A tale of two seasons...

Since it's unfortunately offseason too early, here is another walk down memory lane comparing 2018 to 2019.  I guess 5 wins is better than 4 (thanks JoJo), but Heady from the WH, breaks down some really poor statistics....  Looks like we really missed Stan, Oz, Farmer and Foster.  And real shocker, a kicker....Some really bad stats that explain a lot are here:

From 2018 to 2019, NU gained fewer first downs, ran for fewer yards, threw for fewer yards, gained fewer yards per rush, gained fewer total yards, scored fewer touchdowns, scored fewer total points, made fewer field goals, gave up touchdowns more often in the red zone, scored less in the red zone, gave up more kickoff return yards and touchdowns and broke up fewer passes.

Some of that change was drastic, like the 17.8-percentage point decrease in field goal percentage or the 14-percentage point decrease in red zone scores or the 11 fewer pass breakups.

Other stats were almost identical....No where to go but up I guess....

Article here:

https://www.omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/football/huskers-left-with-more-questions-after-season-but-scott-frost/article_6076cc57-44d6-5023-b97c-87c9bde1ed9c.amp.html

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Too much reality.  A worse second season (aside from the 4 wins vs 5 wins) for the new coach and his chosen staff.  

Maybe next year some of those hoped for jucos will be able to overcome the coaches' ill advised, often strange game decisions. 

Kind of hard to argue with the stats.......It's just crazy we led the B1G in chunk plays, put up all those yards against Wisky and we still lost all those games....  We just have a complete inability (Maryland as the outlier) to out together a complete game in all 3 phases....I truly hope Frost reaches out to his mentors (I'd hire Urbs) and has them analyze game film to point out our flaws in all 3 phases.....

9 minutes ago, lo country said:

Kind of hard to argue with the stats.......It's just crazy we led the B1G in chunk plays, put up all those yards against Wisky and we still lost all those games....  We just have a complete inability (Maryland as the outlier) to out together a complete game in all 3 phases....I truly hope Frost reaches out to his mentors (I'd hire Urbs) and has them analyze game film to point out our flaws in all 3 phases.....

We absolutely had red zone issues.....pile up yards, no points.

I think the revamped interior OL is going to improve that by a large percentage.

12 minutes ago, lo country said:

I truly hope Frost reaches out to his mentors (I'd hire Urbs) and has them analyze game film to point out our flaws in all 3 phases.....

My fear is that Scott Frost would not understand those things.  I don't know.  It's just that a feeling is emerging that this person is limited in his mental capabilities.  This is not the ACC.  He was not truly successful in any of his other jobs in football.  He was just okay here and not so good there, etc.  Then he landed the UCF job and flourished for a season (I wish he'd have stayed there longer, not as a snarky thing to say, but so he could have gained some more HC experience;  I cannot define him by one good season in that conference).

• Fire 1
12 hours ago, lo country said:

Since it's unfortunately offseason too early, here is another walk down memory lane comparing 2018 to 2019.  I guess 5 wins is better than 4 (thanks JoJo), but Heady from the WH, breaks down some really poor statistics....  Looks like we really missed Stan, Oz, Farmer and Foster.  And real shocker, a kicker....Some really bad stats that explain a lot are here:

From 2018 to 2019, NU gained fewer first downs, ran for fewer yards, threw for fewer yards, gained fewer yards per rush, gained fewer total yards, scored fewer touchdowns, scored fewer total points, made fewer field goals, gave up touchdowns more often in the red zone, scored less in the red zone, gave up more kickoff return yards and touchdowns and broke up fewer passes.

Some of that change was drastic, like the 17.8-percentage point decrease in field goal percentage or the 14-percentage point decrease in red zone scores or the 11 fewer pass breakups.

Other stats were almost identical....No where to go but up I guess....

Article here:

https://www.omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/football/huskers-left-with-more-questions-after-season-but-scott-frost/article_6076cc57-44d6-5023-b97c-87c9bde1ed9c.amp.html

And against an easier schedule.  Next season is going to be brutal.

Tom Osborne is quite capable of doing any analysis without charge I’m sure.  Most likely already has done this type of thing all along.  
I’m sure if there are coaching changes or schematic or other ideas that can help Frost Tom can and will and most surely has offered.  
I doubt Frost would turn down the advice and help from someone like that.  He already gets all the free counsel from all the know-it-all’s on Huskerboard.  There’s almost no crazy suggestion left out on this site not to mention all the experts in the media.  Lol.  

frost just needs to carefully dissect the first two seasons and be willing to ask himself what they are doing wrong and why and formulate strategies to do better!

5 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Wow........

Any recognitions he was awarded were in one single year of his coaching career(s):  2017.  At UCF.  In the AAC. 

His hire here astounded me.  As if his prowess as a player here, and his name as a fan magnet, were worth tens of millions of dollars ($35 million over 7 years).  What?  .. Well, it garned hope for a fallen program.  But I'm sorry, hope does not win games.

• Thanks 1

The stats bare this all out. The defense has improved in almost every category with the exception of red zone defense (53rd in 2018, 122nd 2019). The offense has fallen off in most categories. Rushing offense is pretty much where it was last year, it's the passing stats that have stymied the total offense and scoring offense stats. The drop off in the red zone is even worse for the offense than the defense, finishing the at 116th, down from 26th last year.

2019 2018 2017 2016 2015
Total Offense 59 25 87 90 34
Scoring Offense 74 57 84 79 43
Rushing Offense 31 28 119 73 52
Passing Offense 84 51 27 86 33
Team Passing Efficiency 76 61 78 99 66
First Downs Offense 46 54 95 67 37
3rd Down Conversion Pct 58 85 89 33 24
4th Down Conversion Pct 97 101 79 37 23
Red Zone Offense 115 26 110 82 18

Total Defense 64 94 100 30 64
Scoring Defense 67 88 115 33 76
Rushing Defense 94 96 114 43 9
Passing Yards Allowed 34 78 60 49 121
Team Passing Efficiency Defense 29 34 95 30 78
First Downs Defense 75 84 95 18 39
3rd Down Conversion Pct Defense 74 103 99 41 24
4th Down Conversion Pct Defense 35 92 62 49 14
Red Zone Defense 123 53 102 73 52

Turnover Margin 66 83 106 34 117
Net Punting 39 79 42 123 45
Punt Returns 61 59 85 78 42
Kickoff Returns 108 125 31 47 116
Fewest Penalties Per Game 20 114 78 55 105
Fewest Penalty Yards Per Game 18 116 99 62 99
Time of Possession 94 111 52 26 20
  • Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Any recognitions he was awarded were in one single year of his coaching career(s):  2017.  At UCF.  In the AAC. 

His hire here astounded me.  As if his prowess as a player here, and his name as a fan magnet, were worth tens of millions of dollars ($35 million over 7 years).  What?  .. Well, it garned hope for a fallen program.  But I'm sorry, hope does not win games.

Welp.....there ya have it.....

The worst part of the tail end of this season for me was that not beating Purdue meant that the Maryland game wasn't the "gotta win it to make a bowl game" game. I really don't feel all that bad that #17 Iowa beat us - a team with a Top 10 defense and an NFL-bound rush end.

The Purdue game was a good example of the lack of offensive depth (which isn't exactly Frost's fault) and also a reiteration of how bad not having a scheme to rush the passer has hurt this team. A backup QB had all day to throw. Also in that game, Frost again decided against pounding Mills in there on like 1st & goal from the 2 or 3 yard line and we settled for a field goal there. We lost by four points (the difference between that touchdown and the field goal). 

If we had just won that one there wouldn't be nearly as much doom and gloom. We'd be looking at potentially having a bowl win, giving us 7 wins.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
55 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

Utilizing a TE and getting a big bodied WR would go a long way in helping the RZ offense. Camp reports are rarely negative but the one negative we’ve heard every camp has been that we’ve struggled to score in the RZ and that it’s been frustrating for the staff.

A reliable field goal kicker would help a ton too.

• Plus1 1