Your 2020 Nebraska Cornhuskers

BIG ERN

53 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK...the argument that a lot of our talent at the WR positions is unproven is a valid one.  But, to say we have 3 solid starters and after that we are thin or short handed just isn't the case.  

I meant if we had Wandale, JD, and Manning that would have been a damn good starting 3. JD obviously left. After Wandale our leading WR is Warner who had 101 yards total receiving last year. I think Manning and Betts are going to be great but haven't played a D1 snap yet. I'd say if two walk ons are playing your WR room has a few issues at least for this season. The running of Mills and AM is going to be vital along with getting our good TEs involved. 

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I meant if we had Wandale, JD, and Manning that would have been a damn good starting 3. JD obviously left. After Wandale our leading WR is Warner who had 101 yards total receiving last year. I think Manning and Betts are going to be great but haven't played a D1 snap yet. I'd say if two walk ons are playing your WR room has a few issues at least for this season. The running of Mills and AM is going to be vital along with getting our good TEs involved. 

You are leaving out a lot of guys from that room that came in with everyone thinking they had a lot of talent.  As Undone has listed....

45 minutes ago, Undone said:

There are a lot of other freshmen as well, like Nance, Alante Brown, Marcus Fleming, Demariyon Houston, Barron Miles, Jr...long list.

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You are leaving out a lot of guys from that room that came in with everyone thinking they had a lot of talent.  As Undone has listed....

I said THIS season though.....Brown will be the only one getting serious PT since Fleming is gone from the sounds of it. 

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I said THIS season though.....Brown will be the only one getting serious PT since Fleming is gone from the sounds of it. 

FWIW, it was sounding like Fleming was gone but now it sounds like he will be here. Cautiously optimistic.

I don’t disagree with your overall point. Walters was practically begging some of the freshmen WRs to step up last year and it’s probably not the greatest sign that none of them really did. I think we have talent there and we are going to surprise people but I think we all thought 4-star Jaevon McQuitty was going to be a problem for defenses too and it didn’t work out that way. I’m excited for the potential but understand your caution.

9 minutes ago, Decked said:

I’m really not sure why you guys think that a true freshman is gonna light up the stat sheet as a 3-4 nose. I question some of your takes on here :lol:. Of course the substance is minimal but that game he held his own given the circumstances. 

That's what I thought as well.

Also he's been one of the guys that Duvall has posted videos of in the weight room and it's clear that combining Duvall's efforts with his genetic potential, this kid is big & strong.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I'm pretty excited to see how Mills looks this year.  I was hard on that guy early in the year, which probably wasn't justified, being our line was pretty bad and we didn't have a guy to take over for what Stanley Morgan brought.  I was watching some highlights of his runs later in the year, and there was a lot to like.  He started to show more patience and stayed vertical, which allowed longer runs.  Early on it appeared that he wanted to run everyone over.  If he can make a speed jump like Ozigbo was able to do, he could be very, very good.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

18 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

I'm pretty excited to see how Mills looks this year.  I was hard on that guy early in the year, which probably wasn't justified, being our line was pretty bad and we didn't have a guy to take over for what Stanley Morgan brought.  I was watching some highlights of his runs later in the year, and there was a lot to like.  He started to show more patience and stayed vertical, which allowed longer runs.  Early on it appeared that he wanted to run everyone over.  If he can make a speed jump like Ozigbo was able to do, he could be very, very good.  

Watching back the Wisconsin game back last year Mills was in prime form. We get our entire O-line back, AM has started 2 seasons - no reason we shouldn't be able to run that ball more efficiently this year. 

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

I was a pretty big fan of Ozigbo but I think Mills will be much better.  I expect he will be top 3 in the B1G for rushing.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

Good stuff.

As you mentioned his big issue in the first half of the year was patience (and then maybe also vision). He was actually running into his own blockers.

Mills clearly took to the coaching and was a solid player by that Wisconsin game when he racked up 188 yards. I think there's some good evidence that Held is a pretty decent coach.

• Plus1 1