2020 Schedule Analysis

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, looking back at MR's recruiting classes, here is what I think is still on the team for next year.

'15

Gaylord ??

'16

Matt Farniok

Miller

Domann

Dismuke

Bootle

Spielman

Stille

'17

McQuitty ??

Sichtmann

Jaimes

Daniels

Rafdal

Bando

Allen

All the rest are Frost recruits.  So, if 15 players are dragging down the team of close to 85 scholarship players.....we have an issue.  

You can't win with all freshmen. What don't people get about that? TAKES TIME WHEN YOU GET HANDED LEMONS 

• Plus1 5

1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

You can't win with all freshmen. What don't people get about that? TAKES TIMES WHEN YOU GET HANDED LEMONS 

You need upperclassmen leadership and skill on a good team. Can't think of many great teams that are mostly composed of freshman and sophomores that aren't all 5 star guys. Let's give the coaches a chance to develop the players they have recruited. That has been one of the biggest missing pieces in our program for a long time. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, KingBlank said:

Why what does this really accomplish?  So you make to some crap bowl? Big whoop can't wait until we make too 3 crap bowls in a row?  Win the west or the season doesn't meet expectations.  Period

If your expectations are division title or bust you're going to be let down for several more years. Nebraska could be a lot better next year and have a worse record because of the schedule. Nebraska also has coaches learning on the job who most likely will trip over themselves and cost Nebraska a game or two. 

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

You can't win with all freshmen. What don't people get about that? TAKES TIMES WHEN YOU GET HANDED LEMONS 

Completely agree.  At one point during this year, we had freshmen and sophomores calling out and keeping upper classmen accountable. That is unacceptable and not a recipe for success.  Now, those underclassmen have taken a major step in moving this program forward.  They are taking ownership of it.  That will take time though.

• Plus1 1

The thing that stands out to me about that list of players is a lot of those names saw significant playing time.  I see 1 maybe 2 that I think we might see in the NFL as lower round draft picks/free agent pickups.   That's a telling sign to me about what SF inherited.

• Plus1 3
31 minutes ago, Bryon said:

The thing that stands out to me about that list of players is a lot of those names saw significant playing time.  I see 1 maybe 2 that I think we might see in the NFL as lower round draft picks/free agent pickups.   That's a telling sign to me about what SF inherited.

Agree as well, but the hard part is going to be this....Frost started and played some guys who IMO we shouldn't have. That took away from a lot of younger guys getting PT to be able to step up more quickly. You have to play in games to get over the hump. Now over the next 3 years we will have many young guys expected to win games and it will be a tough task. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

correct. The Maryland game was the only real 'complete' game this year.  And it was just maryland..  The non-conf schedule is no cakewalk esp based on our performance the last 2 years.  It is very hard to imagine us to ever be competitive wt Ohio State unless there is some very dynamic change in attitude, talent depth, and OL and D play.   Scott will have an important decision to make on the QB spot as AM didn't prove to be very dynamic this year.  With our resources and commitment, NU should not be in the bottom tier of this conference. I still think it may be 2022 before we have a break out year - too much poor attitude (mental toughness lacking, poor habits),  and MR recruits still on the team and by then we will have SF recruits throughout the system  with experience.

Got to thinking about my post you responded to about needing to come out September 5th with the right attitude.  It's going to be interesting to see how playing a team that we have lost to the last two years first changes the mentality of that first game.  No more are we starting the season with a cup cake that we "SHOULD" beat.  We are playing a team that HAS beat us multiple years in a row.

That should get the players woke up fast and ready to play.  I guess we will see if that happens.

9/5 Purdue

- W. Purdue usually starts the season poorly. I was never convinced Purdue was the up and comers they were made out to be in 2018. Their 2019 was fairly lackluster (as was ours). I think NU wins but Purdue gives a good fight. 

9/12 Central Michigan 

- W. Should have more horses than they do. 

9/19 South Dakota State

- W. Same as Cent Mich.

9/26 Cincinnati 

- Toss up. I honestly don’t know much about them personnel wise. They’re competitive in their league, but I’d hope we have more horses than they do, but I won’t hold my breath. 

10/3 @ Northwestern 

- Toss up. NW is such a quirky team. Sometimes they play like it’s the Super Bowl, other times they fold like a lawn chair. They always get up for their game against Neb. I’d like to think we have enough talent to walk out of Evanston with a win. 

10/10 Illinois

- Toss up. I think Lovie is quietly building a decent program. They’ve shown they aren’t scared to play physical. 

10/24 @ Rutgers

- W. 

10/31 @ Ohio State

- L

11/7 Penn State

- Probable loss. I think they have better talent than we do, but I’m not convinced they’re the world beaters they’ve been made out to be. If Neb has piled up some wins by this point, I could see this being a “prove it” game for Frost and Co where they finally knock someone off and get some confidence. 

11/14 @ Iowa

- Toss up. Iowa will be breaking in a new QB, and will be looking to replace key pieces on D. I think this is finally the year, but won’t hold my breath. 

11/21 @ Wisconsin 

- L

11/27 Minnesota
- Toss up. I’m not totally on the PJ Fleck train. Dude wins 10 games at a program that was already in pretty decent shape before he got there, and people act like he invented football. If Neb enters this game, bowl eligible and with some confidence, I think they can finally play up to their competition for a change and steal a win. 

Being bowl eligible before the OSU game then stealing a couple down the stretch is ideal. Likely? Not so sure. 

It seemed the OL and Mills made some strides to round out the season. TE should be solid. RB should have more depth and less drama. No clue how things will shake out with WR. Can’t get much worse. For QB I think it’s a given that AM will start. I’m admittedly not convinced he’s the right guy and I don’t see any indication SF will move off of him. I’d like for Luke to see the field in some capacity. 

Defense loses lots of starters for DL. Hopefully Ty and Keem are ready to go. Any semblance of a pass rush would be nice. Lose a couple LBs and Lamar. I think there’s some hungry young talent, plus a few juco guys should probably be able to equate 2019’s production. Not really concerned about the secondary. A more productive offense would help the defense immensely. 

Hopefully Barrett is healed up. Would also be nice to see some recruiting for a kicker or punter. Special teams has obviously been a liability. 

1 hour ago, Fru said:

9/5 Purdue

- W. Purdue usually starts the season poorly. I was never convinced Purdue was the up and comers they were made out to be in 2018. Their 2019 was fairly lackluster (as was ours). I think NU wins but Purdue gives a good fight. 

9/12 Central Michigan 

- W. Should have more horses than they do. 

9/19 South Dakota State

- W. Same as Cent Mich.

9/26 Cincinnati 

- Toss up. I honestly don’t know much about them personnel wise. They’re competitive in their league, but I’d hope we have more horses than they do, but I won’t hold my breath. 

10/3 @ Northwestern 

- Toss up. NW is such a quirky team. Sometimes they play like it’s the Super Bowl, other times they fold like a lawn chair. They always get up for their game against Neb. I’d like to think we have enough talent to walk out of Evanston with a win. 

10/10 Illinois

- Toss up. I think Lovie is quietly building a decent program. They’ve shown they aren’t scared to play physical. 

10/24 @ Rutgers

- W. 

10/31 @ Ohio State

- L

11/7 Penn State

- Probable loss. I think they have better talent than we do, but I’m not convinced they’re the world beaters they’ve been made out to be. If Neb has piled up some wins by this point, I could see this being a “prove it” game for Frost and Co where they finally knock someone off and get some confidence. 

11/14 @ Iowa

- Toss up. Iowa will be breaking in a new QB, and will be looking to replace key pieces on D. I think this is finally the year, but won’t hold my breath. 

11/21 @ Wisconsin 

- L

11/27 Minnesota
- Toss up. I’m not totally on the PJ Fleck train. Dude wins 10 games at a program that was already in pretty decent shape before he got there, and people act like he invented football. If Neb enters this game, bowl eligible and with some confidence, I think they can finally play up to their competition for a change and steal a win. 

Being bowl eligible before the OSU game then stealing a couple down the stretch is ideal. Likely? Not so sure. 

It seemed the OL and Mills made some strides to round out the season. TE should be solid. RB should have more depth and less drama. No clue how things will shake out with WR. Can’t get much worse. For QB I think it’s a given that AM will start. I’m admittedly not convinced he’s the right guy and I don’t see any indication SF will move off of him. I’d like for Luke to see the field in some capacity. 

Defense loses lots of starters for DL. Hopefully Ty and Keem are ready to go. Any semblance of a pass rush would be nice. Lose a couple LBs and Lamar. I think there’s some hungry young talent, plus a few juco guys should probably be able to equate 2019’s production. Not really concerned about the secondary. A more productive offense would help the defense immensely. 

Hopefully Barrett is healed up. Would also be nice to see some recruiting for a kicker or punter. Special teams has obviously been a liability. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and do what Minnesota did this year. Would be great to be 7-0 heading into Ohio State. Also not sold on giving us a L against Wisconsin.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

You can't win with all freshmen. What don't people get about that? TAKES TIME WHEN YOU GET HANDED LEMONS 

THIS.  half those players who start/play meaningful time don't even qualify as Big 10 level starters, IMHO.  Where does lack of age/experience really show up?  On the lines.... where was some of our weakest links on the team this year?  Line play and lack of depth.  

Particularly around the offense... go back at look at those oregon offensive lines and what frost had to work with from a run blocking standpoint.  We literally have no one even remotely close to being all big 10 status based off this past year, that will rarely work in a power 5 conference and will never work in the big 10