Your 2020 Nebraska Cornhuskers

BIG ERN

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Interesting observation from the HOL guys this morning:

Huskers are getting to a point where a much larger percentage of the starters are seniors.  From a development and training standpoint, that's usually a good sign - not having to rely on younger guys who aren't as developed.

They listed several seniors who are likely starters or at least right in the mix.  Could be nearly half the first 22.

Offense - Mills, Stoll, Jaimes, Farniok, Wilson

Defense - Stille, Honas, Miller, Domann, Bootle, Dismuke, DWilliams.

All are fifth-year players except Jaimes.

I'm not trying to be a Negative Nancy here, just trying to think critically about this info and make some observations.

The thing is, this really doesn't speak to having "flipped the roster" much at all IMO. Flipping the roster takes time. And I hate to say it but I'd probably go with seven out of those 12 guys really not being good football players as their time here has shown - which has been the narrative of what Frost has had to work with.

I want to be wrong about this but I don't think our lines are there yet at all.

• Haha 1

Just now, Undone said:

I'm not trying to be a Negative Nancy here, just trying to think critically about this info and make some observations.

The thing is, this really doesn't speak to having "flipped the roster" much at all IMO. Flipping the roster takes time. And I hate to say it but I'd probably go with seven out of those 12 guys really not being good football players as their time here has shown - which has been the narrative of what Frost has had to work with.

I want to be wrong about this but I don't think our lines are there yet at all.

Yes and no.  Mills, Honas and Deontai Williams are all Frost recruits, just seniors already because they are JUCOs.  And I'm thinking Wilson might not be a starter.  Plus Farniok is likely switching positions because Frost has recruited better where he was playing.

So that would be seven seniors that are Riley holdovers that haven't gotten recruited over.  So Frost is still responsible for nearly half of that number.

15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yes and no.  Mills, Honas and Deontai Williams are all Frost recruits, just seniors already because they are JUCOs.  And I'm thinking Wilson might not be a starter.  Plus Farniok is likely switching positions because Frost has recruited better where he was playing.

So that would be seven seniors that are Riley holdovers that haven't gotten recruited over.  So Frost is still responsible for nearly half of that number.

Dang, I consistently forget about Honas being a Frost recruit for some reason. And good call on Wilson potentially not being a starter anyway.

Maybe it's best to just take the original statement from HOL at face value: 

Huskers are getting to a point where a much larger percentage of the starters are seniors.

And when we come to a place where this remains true and those players are guys like this:

-Adrian Martinez

-Wan'Dale Robinson

-Ty Robinson

-Taylor-Britt

-Pola-Gates

-Nick Henrich

-Cam Jurgens

-Bryce Benhart

-Brant Banks

-Turner Corcoran

-Zavier Betts

-Keyshawn Greene

(and I'm obviously missing a bunch more)

Then you've got a whole different caliber of team.

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Adding to the conversation about seniors starting, I also look forward to the day when Frost is recruiting and developing talent which is able to go to the NFL after their 3rd or 4th years, and they don't make it to their senior seasons.

You will have a long wait then - a decade maybe.  lol

I look forward to a time when we get about 8 drafted annually, mostly seniors.  

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

You will have a long wait then - a decade maybe.  lol

I look forward to a time when we get about 8 drafted annually, mostly seniors.  

Not necessarily. I would want skill players to come in and ball out for 2-3 years, and leave for the NFL.  Then rinse and repeat.  That’s what the  best programs do. Looking at the current roster, I could see Omar Manning, Chris Hickman, Zavier Betts being skills guys who could leave for the NFL before completing their eligibility.  If Fidone comes to NU, that would be another guy who would probably leave early for the NFL. Bryce Benhart is a lineman who I could see leaving early, as well. 

Your views of players needing to stick around for 5 years are archaic. 

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Not necessarily. I would want skill players to come in and ball out for 2-3 years, and leave for the NFL.  Then rinse and repeat.  That’s what the  best programs do. Looking at the current roster, I could see Omar Manning, Chris Hickman, Zavier Betts being skills guys who could leave for the NFL before completing their eligibility.  If Fidone comes to NU, that would be another guy who would probably leave early for the NFL. Bryce Benhart is a lineman who I could see leaving early, as well. 

Hickman might be a stretch.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Archaic?    lol

You list 3 unproven recruits and a hoped for 4th.  Be three years for sure for these leave early (if at all).

We better get 5, 6 or 7 yearly or will never win enough to land 5 star guys.  Neb has hardly ever had many early pros - much less a bunch every year.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Archaic?    lol

You list 3 unproven recruits and a hoped for 4th.  Be three years for sure for these leave early (if at all).

We better get 5, 6 or 7 yearly or will never win enough to land 5 star guys.  Neb has hardly ever had many early pros - much less a bunch every year.  

If those guys pan out, there is a great chance those guys leave early. I want them to be good/great enough so that they do leave early.

You say that Nebraska hardly ever had many guys leave early for the pros, and I respond that’s why NU has struggled to win a championship the past 20 years. Yes, I know that guys stayed even on the 90s team, but that was a different time when NFL careers were longer than they are now. Throw in the fact that guys get their big pay days with their second NFL contracts and not their first, there is a big incentive for guys to leave to the NFL early.  If NU wants to compete with the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State, it needs to have talent where at least 2-3 guys are going pro “early” each year. 

2 hours ago, AlaSker said:

Hickman might be a stretch.

Yes, it may be a stretch, but if he is able to progress and be a stud WR/TE hybrid, then it would be great to see him go pro early. 

1 minute ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Lets hope Hickman is a great blocker.  Hes probably a little light for TE and idk if hes fast enough to be a great WR.   A tweener?  

The coaches love him as a blocker.  That's why he will see the field.  You may call him a "tweener", I call him a hybrid who can line up at TE on one play, and the next play line-up as an outside receiver.  That gives the offense a lot of flexibility and allows that offense to play fast, because if the offense subs in a player, they must allow the defense to sub in a player, as well.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1