Your 2020 Nebraska Cornhuskers

BIG ERN

@ColoradoHusk said:

"Iowa has to be so mad at themselves for losing to Northwestern in week 2, especially since they had a 17-0 lead.  Iowa had no business losing that game, yet they did."

Great call. Up 17-0 and then only get one more field goal to lose 21-20, LOL.

Outside of the clusterjam disaster that was our offense against Illinois (that probably doesn't happen if Martinez had been the starter), we've lost 2 of our 4 losses by one score.

If we can play and beat the Goofers I think that's "improvement," given that we lost to both them and Purdue last year. 

• Plus1 3

I would agree with this. Toward the end of the Callahan era, the Riley era, the Solich era, and a bit the Pelini era, you could sense the team had lost their fire.

That is not the case with this team. They're often like an unguided bottle rocket, but they look like they're running around with their hair on fire. 

• Plus1 6

@Wistrom Disciple  I agree with all of your post.

If anyone said "F-it!" towards the end of the Pelini era it was Bo.  He didn't quit in the sense of sulking and just go through the motions, but he took on the aura of knowing he was canned and was tired of being pulled along by a thread.

I'm not going to defend Pelini's choices, he's earned his reputation.  But I fully believe we wouldn't have seen near the attitude from Bo if he was dealing with a different athletic department that knew how to handle his personality.

• Plus1 2

The athletic department didn't make Pelini have a meltdown during the Ohio State game.  He owns the "fair weather fan" rant all on his own.  If that doesn't happen, who knows how the story may have changed.  The difference between Frost and Pelini is that Frost is just as disgusted with the huskers losing as any fan is.  He gets it.

• Plus1 2

@funhuskerCouldn't agree more. Bo definitively didn't do himself any favors with some of his comments & actions. But I'm not sure any coach would have done well with Eichorst & Perlman trying to control everything. Would've been fun to see Moos & Pelini working together 

@HilltopTrue, Pelini had some outburts that were clearly crossing a line. The "fair weather fan" comment was justified. I don't understand your last sentence. Both Pelini & Frost despise losing. A key difference is that Frost has a united administration supporting him, Bo did not. 

• Plus1 1

I kind of wish that these divergences about past coaching regimes would be instantly forked into one big megathread of that very topic. Not that I don't like talking about this stuff - I really do! Just tends to muddy up so many threads.

Anyway, on that train of thought (LOL)...

I never really held the "fairweather fans" comment against Bo, honestly. How many times have I been mad at my wife or mad at somebody at work and went off on them in private with a trusted group of people? Ever done that? I'll just admit it - I've done it countless times.

You never expect somebody to be freaking recording it and then to release the secret recording to the public. 

That recording and him daring the administration to fire him consisted of the last straw though - but in my own mind I like to think that Bo got fired because we expected titles and he just wasn't capable of delivering them. There's no way he gets the best of even Wisconsin over these last five years consistently had he still been coaching. He just didn't have it in him .

• Plus1 1