Your 2020 Nebraska Cornhuskers

BIG ERN

A little off topic, but I loved the I Belly Option. Pretty much successful every time. Mills isn't quite fullback size, but hits the hole hard enough to be a threat, opening up the keep/pitch. We need to be different, and old-school power I option would be totally unique in the B1G. McCaffrey looks even faster than Crouch at times...

Forgive me, I was just dreaming of better days...

11 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

A little off topic, but I loved the I Belly Option. Pretty much successful every time. Mills isn't quite fullback size, but hits the hole hard enough to be a threat, opening up the keep/pitch. We need to be different, and old-school power I option would be totally unique in the B1G. McCaffrey looks even faster than Crouch at times...

Forgive me, I was just dreaming of better days...

Nebraska didn’t become an option-based offense until Crouch arrived and Solich started calling plays. Frankly, Solich’s reliance on the option was due to his limitations as a play-caller and play-designer.

Under Osborne, he ran plenty of option, but he stated numerous times that his option was a form of a pass play, to get the ball outside in space. In the mid-90s, Osborne was at his peak when he mixed spread concepts into his power running game. Many of those spread concepts are used all over college football today.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Nebraska didn’t become an option-based offense until Crouch arrived and Solich started calling plays. Frankly, Solich’s reliance on the option was due to his limitations as a play-caller and play-designer.

Under Osborne, he ran plenty of option, but he stated numerous times that his option was a form of a pass play, to get the ball outside in space. In the mid-90s, Osborne was at his peak when he mixed spread concepts into his power running game. Many of those spread concepts are used all over college football today.

Agreed on all points. I was really referring to Crouch's years, which, by definition, were better. Yes, I know the college football landscape has changed, and maybe we can't be a power running/option team ever again. But a guy can dream, right?

I mean, if we're young and inexperienced at receiver, maybe run more I? The O-line moved an elite, albeit young defensive line yesterday pretty well at times. What I wouldn't give to see Thompkins on a counter-sweep or take an option pitch. 

I'm just saying, we'd be kind of like Wisconsin and Iowa, but different with the threat of the QB run.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Agreed on all points. I was really referring to Crouch's years, which, by definition, were better. Yes, I know the college football landscape has changed, and maybe we can't be a power running/option team ever again. But a guy can dream, right?

I mean, if we're young and inexperienced at receiver, maybe run more I? The O-line moved an elite, albeit young defensive line yesterday pretty well at times. What I wouldn't give to see Thompkins on a counter-sweep or take an option pitch. 

I'm just saying, we'd be kind of like Wisconsin and Iowa, but different with the threat of the QB run.

I expected NU to run more 12 personnel yesterday, but they ran a lot more 21 personnel than we’ve seen in the past. It will be interesting to see if they keep those formations in the fold against the rest of the Big Ten. 

• Plus1 2

So thinking about it a bit more...

DL:  Looked pretty solid.  I think they will hold up very well vs the run.

OLBs:  Way better than I thought.  Also, Nelson is going to make a lot of Husker fans very sad.

The rest looked about how I expected.  But I feel like they are going to be just fine this season.