Your 2020 Nebraska Cornhuskers

BIG ERN

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Because he is going to be playing less and less.  And he is a nice hometown story.  

He needed to make a jump in the off season from "plays really hard" to "plays really hard and is a game changer" I don't think he made that jump so unfortunately I think you're right he'll get passed over.

21 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Teach, is he better suited for inside?  At least I think he was playing at OLB?

It is just a really tough position (OLB) I don't think he would be any better to play inside but he might be.

OLB is is asked to do so much, no one can cross your face, you have to cover, you have to play with square shoulders on option plays, you have to take on TE's and pullers with your outside arm always in the right spot while staying low and while not giving ground.  

Nelson just likes to run around and run into people. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It is just a really tough position (OLB) I don't think he would be any better to play inside but he might be.

OLB is is asked to do so much, no one can cross your face, you have to cover, you have to play with square shoulders on option plays, you have to take on TE's and pullers with your outside arm always in the right spot while staying low and while not giving ground.  

Nelson just likes to run around and run into people. 

Let's make him a really big strong safety and just let him fly up and smash people, haha.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Decked said:

They are hoping Omar can contribute this week. Sounds like he needs to study his playbook as well. 

Not disagreeing with you.  But, where are you seeing the issues with the playbook?  I've only seen comments about him being healthy.

Now, if he hasn't been healthy enough to practice, I can see him having issues with the plays.  But, haven't seen comments on that.

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not disagreeing with you.  But, where are you seeing the issues with the playbook?  I've only seen comments about him being healthy.

Now, if he hasn't been healthy enough to practice, I can see him having issues with the plays.  But, haven't seen comments on that.

Sounds like from what I heard in the presser that he hasn’t been mentally there (physically too obviously) and due to that needs to get cracking on a lot of things. Needs to get dialed in. Sounds like there are a couple guys like that. No block no rock either. As absurd as that is. 

• Haha 1
40 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The coaches are using Omar's "health" as a cover because they can't come out and say "Omar has skipped practices, he's done a lot of immature things, and he's not grasping the playbook".

Plus, if the coaches make his absence vague and blame it on his health, it still doesn't make it certain when Omar will make it to the field.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

I hope to god that we see Alante Brown & Omar in the Wisconsin game. It’s hard to run and score when they just stack the box & key on Robinson. I get that maybe their blocking isn’t up to par but you’d be a fool to keep trotting out Liewer, Kade, and Falck. Robinson can’t do it alone. Would also like to see more running game (North and South for Christ sakes too) from Mills instead of being cute + Piper in at LG. Liked what I saw from Thompkins. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The coaches are using Omar's "health" as a cover because they can't come out and say "Omar has skipped practices, he's done a lot of immature things, and he's not grasping the playbook".

I don't buy it. They haven't been particularly shy about saying when guys have mental work to do - they called out Jojo on it last year. And one of them talked about most Jucos needing it to be year 2 before they're fully ready. We can't wait that long with Omar, but if it wasn't injury stuff I think they'd be saying that. And Frost did imply there were motivation issues at one point, but I think not traveling last week had to be injury related.

• Fire 1
32 minutes ago, Decked said:

I would also like to say that Dismuke is the great value version of Larry Asante & Williams is the knockoff version of Daimion Stafford with slightly worse covering ability. 

I believe Dismuke played most of last season fighting through a neck injury. Williams has only played like one quarter of football since November of 2018 (prior to the Ohio State game on Saturday, that is).

I'd prefer to give these guys some games against opponents not named Ohio State or Penn State to judge them on, personally.

49 minutes ago, Decked said:

Liked what I saw from Thompkins. 

Rewatching his runs from this weekend it almost looked like he has a Le'veon Bell running style. He really seemed to be able to wait for a hole to develop and then hit it hard once it opened.

48 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't buy it. They haven't been particularly shy about saying when guys have mental work to do - they called out Jojo on it last year. And one of them talked about most Jucos needing it to be year 2 before they're fully ready. We can't wait that long with Omar, but if it wasn't injury stuff I think they'd be saying that. And Frost did imply there were motivation issues at one point, but I think not traveling last week had to be injury related.

They called out Jahkeem Green last year too on playbook and getting in shape and I think some others.