Your 2020 Nebraska Cornhuskers

BIG ERN

Some facts and figures from an Ohio State game preview:

• Based on available records, 2020 is believed to be the first time Nebraska returns its entire starting offensive line since two-platoon systems were first allowed under NCAA rules in 1964.
  • Nebraska is the only team in the country who had the same starting offensive line (by player and position) for every game during the 2019 season and returned all five of those starters.
  • More than two-thirds of the Husker roster is underclassmen, as 109 of the 154 players are either freshmen or sophomores (71 percent).
  • Nebraska has 79 freshmen on its roster, more than the sophomore, junior and senior classes combined. Fifty-one percent of NU’s roster is freshmen, the second straight season freshmen have made up more than half of the roster.

https://www.journal-news.com/blog/hartman/nebraska-ohio-state-what-you-need-to-know-about-saturdays-season-opener/ONV5CC6UGVDQNM6XAYRTU3DETM/

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

So we know that Omar probably wont play this weekend.  What does out TE and WR 3 deep best guess look like?  Sorry, I am driving and cant look it up at the moment, super safe typing this by the way.

Nobody really knows because a depth chart hasn't been released and this is a position that hasn't been discussed as far as starters in press conferences.  Unless I've missed it.

7 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

So we know that Omar probably wont play this weekend.  What does out TE and WR 3 deep best guess look like?  Sorry, I am driving and cant look it up at the moment, super safe typing this by the way.

Feels like a bit of a crap shoot. My best guess is here, they've talked up guys like Falck and Liewer more than the freshmen but I suspect (hope) they're being a little cagey to make it harder for their DBs to prepare. Typing this out I feel worse than I did before, lol.

X                   Y                  Slot                    TE

Warner        Falck            Wan'Dale           Stoll

Hickman    Betts             Brown                Allen

Liewer                              Fleming              Vokolek

I don't know what TE actually looks like, Vokolek could even be #1. And if we go 4 wide that will be pulling from the slot, so Brown/Fleming could play before the backup outside guys. But I don't think we've heard back on Martin's eligibility, and I'm just guessing no on Manning. If we have him, he starts over Falck.

With Omar probably not making the trip, I am going to guess that NU will play a lot of 12 (1 RB, 2 TE) personnel.  There is a decent 3-man rotation at TE with Stoll, Vokalek, and Allen, with 2 of them able to split out wide in certain formations.  NU's will need to run the ball well against Ohio State (and the season) and try to find mismatches in the passing game.  I think Vokalek, Allen, and Wandale can be tough matchups for LB's and Nickel backs.

• Fire 2
36 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Feels like a bit of a crap shoot. My best guess is here, they've talked up guys like Falck and Liewer more than the freshmen but I suspect (hope) they're being a little cagey to make it harder for their DBs to prepare. Typing this out I feel worse than I did before, lol.

I don't know what TE actually looks like, Vokolek could even be #1. And if we go 4 wide that will be pulling from the slot, so Brown/Fleming could play before the backup outside guys. But I don't think we've heard back on Martin's eligibility, and I'm just guessing no on Manning. If we have him, he starts over Falck.

Thanks sir.  

16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

With Omar probably not making the trip, I am going to guess that NU will play a lot of 12 (1 RB, 2 TE) personnel.  There is a decent 3-man rotation at TE with Stoll, Vokalek, and Allen, with 2 of them able to split out wide in certain formations.  NU's will need to run the ball well against Ohio State (and the season) and try to find mismatches in the passing game.  I think Vokalek, Allen, and Wandale can be tough matchups for LB's and Nickel backs.

I am curious to see what Hickman looks like, and he definitely is a matchup issue with his size.  I am guessing here, but he would probably be more of a deep threat than Allen.  I do understand they play different positions, but I would go there before placing two tight ends split out.  

• Plus1 1

36 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Based on what I've read and heard the last couple days I think the WR depth chart shakes out as follows:

X:  Warner/ Falck / Liewer

Y:  Brown / Betts or Fleming 

R:  Robinson/ Hickman / Belt 

TE: Stoll / Vokolek or Allen

Very possible we see Warner and Falck on the field at the same time - including in 4 WR sets. Also expect to see Hickman in both the slot and outside (when we go to trips).

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
Just now, CAHusker said:

I am curious to see what Hickman looks like, and he definitely is a matchup issue with his size.  I am guessing here, but he would probably be more of a deep threat than Allen.  I do understand they play different positions, but I would go there before placing two tight ends split out.  

My thought is that two of the three (Vokolek, Stoll, and Allen) will be on the field a lot against Ohio State, and if NU stays "on schedule" that will allow NU to stay balanced and be able to run our pass out of 12 personnel.  Now, if NU is forced into long-yardage situations, then yes, one or both of the TE's would come off the field, and more of the true WR's will be on the field.

It will be interesting to see how Hickman is used.  With his size, and background at TE, he can definitely be a hybrid player, who can line up in the slot and be used as a blocker or pass catching threat in the middle of the field.  He can also be split out wide, be used as a blocker on WR screens, or a deep threat on jump-ball passes.

32 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I had thought I read that OSU has 1 returning starter in the secondary.  Even though our WR's are inexperienced still hoping this could play in our favor.

52 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I suspect (hope) they're being a little cagey to make it harder for their DBs to prepare.

It wouldn't surprise me if at this point Frost is doing exactly that with Manning's status - saying he doesn't know if Manning will travel purely to give Ohio State more to prepare for. Same reason we haven't seen a depth chart released.

1 minute ago, suh_fan93 said:

I had thought I read that OSU has 1 returning starter in the secondary so they have lost some guys back there.  Even though our WR's are inexperienced still hoping this could play in our favor.

But does NU have enough depth at WR's to play a lot of them vs. Ohio State?  That is my biggest question.  I think NU needs to try and take pressure off of Adrian.  That means trying to run the ball with Mills and the other I-Backs, short passes to TE's and slot receivers in the middle of the Ohio State zone defense (they started playing more zone last year) and then trying to take shots deep on occasion.

Just now, Toe said:

It wouldn't surprise me if at this point Frost is doing exactly that with Manning's status - saying he doesn't know if Manning will travel purely to give Ohio State more to prepare for. Same reason we haven't seen a depth chart released.

There is definitely gamesmanship done by Frost and trying to keep as much info away from Ohio State, as possible.