2020 Schedule Analysis

5 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

You don't have proven replacements unless you are playing in the 90's and those days are over with the exception of the top 5 teams in the country and even then you only get about 5 games a year where they can get extended minutes.

We have 3 DL that will fit our scheme way better then DDD in DT/GJ/BS and one of the other young guys may surprise us at D-end. D. Williams will be way more physical then L Jax.  most of the sacks by our line this year were based on coverage sacks - next year we will find somebody that can actually do it with talent.

No way our defense takes a step back next year.

They dont even play the same position. Clark will replace Jackson and i think will do a good job.

20 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

I think that Purdue game is the biggest game of the year. I think that dictates how the season goes. Beat Purdue and we are looking at a great September, with the biggest challenge being Cincy. Lose to Purdue and this season very well falls off the rails quick.

Yes, especially coming off two losing seasons we have to set the tone coming out of the gate. Will be surprised if it isn't a shootout. 

6 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

I just want a bowl game. If they're not bowl eligible by the Ohio State game they're f#&%ed.

Why what does this really accomplish?  So you make to some crap bowl? Big whoop can't wait until we make too 3 crap bowls in a row?  Win the west or the season doesn't meet expectations.  Period

• Haha 2

I see 7-5, maybe 8-4 if SF can get a signature win (PSU, WIS)    Winning the West is a very very long longshot.   Last year we were competitive against OSU, this year against WIS & Iowa after being blown out repeatedly the last few years.

That would happen in the past against the Oklahomas,  Miami's, & Florida States til OZ started recruiting the right talent and we had monstrous success.  

We get the right recruits for Frost's system we can be a national presence again but it will take 5 years imo.   GBR

21 hours ago, TheSker said:

I agree with you totally about this stretch.

But in my opinion, we have to start being the ones who start being the more physically dominant team.

I truly believe that mentality is our biggest issue post-Riley.

I am 100% certain that is where Frost is trying to go.  

It's why we won't be recruiting linemen shorter than 6'5" very often.  They can add NFL weight and have reach.

We need to be the physically dominant team, and I believe that's a top goal.

Not sure why this post got two laughing responses.  It's exactly right.  We need to become a physically dominating team.  We need to be a team that holds up against teams like OSU, Wisconsin and Iowa.

Not sure how someone could disagree with this.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
46 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

Why what does this really accomplish?  So you make to some crap bowl? Big whoop can't wait until we make too 3 crap bowls in a row?  Win the west or the season doesn't meet expectations.  Period

Because it's the first step to getting out of where we are.  It also gives us needed practice time and exposure.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not sure why this post got two laughing responses.  It's exactly right.  We need to become a physically dominating team.  We need to be a team that holds up against teams like OSU, Wisconsin and Iowa.

Not sure how someone could disagree with this.

Agreed and I think it started wt Bo and became stronger under MR - emotionally fragile.  When we get behind in the game, we lose the fight. However, I think this has already started to improve under SF.  I have seen more fight in the team. 

But we have to become more like Wisc as they became more like old NU.  Physically tough and mentally tough. 

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

Agreed and I think it started wt Bo and became stronger under MR - emotionally fragile.  When we get behind in the game, we lose the fight. However, I think this has already started to improve under SF.  I have seen more fight in the team. 

But we have to become more like Wisc as they became more like old NU.  Physically tough and mentally tough. 

The issue with me is that this team needs to come out of the tunnel September 5th next year with the attitude they had in the second half of the Iowa game this year.  THEN, improve from there.  

This team has the ability to be physical and have a tough mental attitude.  It's just so dang frustrating in that they don't have the ability (yet) to start the season that way with every game and carry that through to the final whistle.  

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The issue with me is that this team needs to come out of the tunnel September 5th next year with the attitude they had in the second half of the Iowa game this year.  THEN, improve from there.  

This team has the ability to be physical and have a tough mental attitude.  It's just so dang frustrating in that they don't have the ability (yet) to start the season that way with every game and carry that through to the final whistle.  

correct. The Maryland game was the only real 'complete' game this year.  And it was just maryland..  The non-conf schedule is no cakewalk esp based on our performance the last 2 years.  It is very hard to imagine us to ever be competitive wt Ohio State unless there is some very dynamic change in attitude, talent depth, and OL and D play.   Scott will have an important decision to make on the QB spot as AM didn't prove to be very dynamic this year.  With our resources and commitment, NU should not be in the bottom tier of this conference. I still think it may be 2022 before we have a break out year - too much poor attitude (mental toughness lacking, poor habits),  and MR recruits still on the team and by then we will have SF recruits throughout the system  with experience.

10 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

correct. The Maryland game was the only real 'complete' game this year.  And it was just maryland..  The non-conf schedule is no cakewalk esp based on our performance the last 2 years.  It is very hard to imagine us to ever be competitive wt Ohio State unless there is some very dynamic change in attitude, talent depth, and OL and D play.   Scott will have an important decision to make on the QB spot as AM didn't prove to be very dynamic this year.  With our resources and commitment, NU should not be in the bottom tier of this conference. I still think it may be 2022 before we have a break out year - too much poor attitude (mental toughness lacking, poor habits),  and MR recruits still on the team and by then we will have SF recruits throughout the system  with experience.

Well, looking back at MR's recruiting classes, here is what I think is still on the team for next year.

'15

Gaylord ??

'16

Matt Farniok

Miller

Domann

Dismuke

Bootle

Spielman

Stille

'17

McQuitty ??

Sichtmann

Jaimes

Daniels

Rafdal

Bando

Allen

All the rest are Frost recruits.  So, if 15 players are dragging down the team of close to 85 scholarship players.....we have an issue.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1