Your 2020 Nebraska Cornhuskers

BIG ERN

4 hours ago, Ziebol said:

OL was not the biggest issue. We trotted out one of the worst WR groups in recent memory

Disagree. JD and Wan'dale were great. The main problem at WR was that we went from Stanley Morgan to Kanawai Noa, which was, um, a big drop-off. If you want to say that plus a lack of depth at WR was a problem, I'd buy that, but as a unit the OL was a bigger problem.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Hate to say wait another year but I think the roster flip comes into effect 2021 and beyond. You can just see a lot of spots with a lot of young talent and that's even with losing a lot of guys 

Agree, I just shutter when I look at next years schedule. 

8 hours ago, Toe said:

Which receiver spot is Hickman expected to play?

He will play both inside/outside and some Duck-R for us.   He won't run the ball much but will be used in that position for blocking mostly and short throws.  

3 hours ago, WVhuskerXX said:

Agree, I just shutter when I look at next years schedule. 

Shutter as in you’re worried? I look at next years schedule and see the only 2 games I see as pretty much guaranteed loses are Oklahoma and Ohio State. I’d take a 10-2 season right now. Hell I’d even take a 9-3 (added lose to Michigan) or 8-4 ( add Wisconsin as another loss). That would be a huge stride for the program 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
40 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

Shutter as in you’re worried? I look at next years schedule and see the only 2 games I see as pretty much guaranteed loses are Oklahoma and Ohio State. I’d take a 10-2 season right now. Hell I’d even take a 9-3 (added lose to Michigan) or 8-4 ( add Wisconsin as another loss). That would be a huge stride for the program 

Why do folks continue to do this?  We can't even get to a bowl right now, have won 13 games in the last 3 years combined, and you see potential for 10-2 in 2021 with that schedule?

• Plus1 3
5 hours ago, Toe said:

Disagree. JD and Wan'dale were great. The main problem at WR was that we went from Stanley Morgan to Kanawai Noa, which was, um, a big drop-off. If you want to say that plus a lack of depth at WR was a problem, I'd buy that, but as a unit the OL was a bigger problem.

Hence why I said WR group. By the end of the season the OL wasn’t losing us games. There was no confidence in any WR not named JD or Wandale. When they were banged up there was almost 0 WR production. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Ziebol said:

There was no confidence in any WR not named JD or Wandale.

Was there some O-lineman that you felt inspired a level of confidence comparable to JD or Wandale? Because I sure don't remember seeing any.

By the end of the season the OL wasn’t losing us games.

(...)

When they were banged up there was almost 0 WR production. 

So basically, your argument is that at one point in the season the OL (which IIRC wasn't too bad for injuries) was losing us games, and at another point in the season the WRs (who got banged up) were losing us games, and therefore WRs bad? Alrighty then.

4 hours ago, Ziebol said:

Hence why I said WR group. By the end of the season the OL wasn’t losing us games. There was no confidence in any WR not named JD or Wandale. When they were banged up there was almost 0 WR production. 

WRs got to get open and catch thd ball AND somebody has to throw it to them.   

The offense had miscues all around - RBs, WRs, TEs, OL, QBs, coaches. Defense and special

teams did their share in all these losses also.   It was a team effort with plenty of contributions all around that produce 13 wins in 3 years.   

Nothing a special WR or 2 is going to remedy.   Getting to 10 wins from 4 or 5 is a big jump.  We have a long way to go and skipping around 45 practices and about 3 bowl games, 4 reg season games and now a funky, disjointed, non-organized summer with “virtual recruiting”, is all NOT helping Frost as he tries to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, runningblind said:

Why do folks continue to do this?  We can't even get to a bowl right now, have won 13 games in the last 3 years combined, and you see potential for 10-2 in 2021 with that schedule?

Several of those games were one play or one score deals.  That can be fixed pretty quick - besides OU and OSU we will have flipped the roster to have enough talent to win those 10 games.  Missing a bowl game by one game 2 or 3 years ago will be a non factor next year. 

• Plus1 1
54 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Several of those games were one play or one score deals.  That can be fixed pretty quick - besides OU and OSU we will have flipped the roster to have enough talent to win those 10 games.  Missing a bowl game by one game 2 or 3 years ago will be a non factor next year. 

Just having a decent kicking game would have added 3-5 wins imo.  We haven't been quite as bad as our record would indicate so I believe the optimism is warranted.  10 wins next year may be a stretch but not a huge stretch.  I really think we go 5-5 or 6-4 this year against the 13th toughest schedule in the country.  Add in 2 non-conference wins and a 9 or 10 win season next year would look attainable.        

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, GBRFAN said:

You're doing the same thing. I get the sentiment, I have done the same thing for years up until this one, but you're still making leaps about being able to win one score games and the recruited talent actually having developed into a 10 win team when we just haven't seen it yet. There have been reasons that NU loses those one play or one score games and I need to see it on the field before I even start to expect 7 or 8 wins again.  There have been two 10 win seasons since I started college in 2003, 17 years ago. Those were in a much easier conference than the Big Ten is right now, and then you add in a top 5 non conference opponent to boot.  I just don't see it, especially if there ends up being no football this year and all this young talent cannot develop further.