2020 Schedule Analysis

On 12/2/2019 at 10:07 AM, BIG ERN said:

You can't win with all freshmen. What don't people get about that? TAKES TIME WHEN YOU GET HANDED LEMONS 

That's all fine and dandy, but when you make lemonade, don't go pissing in the water.  That's what he did when he said, "We inherited this team that has no confidence."

Eventually, you gotta down that with or without ice.

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-football-2020-schedule--139970928/

If you are one to plan way ahead, and briefly allow yourself to peer as far into the distance as next autumn, the eye is naturally drawn first to how the race course ends.

When it comes to the Nebraska football schedule next season, basically miles 16 through 26 of the marathon look like they're straight uphill with no water breaks. From Oct. 31 to Nov. 27 next year, the Huskers will take this on: at Ohio State, Penn State, at Iowa, at Wisconsin, Minnesota.

You don't need a full roster rundown of who's coming back from those teams, or next summer's Phil Steele magazine, to recognize that's tough stuff.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Yeah it ain’t gonna be pretty next year. 5-7 seems likely with how that schedule is set up and with the many question marks we have. 2021 aint easy either.

I get it but at some point we are going to need to be reliant on actually improving and being a good team more than being hopeful that our schedule is easy. I understand we are a long way from being a good team,  but by year 4 if we are still pinning our hopes for success on an "easy schedule," and writing off hope because we do not have such a schedule, then the reality is we will still just be stuck as fans of a bad team.

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

I get it but at some point we are going to need to be reliant on actually improving and being a good team more than being hopeful that our schedule is easy. I understand we are a long way from being a good team,  but by year 4 if we are still pinning our hopes for success on an "easy schedule," and writing off hope because we do not have such a schedule, then the reality is we will still just be stuck as fans of a bad team.

I think that reality has already happened. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Ziebol said:

I think that reality has already happened. 

Right.. I am just saying if we are in the 2021 season and trying to justify a 4-8 season based on a "tough schedule," then we will have officially not made even close to the progress we need to have made. At some point we need to close the gap and escalate enough and be able to have good seasons no matter the schedule if we want to be justified in considering ourselves a solid program again. If we can't get there, then I guess we continue to wallow in sadness or jump into dredges, but "tough schedule," arguments won't make it any better. 

• Fire 1
44 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Right.. I am just saying if we are in the 2021 season and trying to justify a 4-8 season based on a "tough schedule," then we will have officially not made even close to the progress we need to have made. At some point we need to close the gap and escalate enough and be able to have good seasons no matter the schedule if we want to be justified in considering ourselves a solid program again. If we can't get there, then I guess we continue to wallow in sadness or jump into dredges, but "tough schedule," arguments won't make it any better. 

If we are a top 20 team the schedule isn't tough.  If we are top 40 program, the schedule is tough.  We need to be a top 20 team, if not better.

38 minutes ago, Redux said:

The first 7 should be 7-0 at best, 5-2 absolute wirst.  But just because Cincy and Central Mich are in title games today doesn't mean they'll be great next year.

But the last 5 games are a gauntlet. I'd say our best case scenario is 8-4 and I'm hoping for 6-6 honestly.

I wish I could see it that way. Purdue will have all their main weapons back and Frost has been out coached by Brohm two years in a row with less talent. SDSU, Central Michigan, and Cincy are all teams trending up. 6-6 is definitely best case scenario with this team as we have not seen any signs of development outside DB’s and DL from year 1 to 2. Plus we have a staff who has mismanaged multiple games. There is also way to many question marks all over the field, specifically WR and special teams. I have 0 confidence this team magically pulls it together between then and kickoff against Purdue. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

I wish I could see it that way. Purdue will have all their main weapons back and Frost has been out coached by Brohm two years in a row with less talent. SDSU, Central Michigan, and Cincy are all teams trending up. 6-6 is definitely best case scenario with this team as we have not seen any signs of development outside DB’s and DL from year 1 to 2. Plus we have a staff who has mismanaged multiple games. There is also way to many question marks all over the field, specifically WR and special teams. I have 0 confidence this team magically pulls it together between then and kickoff against Purdue. 

Yep, I am also in show me mode. I'll assume we're a bowl team, when the team shows me we're a bowl team. I've over shot our win total the last 2 seasons by a wide margin, its a futile effort at this point. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Redux said:

The first 7 should be 7-0 at best, 5-2 absolute wirst

It "should be" 7-0 just based on team talent.  But after the last 2 years they all pretty much look like toss ups outside of Rutgers and maybe SDSU.  SDSU did give Minnesota a run this year but that's pretty much all I know about them.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It "should be" 7-0 just based on team talent.  But after the last 2 years they all pretty much look like toss ups outside of Rutgers and maybe SDSU.  SDSU dide give Minnesota a run this year but that's pretty much all I know about them.

SDSU will give us a game. Their last 3 games against FBS teams are a win against Kansas, a 59-41 loss to top 15 TCU and a 28-21 loss to a pretty damn good Minnesota team. It wouldn't shock me if we drop that one. Definitely wouldn't put it in the Auto Win category. 

Based on that schedule, what we have seen from this team the last two years and some glaring weaknesses at a few position groups (LB, WR etc) going into 2020 I don't see any way they do better than 6-6. And 3-9 or 4-8 is certainly not out of the question by any means. I think it is going to be a very rough road the next two years for DONU. My biggest question would be does HCSF have enough support to survive 4 losing seasons? Hard to see it but with the buy-out as large as it is it could be enough to keep him here for quite a few more years.

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Based on that schedule, what we have seen from this team the last two years and some glaring weaknesses at a few position groups (LB, WR etc) going into 2020 I don't see any way they do better than 6-6. And 3-9 or 4-8 is certainly not out of the question by any means. I think it is going to be a very rough road the next two years for DONU. My biggest question would be does HCSF have enough support to survive 4 losing seasons? Hard to see it but with the buy-out as large as it is it could be enough to keep him here for quite a few more years.

Just like our roster wasn't the same in 2018 and 2019, it will also be different in 2020.

And yes, Frost is gonna be here a long time.  Moos and Green are both involved and on board with Frost's short and long term plans.

• Haha 1