies. I expect Mills will be spending a ton of time in front of JUGS so that we aren't showing our hand every time he's in the backfield. We're in on the right players but I'm more concerned about this as we don't have the bodies on the team yet to fix it. With regards to rb who can catch, we are doing ok, they just need to develop, stay healthy, and not get kicked off the team. I think a focused mo Washington changes this whole season for us. 

So given the game that Epenesa was having, we had to adjust to a lateral. If we get the blocking we need, we get the results we need. I think what we saw this season is the floor that this offense is capable of. We are yet to see the ceiling, which I think is a top 10 offense when the pieces are in place.  

I think this is a very good take.

If we get the changes to the OL that we think might happen next season, Frost"s playcalling will get questioned much less.

Just getting home from the game and I haven’t had time to read much or rewatch, but what’s the deal with Hixon? He looks like he has the body type, but it appeared to me that he cannot hold blocks. I’ve heard others raving about how improved the o-line looks, but I’m not seeing it. Receivers can’t get open either. I guess I’d like to fix those two things before demoting Martinez