Your 2020 Nebraska Cornhuskers

BIG ERN

14 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

The injuries are concerning but if he was behind schedule I'd think we would have taken another RB in this class. I still think he will end up being a factor 

Well, NU did take 2 RB’s, one who is very similar to Thompkins.  The RB recruits from this class could easily end up being better than the 2019 guys. The jobs of the coaches is to continually bring in (better) talent and let them compete for the job. 

The recruiting so far, assuming they new class gets on campus and stays on the team, ought to have built a decent, not great yet, core to turn things upward.   Going forward, and even yet this winter, we still have, in my view, a long way to go along the offensive and defensive lines, to get a Big Ten challenger level squad.  Offensive lines are built, not bought, in many ways and can't just be recruited.   Bring in the most capable big guys and then you build their bodies up and get the nasty to come out on every play.   No place on a football team is repetitions more important than the O line.  Years of practice are almost essential.  Each of the past two seasons, we've seen moderate and steady progress on the line of scrimmage.  Hopefully, now with a good number of returning players, that will continue.  If they can change about 10 snaps a game from bad to good, we'll win quite a few of the close ones.  That is not impossible.

However, the biggest difficulty going forward the next two years is that our schedule is getting more difficult.  The Big Ten as a whole is definately getting stronger.   The conference needs to reconsider its 9 game schedule and cut it to 8, like the SEC, so there are about 7 less in conference losses spread across the group and maybe 5 more wins out of conference.   This will help the conference comparatively have the wins and losses record and put more in the top twenty five, etc.   This leads to higher rankings and the perception of an even stronger league.   

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Well, NU did take 2 RB’s, one who is very similar to Thompkins.  The RB recruits from this class could easily end up being better than the 2019 guys. The jobs of the coaches is to continually bring in (better) talent and let them compete for the job. 

I know we took 2 I think we would have taken 3 if we were worried about Thompkins. If Maurice and Thompkins were to be gone or non factors that is a slim room. As last year showcased, 2 or 3 quality RBs is not nearly enough. We need to be 5 or 6 deep in that room

If we take the last of 2019 depth charts and simply add the new guys.  Someone else can finish this.  It's giving me a head ache flipping between websites to locate details.

OFFENSE                    
Pos No. Player                
WR 13 Chase, Darien RS SO XX Manning, Omar JR XX Betts, Zavier FR XX Fleming, Marcus FR XX Brown, Alante FR
WR 1 Robinson, Wan'Dale SO 81 Warner, Kade RS JR 87 Hickman, Chris SO / 5 XX Houston, Demariyon RS FR 61 Balenger, Mitchell RS SO
WR 10 Spielman, JD RS SR 4 McQuitty, Jaevon RS JR 8 Woodyard, Jaron RS SR/TR 39 Thurman, Andrew RS FR    
LT 76 Jaimes, Brenden SR 73 Bando, Broc RS JR 72 Anderson, Matthew RS FR XX Corcoran, Turner FR / XX Piper, Ethan RS FR
LG 75 Hixson, Trent RS JR 50 Raridon, John RS SR 78 Fritzsche, Jimmy RS FR 77 Lynn, Michael RS FR    
OC 51 Jurgens, Cameron RS SO 68 Farniok, Will RS SO 58 JOSH WEGENER SR/TR 52 Forbes, AJ RS SO    
RG 56 Wilson, Boe RS SR 70 Sichterman, Matt RS JR XX Corcoran, Turner FR / XX Piper, Ethan RS FR    
RT 71 Farniok, Matt RS SR 54 Benhart, Bryce SO XX Corcoran, Turner FR / XX Piper, Ethan RS FR    
TE 86 Stoll, Jack RS SR 11 Allen, Austin RS JR 82 Rafdal, Kurt RS JR XX Vokolek JR/TR    
QB 2 Martinez, Adrian JR 16 Vedral, Noah JR/TR 7 McCaffrey, Luke SO XX Smothers FR    
RB 26 Mills, Dedrick SR/TR 37 Johnson, Rahmir SO 38 Belt, Brody RS SO XX Morrison / Bradley JR    

DEFENSE                    
Pos No. Player                
DE 97 Thomas, Deontre JR XX / 99 Banks, Brant RS FR            
NT 93 Daniels, Damion RS JR XX / 99 Robinson, Ty RS FR            
DE 95 Stille, Ben RS SR XX / 92 Wildeman, Tate            
ILB 31 Miller, Collin RS SR 3 Honas, Will SR/TR XX / 83 Shurtleff, Sam RS FR        
ILB 53 Johnson, Joseph RS SO 28 Reimer, Luke SO 89 Graham, Jamin RS FR        
OLB 2 Tannor, Caleb JR 44 Nelson, Garrett SO            
OLB 13 Domann, JoJo RS SR / 45 Alston, David            
NB 13 Domann, JoJo RS SR                
SS 19 Dismuke, Marquel RS SR 49 Stalbird, Isaiah RS SO 30 Sullivan, Eli RS SR        
FS 5 Taylor-Britt, Cam JR 8 Williams, Deontai SR TR            
CB 23 Bootle, Dicaprio RS SR 17 Clark, Braxton RS SO            
CB 12 Newsome, Quinton SO 25 Butler, Tony RS SR 33 Wright, Javin RS FR        

SPECIAL TEAMS                    
Pos No. Player                
PT 99 Przystup, Will RS/FR/TR                
PK 32 Pickering, Barret JR 35 Waldoch, Matt JR            
LS 38 Jackson, Damian RS JR 94 Mueller, Cade RS SO            
H 16 Vedral, Noah JR/TR                
PR 10 Spielman, JD RS SR 5 Taylor-Britt, Cam JR 1 Robinson, Wan'Dale SO        
KR 1 Robinson, Wan'Dale SO 14 Johnson, Rahmir SO 38 Belt, Brody RS SO        
KO 35 Waldoch, Matt JR                

• Haha 2

I'm not trying to take anything away from Joe Burrow.  But when you can just throw it up and let your receivers go get it, it makes things a ton easier.  Same thing watching Notre Dame just lob it up to Claypool over and over again earlier today.

Hopefully Manning and Betts can fill that role for us for the next few years and make our offense look a lot different.

• Plus1 8

I found this today and thought it was interesting. Going into fall camp in 2017 his third year Riley only had 77 scholarships filled and 14 offensive lineman on scholarship. As well as only 7 scholarship wide receivers. We essentially had a self imposed 8 scholarship penalty. 

Things will change before fall camp, but Frost currently has 88 scholarships (planning for attrition) as well as 18 scholarship lineman and 11 scholarship wide receivers. 

It's amazing how badly Riley mismanaged the roster and it's taking time for Frost to rebuild it. 

• Plus1 4
3 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I found this today and thought it was interesting. Going into fall camp in 2017 his third year Riley only had 77 scholarships filled and 14 offensive lineman on scholarship. As well as only 7 scholarship wide receivers. We essentially had a self imposed 8 scholarship penalty. 

Things will change before fall camp, but Frost currently has 88 scholarships (planning for attrition) as well as 18 scholarship lineman and 11 scholarship wide receivers. 

It's amazing how badly Riley mismanaged the roster and it's taking time for Frost to rebuild it. 

Next year will tell us what we need to know about Frost.  We are not quite there, as our talent he recruited is mostly freshman and sophmores, but if we go 5-7 i will lose most my faith in him.  7-5 or better i will feel pretty good about Frost.

• Plus1 1

21 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

It's crazy how bad Riley was at everything.  

• Plus1 1

* Of the 164 on the roster, 131 have joined the program in the two years since Scott Frost took over as head coach. 

* A whopping 77 enter the 2020 season either as freshmen or redshirt freshmen. That number includes 40 scholarship freshmen and 37 walk-ons. 

* It's taken a couple of unique situations, but of 123 players who were on the roster for 2019 — so everybody except for the new additions in December — there are only eight who have not used a redshirt. They are: senior Brenden Jaimes, juniors Adrian Martinez, Caleb Tannor and Cam Taylor-Britt and sophomores Wan'Dale Robinson, Garrett Nelson, Quinton Newsome and Luke Reimer. 

LJS

• Thanks 1

Yes.  I don’t want to read anymore about coaches complaints of “lack of depth”.   Only thing I am waiting for is that first new 7-deep chart. 

If the staff can’t find about 44 of 164 that can play decent football next fall then it’s time to unload another 100 or so and get cruitin !

lol. Or form a division II program.  

8 hours ago, Mavric said:

LJS

It really is amazing how this staff has flipped and reloaded the roster, all while allowing the vast majority of kids to redshirt and develop.

I know it has not been a fun two seasons to watch the team on the field due to results.  But, I firmly believe the staff is setting us up for success in the future.

From day one, Frost has talked about building a base on the team the right way.  This is what he's talking about.