Your 2020 Nebraska Cornhuskers

BIG ERN

26 minutes ago, Toe said:

He was 4* on 247's rating, just not on their composite score. And even the composite was just barely below it - .89 is the mark for 4*, and Brown was .8897.

And where's Demariyon Houston at? He's another one who was just barely shy of 4*. And Jamie Nance was 4* on Rivals. I think people forget just how many guys Frost has been redshirting!

What worries me is how desperate we were at the position last year and neither Houston or Nance sniffed the field.  Also I don't think I've heard either one of their names mentioned by any coaches.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Farms said:

What worries me is how desperate we were at the position last year and neither Houston or Nance sniffed the field.  Also I don't think I've heard either one of their names mentioned by any coaches.

Even if they don't play much, we still have WanDale, Brown, Hickman, and I'm guessing Betts at least sees the field.  If Hickman or Betts develops into a threat this year, it's going to be a huge benefit for WanDale and Brown.

13 minutes ago, Farms said:

I don't like to bash any young men playing college football, but I am making the assumption that these guys are not going to make it on the field.  Last year would have been an opportune time to show something, anything.   Now there may be more to their issues than we are seeing, but with the talent that came in last year, not sure if time is on their side.  If we can consistently recruit in the top 10-20 range, there will always be a few of 4* guys not making it.  I do wish them luck though.  

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

I don't like to bash any young men playing college football, but I am making the assumption that these guys are not going to make it on the field.  Last year would have been an opportune time to show something, anything.   Now there may be more to their issues than we are seeing, but with the talent that came in last year, not sure if time is on their side.  If we can consistently recruit in the top 10-20 range, there will always be a few of 4* guys not making it.  I do wish them luck though.  

I can give them a pass last year - neither was polished, so even with our WR issues they were extremely slight and very raw. And based on their position coach parting ways, maybe weren't getting great coaching. We've had such terrible depth that we've expected guys to be able to make an impact in year 2, and not everyone will.

It's definitely not a good sign that they appear to be behind all of the healthy freshmen, but they've got speed. Hopefully they continue to develop, and can then be contributors as upperclassmen so we can stop adding grad transfers to bolster our experience. I'll always be willing to take a juco stud like Manning, but we need more of our juniors/seniors to be guys in the system for their careers. I bet one is a significant contributor down the line.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

One thing that sort of sticks out to me is that there aren't that many true juniors from Frost's first class expected to make big impacts this season outside of Martinez.

People have basically written off Caleb Tannor (I'm not in that camp), and then in terms of offensive linemen, the better ones didn't start coming in until the 2019 class.

It's too bad that there isn't at least one WR that could have been recruited in 2018 that was expected to make a big impact this season. I think this is why the people that said after the Ohio State game last year that this was a four year total time-to-fix were right; the guys from the 2019  & 2020 classes will need to grow and make big impacts to really turn this team around.

• Plus1 2

22 minutes ago, Undone said:

One thing that sort of sticks out to me is that there aren't that many true juniors from Frost's first class expected to make big impacts this season outside of Martinez.

Frost redshirted almost all that class if I'm not mistaken so there just isn't very many true juniors at all.

But, contributing from that class are:

Jurgens

Tanner (not sure if I've seen anyone writing him off)

Farniok is the Center back up.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him play some this year if there is injuries on the interior line)

Williams will be the starting FS probably.

Honas

Taylor Britt 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Frost redshirted almost all that class if I'm not mistaken so there just isn't very many true juniors at all.

I do not know why I phrased it like that, now that I look back over my post. I meant to basically say "year three" players (true Juniors or redshirt Sophomores).

And I forgot Taylor-Britt & Jurgens were in that camp - which was definitely a big herp derp slip by me.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Farms said:

Speaking of coaches, that's a big difference that some might be forgetting: we have a new WR coach this year (who also happens to be the OC, lol). Frost obviously wasn't happy with what he got from Walters, and the lack of development of those young WRs was probably part of it.

• Plus1 1

One thing I am curious about is special teams. How will our new kicker fare? New punter? 

We also have a new person returning punts and we definitely need a threat to take kickoffs. Brody Belt is an amazing player, but he is not beating anyone to the house in the B1G. I am wondering what this new special teams coordinator will do to help us on that end of things. I know he can't have  a headset so who does he communicate to for the plays on ST?

Another thing I am slightly concerned about is our corners are smaller. Braxton Clark was our guy to take on the opposing teams #1 bigger receivers since he was around 6'3. Now, Myles Farmer is 6'2 and a NB, so will he be expected to take on those bigger receivers? I have no doubt Bootle and CTB can cover, but it will be interesting to see how they do against these bigger receivers. Especially trying to get off blocks and make plays on screens etc. 

Finally, how good will our receivers be with or without Manning? It seems the blocking should be improving so the screens should work. However, OSU will be expecting those so can we beat them deep with Betts, Brown, or Wandale to get their DBs guessing is an important question. I wonder if Houston or Nance can also see the field some after being in the system for a year. I could go on about some other questions but tomorrow will answer a lot of these win or lose. 

• Plus1 1

Considering roughly 17 of the 22 starters at last season opener had less than 2 years of D1 experience, I am excited to see this teams development on Saturday. I’m sure it’ll be sloppy, but I’m optimistic for a good showing.

They are having about the quietest off-season in terms of drama in maybe 20 years - outside of ESPN trying to s#!t on Nebraska for 2 days - is a minor detail making me real excited for this season.

I don’t care if we get beat by 3 scores tomorrow, I just want to see a team fight and I think this years team will have the most we’ve seen since Bo. If there’s ever a time for “us against the world” it’s now. Husker fans are ready to pop and hope these guys bring it. 

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Considering roughly 17 of the 22 starters at last season opener had less than 2 years of D1 experience, I am excited to see this teams development on Saturday. I’m sure it’ll be sloppy, but I’m optimistic for a good showing.

I think that applies to the offensive line especially. Last year we lost three starters - the last of Bo's OL recruits, leaving us with mostly Riley linemen. The new guys were, uhh, not ready. But O-lines take the longest to develop and gel as a unit, so even with largely the same players, we could see a lot of improvement vs a year ago.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, HuskermanMike said:

Brody Belt is an amazing player, but he is not beating anyone to the house in the B1G.

Agree with you for sure. All I would say is this: if he can make better decisions on when to fair catch and when to let it bounce, that would be a big boost over last year.

We let too many punts bounce that we should have fair caught and fair caught too many that would have been touchbacks. Need some smarter play at that position in addition to talent level.

12 minutes ago, Undone said:

Agree with you for sure. All I would say is this: if he can make better decisions on when to fair catch and when to let it bounce, that would be a big boost over last year.

We let too many punts bounce that we should have fair caught and fair caught too many that would have been touchbacks. Need some smarter play at that position in addition to talent level.

If brody belt wasn’t on the field in general it would be in the best interest for Nebraska.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Decked said:

If brody belt wasn’t on the field in general it would be in the best interest for Nebraska.

Like I said, I'm talking about those situations where the ball's going to land like on your 14 yard line but we let it bounce and then they touch it down on our 2. Dumb stuff like that.

If he helps improve things at all over what we were doing last year it'll help our chances.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Undone said:

People have basically written off Caleb Tannor (I'm not in that camp), and then in terms of offensive linemen, the better ones didn't start coming in until the 2019 class.

It's too bad that there isn't at least one WR that could have been recruited in 2018 that was expected to make a big impact this season. I think this is why the people that said after the Ohio State game last year that this was a four year total time-to-fix were right; the guys from the 2019  & 2020 classes will need to grow and make big impacts to really turn this team around.

Yes first class was mostly a bust - Scott and company have stated many times that their goal was to over recruit the class before so that the guys had to work hard to keep their rank on the team and it is pretty evident that the first class was a notch down.  With that said we will probably see a couple slow bloomers that surprise us this year and next.