Your 2020 Nebraska Cornhuskers

BIG ERN

10 hours ago, Undone said:

Just a for-fun prediction: Thompkins takes Mills' starting RB spot by week 6.

I've been pretty leary of Mills all off-season.  People were talking about 1000 yard seasons and who would be next in line behind him but I didn't see it.  He's a solid back but lack explosiveness.  He'll have a role but I think others start taking his carries.

Pretty much what we saw yesterday.  He averaged 2.8 ypc.  Thompkins averaged 5.5.  Thompkins out-yarded him on roughly half as many touches.  It's only one game but I don't think that's an accident.

• Plus1 2

Really think we are on the cusp. Take away the fumble touchdown, and that last TD, OSU would have put up 38. And that's 38, with the officials blatantly helping them. 

Even with out using our stars, Mills and Robinson, and our more talented WRs not playing, we moved the ball at will, when we didn't shot ourselves in the foot. If we played more man coverage which our CBs appeared last year to be more comfortable, I think we have a ball game. 

If we build on what we did, I think everyone is going to like the result at the end of the season.

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Thompkins out-yarded him on roughly half as many touches.  It's only one game but I don't think that's an accident.

Yeah, man. When they talked about Thompkins having "about as good of hands as anybody on the team" I figured it just meant in terms of snagging catches, but you can tell his athleticism makes him a really good receiver because he can turn his body back up field quickly and then explode.

He's just plain quick.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I've been pretty leary of Mills all off-season.  People were talking about 1000 yard seasons and who would be next in line behind him but I didn't see it.  He's a solid back but lack explosiveness.  He'll have a role but I think others start taking his carries.

Pretty much what we saw yesterday.  He averaged 2.8 ypc.  Thompkins averaged 5.5.  Thompkins out-yarded him on roughly half as many touches.  It's only one game but I don't think that's an accident.

I think Mills game was hampered by the inconsistency of the offense yesterday.  If I remember correctly, most of his runs where predictable play calls and the defense was all over him quickly.  I do agree that Thompkins will get more touches, and he should.  I just keep going back to the Wisconsin and Iowa game where Mills was outstanding.  It’s great to have them both.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

I think Mills game was hampered by the inconsistency of the offense yesterday.  If I remember correctly, most of his runs where predictable play calls and the defense was all over him quickly.  I do agrees that Thompkins will get more touches, and he should.  I just keep going back to the Wisconsin and Iowa game where Mills was outstanding.  It’s great to have them both.

I mean ... if it was the offense others would have had the same problem.  But Thompkins was basically twice as productive.  It's pretty hard to make a distinction between a "predictable" run and "he's really best running straight ahead so we're going to do that on first down and see what we get".  Chicken and the egg.

• Fire 1
Just now, Mavric said:

I mean ... if it was the offense others would have had the same problem.  But Thompkins was basically twice as productive.  It's pretty hard to make a distinction between a "predictable" run and "he's really best running straight ahead so we're going to do that on first down and see what we get".  Chicken and the egg.

That's the issue with Mills as the main RB.  NU needs to try and feature more north-south running with Mills, and less east-west, but NU can't also be predictable with Mills in the game.  Against Ohio State, it looked like NU was trying to get to the edge with the running game and quick passes to Wandale, and then counter-attack with QB runs up the middle and passes to the TE's over the middle.  Mills struggles in getting to the edge.  I did like his using him as the fullback in the I-formation.  He was used that way at Ga Tech, and is a wrinkle which NU can use a few times a game.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Literally the only thing we did worse (on a per-play basis) was "throw the ball to Kurt Rafdal" (1 catch for 1 yard).  We were better off doing literally anything else yesterday, running or throwing.

I was surprised with the way Austin Allen played.  I thought he played pretty well, and hopefully he can start showing his versatility which everyone imagined from him coming to NU as a recruit.

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, Decked said:

The big ten instituted a 21 day Covid rule even if you are asymptomatic. So no. That would not make sense. 

The 21 Day rule is the most insane rule put in place (maybe second to the targeting penalty.). The BIG TEN isn’t even following the science they claim to be for.  The CDC is thinking of reducing the quarantine to 7 days with a negative test.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Agreed. But then again, not so long ago we were both saying that about Ozigbo...

22 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Are you feeling argumentative today?   I basically agree with you, I just stated that I liked what I saw at the end of the year from Mills and I am happy we have both.  

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That's the issue with Mills as the main RB.  NU needs to try and feature more north-south running with Mills, and less east-west, but NU can't also be predictable with Mills in the game.  Against Ohio State, it looked like NU was trying to get to the edge with the running game and quick passes to Wandale, and then counter-attack with QB runs up the middle and passes to the TE's over the middle.  Mills struggles in getting to the edge.  I did like his using him as the fullback in the I-formation.  He was used that way at Ga Tech, and is a wrinkle which NU can use a few times a game.

exactly

• Plus1 1