Tommie blasts Frost

NUance

Just now, FrantzHardySwag said:

Tommie is a fan at this point, he obviously was heated we lost to Iowa for the 5th straight year, and won't go to a bowl for the 3rd straight year. Did he handle it the right way? No. But if you're a husker fan and not heated after this season, you're probably a monk.

I agree with your latter point. I can’t fully buy into your former point or maybe that’s just how he wants to act because it drives his personal gain.

I don’t like seeing former husker players openly bash on current players who are out there giving it there best. The few guys that do are the guys from the dynasty era who benefitted from the guys who laid the foundation. While they know Xs and Os, heart, and desire, they experienced the fruits of those who came before them. 

So yeah, while I have been very frustrated and heated, what I choose to subscribe to is it’s going to take time to get things in order. If they had the depth it would be different, but they don’t and they’re working on it, as well as building culture. Again, that’s not to say they haven’t made mistakes, there is plenty of blame to go around, but I’m in it to see what happens after 5-7 seasons. We’re not USC, OSU, UM, or SEC to pluck skill. And we’re not KSU or Wiscy where they have an identity established. We’re one year behind Minny and I don’t see that culture lasting or Fleck sticking around long enough.

No matter what side you're on, i think we can all agree on one thing.....Tommie is a total tool. Ive met him 3-4 times now. First time i went up to him, he wasnt busy or talking to anyone, and just held out my hand and wanted to say nice to meet you. Didnt want a picture or autograph or anything from him, and he acted like i wasnt even there. The next couple times i thought maybe he was just having a bad day or something, but more of the same. I bet if i told him i would like to pay him to be in a commercial, or something that would benefit him, he would have been much more willing to acknowledge me. Its all about Tommie. Ive met many other huskers like Mike Brown, Michael Booker, Jason Peter, Damon Benning, etc, etc just like many of you, and they have all been very nice. Hes literally the only that hasnt, and its been on multiple occasions.

Tommie is the typical player turned coach that judges talent based on standards that are too high for what he can bring to a Doane or any other NAIA school.  Sure he's not a people person and makes a pretty cold impression when fans approach him cold.  No different than most sports stars on the national stage.

I heard Nick Saban is well known for being cold when people stalk him at the airports.  Nobody calls him a tool for it.  These people probably have had enough experiences to distrust random people.  It might even trigger them as a threat to their personal safety as they don't often have private bouncers around them.  If you don't want to be disappointed, don't approach a guy like him because he will not fail to disappoint. 

On 11/30/2019 at 4:04 PM, SFW said:

He’s not wrong...so far Frost isn’t getting it done.  

And if he doesn’t make changes in his coaching... he won’t be getting it done in the future.

^^^^^^^^^^This is my take.^^^^^^^^^^^

This thread has been pointing out Tommie's failures.  Okay.  But does that mean he can't see what we can see as to Frost's (lack of) effectiveness here?  I fail every week at bowling, but I can still see and talk about other bad bowlers;  they're right there in front of me.   That's all he's doing;  telling it like it is.  Perhaps if we ask him about his own coaching failures he'll elaborate on that as I do about my rather comedic bowling.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

I don't really fault Tommie for his opinion. I'm not really sure how fans should feel at the moment. In one hand, I believe it's still too early to be dissenting from Frost or throwing around accusations of 'he can't get it done.' In the other hand, there are a few things I think we should be reasonably concerned or asking questions about.

I'm certainly disappointed that we haven't made more progress in the wins column yet but I'm also nowhere near throwing in the towel. Frost is getting a lot closer to the point where his salary is going to demand certain results. I don't know if that's next year or three years from now, but that moment comes for every coach eventually.

Yes he can see it, but in no way is he helping the program.  Recruits read this stuff, social media and normally everything they can find about a program before committing.  Having a legendary Husker, and he is, make derogatory comments does far more harm than a dozen internet coaches.

I said the first game this year that something was wrong with AM.  I think he put on too much weight and took on too much pressure with the Hypsman crap.  I hope he can come back, but we do put things way out of proportion sometimes.  He is a good kid, he is taking responsibility and that is always a good step in the right direction.

But as a fan base we need to slow down on the Frost is lost, the kids are not buying in.  I saw a team Saturday that wanted to win.  Football the ball bounces funny sometimes.  I am hoping in the next few years we are looking back on this a growing pains.  I feel confident that is what it is.

So what was Frazier's record as a coach?  Wiki says 3-17.  It looks like he maintained 2004 results for a year, but they were obviously bad before his arrival.

2010        3-7        .300
2009        4-7        .364
2008        4-7        .364
2007        4-6        .400
2006        1-9        .100
2005        2-8        .200
2004        2-8        .200
2003        4-6        .400
2002        7-3        .700
2001        6-3        .667
2000        5-4        .556

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:05 AM, Enhance said:

I don't really fault Tommie for his opinion. I'm not really sure how fans should feel at the moment. In one hand, I believe it's still too early to be dissenting from Frost or throwing around accusations of 'he can't get it done.' In the other hand, there are a few things I think we should be reasonably concerned or asking questions about.

I'm certainly disappointed that we haven't made more progress in the wins column yet but I'm also nowhere near throwing in the towel. Frost is getting a lot closer to the point where his salary is going to demand certain results. I don't know if that's next year or three years from now, but that moment comes for every coach eventually.

What concerns me the most is throwing in the towel.  What direction do we go if Frost doesn't work out?  We tried the pro football coach who made it to a Super Bowl.  We then hired for the most part fan favorite Bo.  We then hired what I always considered the poor man's Bill Snyder in Riley.  Now, we've not only hired fan favorite Frost but also one of the highest coveted coaches from a couple of years ago.  Is Nebraska football dead if Frost doesn't work out?  At this point, I'm terrified at the notion Frost doesn't work out.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On 12/2/2019 at 8:05 AM, Enhance said:

Actually with his extension he is no closer to that point than the day he was hired.  I'm a believer in Scott, but his salary demands nothing other then nomatter what hes going to be our coach for years.  The buyout is way too high.

14 hours ago, junior4949 said:

What concerns me the most is throwing in the towel.  What direction do we go if Frost doesn't work out?  We tried the pro football coach who made it to a Super Bowl.  We then hired for the most part fan favorite Bo.  We then hired what I always considered the poor man's Bill Snyder in Riley.  Now, we've not only hired fan favorite Frost but also one of the highest coveted coaches from a couple of years ago.  Is Nebraska football dead if Frost doesn't work out?  At this point, I'm terrified at the notion Frost doesn't work out.

In the sense that our glory days are so far behind us that they dont matter anymore yes, Nebraska football would be dead.  Was Minnesota football dead before Fleck? Thats where we will be.  Nobody remembers, but Minnesota was a Juggernaut way back when, so was Yale.  Its getting to the point where if Frost doesnt work out we are no longer a "blue blood".  The majority of the younger generation already doesnt consider us a blueblood.  

Its even showing in state....lots of empty seats @Memorial, even against a rival, and even with quite a few Iowa fans filling up some of the seats

6 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

Actually with his extension he is no closer to that point than the day he was hired.  I'm a believer in Scott, but his salary demands nothing other then nomatter what hes going to be our coach for years.  The buyout is way too high.

I disagree purely from the standpoint that $5+ million/year comes with a certain level of understanding about what type of value you have as a coach. It's not the end all be all by any means, but at some point, that kind of money has to translate to equivalent results. They could be paying somebody a lot less to win a similar # of games.