Your 2020 Nebraska Cornhuskers

BIG ERN

• 2 weeks later...

We seem to have a lot more natural OLBs than ILBs. I still think Greene & Mauga-Clements are natural OLBs. Either way I think a significant upgrade in sheer speed and athleticism is occurring. It just seems our LBs have been bogged down by either lack of athletic talent (Barry) or too much thinking/responsibility/choosing wrong gaps (Honas). 

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, Decked said:

We seem to have a lot more natural OLBs than ILBs. I still think Greene & Mauga-Clements are natural OLBs. Either way I think a significant upgrade in sheer speed and athleticism is occurring. It just seems our LBs have been bogged down by either lack of athletic talent (Barry) or too much thinking/responsibility/choosing wrong gaps (Honas). 

I think you're right on the natural fit for these guys. However, if they make a good transition to inside the thought of guys like Greene or Mauga-Clements on the interior of your defense is awesome for us and scary for other teams.

• Fire 1

Something interesting to watch this week will be Cameron Jurgens competing for the Nebraska track team for the first time in the shot put. The Husker football player from Beatrice had a throw of 63 feet, 3 inches, in high school that ranks seventh in state history.

Pepin says it’s good when the track team can use football players when they don’t have conflicts with spring football practice.

“That’s what the really good programs across the country are doing,” Pepin said. “They got a lot of football players on their team, particularly in the sprints and jumps and occasionally in the throws. And that’s one of things that we haven’t had. So that’s really hurt us because if you get a guy like that you don’t have to pay anything for him so now you can take that scholarship and get a guy in another event. And you may not have him all the time, but they’re there for the big meets that are important.”

LJS

Speed on defense is critical to success.   Big and slow maybe works at the goal line or in real bad weather where footing is tough.  
hopefully we have three deep at every spot with some experience and decent size and above average speed / quickness.   Then of course the defenders have to be good fundamental tacklers.  These coaches know these things and are trying to get enough pieces on the field to play solid defense.  If they have speed then they can be much more aggressive and attack and even overplay sometimes.  Those things create TFLs and turnovers and sacks etc.  sometimes being out of position is a good thing as the offense can’t scheme as easily consistently.  But if you overplay you’ve got to be able to recover and stop the big play results.  

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2020 at 9:58 AM, 84HuskerLaw said:

Speed on defense is critical to success.   Big and slow maybe works at the goal line or in real bad weather where footing is tough.  
hopefully we have three deep at every spot with some experience and decent size and above average speed / quickness.   Then of course the defenders have to be good fundamental tacklers.  These coaches know these things and are trying to get enough pieces on the field to play solid defense.  If they have speed then they can be much more aggressive and attack and even overplay sometimes.  Those things create TFLs and turnovers and sacks etc.  sometimes being out of position is a good thing as the offense can’t scheme as easily consistently.  But if you overplay you’ve got to be able to recover and stop the big play results.  

I can tell the koolaid is already making its sly entrance into many of us.  But this is a good post.  Other than on the Interior of the DL, I'd take speed anyday over size/strength.  Even more so in todays more spread out game, and even more so for the way we want to play defense.  We want to attack, and create big plays.  Like you pointed out nicely, this type of defense will make mistakes, and if your not fast, then when you overpursuit your gonna give up a big play.  But if your fast than you can still make mistakes or overpursuit without giving up a huge play.  Strength and size mean absolutely nothing if your not fast enough to lay hands on someone.

And we got some very fast LBs , i dont believe you necessarily have to be big to be an ILB.  Id be perfectly fine playing 4 OLBs , instead of 2 and 2.  

• Plus1 1