Your 2020 Nebraska Cornhuskers

BIG ERN

1 hour ago, Toe said:

I think that applies to the offensive line especially. Last year we lost three starters - the last of Bo's OL recruits, leaving us with mostly Riley linemen. The new guys were, uhh, not ready. But O-lines take the longest to develop and gel as a unit, so even with largely the same players, we could see a lot of improvement vs a year ago.

Definitely. That’s partly why I’ve resided to a 5-year plan before really judging the direction of this leadership. Hedges my expectations and I think it’s reasonable after what this program has been through over the last 7 years in particular. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

One thing I am curious about is special teams. How will our new kicker fare? New punter? 

We also have a new person returning punts and we definitely need a threat to take kickoffs. Brody Belt is an amazing player, but he is not beating anyone to the house in the B1G. I am wondering what this new special teams coordinator will do to help us on that end of things. I know he can't have  a headset so who does he communicate to for the plays on ST?

Another thing I am slightly concerned about is our corners are smaller. Braxton Clark was our guy to take on the opposing teams #1 bigger receivers since he was around 6'3. Now, Myles Farmer is 6'2 and a NB, so will he be expected to take on those bigger receivers? I have no doubt Bootle and CTB can cover, but it will be interesting to see how they do against these bigger receivers. Especially trying to get off blocks and make plays on screens etc. 

Finally, how good will our receivers be with or without Manning? It seems the blocking should be improving so the screens should work. However, OSU will be expecting those so can we beat them deep with Betts, Brown, or Wandale to get their DBs guessing is an important question. I wonder if Houston or Nance can also see the field some after being in the system for a year. I could go on about some other questions but tomorrow will answer a lot of these win or lose. 

I think his work is done 100% between sunday and friday.  When saturday gets here we probably have a game plan and the players just need to execute.  Now i'm sure there is a certain coach in charge of the unit during the game to make minor adjustments if a wrinkle is found or needed.

1 hour ago, Toe said:

I think that applies to the offensive line especially. Last year we lost three starters - the last of Bo's OL recruits, leaving us with mostly Riley linemen. The new guys were, uhh, not ready. But O-lines take the longest to develop and gel as a unit, so even with largely the same players, we could see a lot of improvement vs a year ago.

agree totally - Miles had a great end to the season, however OL deserves a chunk of that credit.

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

Is it just me or does this bolster the idea that he had a positive COVID test and is about to clear the sit-out period?

Need this guy against Wiscahnsin.

The big ten instituted a 21 day Covid rule even if you are asymptomatic. So no. That would not make sense. 

• Haha 2

I mean whatever the problem was, it sounds like he was probably physically and mentally ready to go today. To me, it sounds more like he's missed so much practice that he needs more time to learn the playbook and stuff.

In any case, holy crap do we still need a legit deep threat!

8 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

On Big Red Overreaction, Benning suggested Manning wasn't injured/sick. Get the feeling he wasn't being a team player. Hope that has changed, and if it has, he needs to stop tweeting about it and do it.

That’s very disappointing I’d true. Maybe there needs to be an improvement in that area with a lot of our young WR talent. 

• Plus1 1