Your 2020 Nebraska Cornhuskers

BIG ERN

7 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Yes.  I don’t want to read anymore about coaches complaints of “lack of depth”.   Only thing I am waiting for is that first new 7-deep chart. 

If the staff can’t find about 44 of 164 that can play decent football next fall then it’s time to unload another 100 or so and get cruitin !

lol. Or form a division II program.  

There will be more depth, but the depth will be young in 2020.  I think 2021 will be the first year where Frost has the talented, experienced, and conditioned depth which he wants and needs.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There will be more depth, but the depth will be young in 2020.  I think 2021 will be the first year where Frost has the talented, experienced, and conditioned depth which he wants and needs.

Depends on what you mean by 'needs' IMO. He has what he needs to get to a bowl game this year, that needs to happen. But I agree 2021 we need to be at least in the West division race.

3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Depends on what you mean by 'needs' IMO. He has what he needs to get to a bowl game this year, that needs to happen. But I agree 2021 we need to be at least in the West division race.

I don't disagree that NU should have a winning record and get to a bowl in 2020, they should have been there in 2019, but there were a number of issues which arose during the season.  2021 is the first year where the Frost will be able to look at the roster and say "we can compete for a championship with this roster".

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Literally most of the team will be 2nd and third year players by the fall.   Most will have been thru st least a spring and fall and a bunch two springs and season plus fall camps. Most have either played some snaps in 4 games as red shirts or ran lots of scout teams etc.  Nearly every guy was a star player at quality level high schools and or juncos.  They’ve all been good football players for years.  
Now with 2 years in the current system, they really don’t qualify as rookies anymore.   
The experience factor should be dramatically better in addition to double the time in the S&C program.  
This strongly suggest we’re a better team in 2020.  

Just now, 84HuskerLaw said:

Literally most of the team will be 2nd and third year players by the fall.   Most will have been thru st least a spring and fall and a bunch two springs and season plus fall camps. Most have either played some snaps in 4 games as red shirts or ran lots of scout teams etc.  Nearly every guy was a star player at quality level high schools and or juncos.  They’ve all been good football players for years.  
Now with 2 years in the current system, they really don’t qualify as rookies anymore.   
The experience factor should be dramatically better in addition to double the time in the S&C program.  

I agree that there will be more depth and a better team in 2020, but it likely won't be a championship contending team until 2021.

• Fire 1

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree that there will be more depth and a better team in 2020, but it likely won't be a championship contending team until 2021.

No.  But a 7 or 8 win season is not a losing season and is better than we’ve had.  Many seem to think we’ll be no better and suffer thru a long losing season yet again.  
If these coaches are actually teaching and training 164 players the next 8 months, it seems very hard to foresee a crappy year.  Big ten champs in 2020?  Not much chance but in the hunt for the west?   IMO.  You bet!  

2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

No.  But a 7 or 8 win season is not a losing season and is better than we’ve had.  Many seem to think we’ll be no better and suffer thru a long losing season yet again.  
If these coaches are actually teaching and training 164 players the next 8 months, it seems very hard to foresee a crappy year.  Big ten champs in 2020?  Not much chance but in the hunt for the west?   IMO.  You bet!  

We are pretty much saying the same thing.

7 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Well, some people choose to be negative people and not look deeper as to what is going on.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Well, some people choose to be negative people and not look deeper as to what is going on.

It seems to me that the vast majority of Husker fans were just plain unaware of the long term recruiting deficiencies (19 years worth in my opinion) and only now, after blaming “bad” coaching (schemes etc) thru several coaching staffs, and not inadequate recruiting sufficiently, they’re awakened to a talent issue.  But the talent is getting better and will finally become apparent this fall!   

Seems like some pretty intentional depth building rather than just trying to win as soon as possible. I think Frost and the higher ups have had a plan from the get go for building talented depth and that's what we're seeing with all the redshirting. I think they expected to be able to win a few more with what they had, but they weren't going to sacrifice the plan regardless of the results.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

The main issue with any strong expectations of this is that typically, offensive linemen take two full years to really develop. Meaning, heading into their third year with the program they are physically prepared as well as developed in their technique to the extent that they are much closer to their max potential than when they arrived on campus.

Now with, say, linebackers I don't think that's the case as much. That's a position where intuition, drive, and speed play a huge role so you can put a kid in there his redshirt freshman year and if he's a good player he'll probably start excelling.

My prediction is that in 2021 we'll see a huge jump because of the development of talented offensive linemen. I'm not even really that worried about what happens next year but would really love to at least go 6-6 to be able to have a bowl game to look forward to in the winter.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Seems like some pretty intentional depth building rather than just trying to win as soon as possible. I think Frost and the higher ups have had a plan from the get go for building talented depth and that's what we're seeing with all the redshirting. I think they expected to be able to win a few more with what they had, but they weren't going to sacrifice the plan regardless of the results.

I would expect that by 12 months from now they’ll be another 50 or so changes to the overall roster once more.  Some walkons and grads and a half dozen transfers in/out as the overall talent and depth development & bldg continues.  The pace will then slow down to a more typical annual turnover rate.  
Assuming we land a top 15 class and even better grade of walkons (though probably half as many), and fewer redshirt numbers, the climb back to national relevance will be nearly complete.  As the roster transformation comes to fruition, the in game strategy will reveal just how good this Coaching regime really can be.   

• Plus1 1