2020 Schedule Analysis

7 hours ago, Otterpop said:

Why should we not expect things to be better next year even though the schedule is tougher. We return every starter on offense with more depth behind them . I would say 7-0 start could happen not saying it will . There’s no game in first 7 that we can’t win if we start 7-0 then confidence is high and you never know what could happen. 

Exactly - I don't expect 7-0, but it's possible. Minnesota started off really shaky this year, but they survived against SDSU and Fresno and then just took off from there. Winning can become a habit.

7 hours ago, ndobney said:

I could see up going 1-11 honestly which is worse cause scenario, but I dont see any non conference guarantee and New Jersey is the only slam dunk we have in the big ten right now. Knock on wood

This is like the opposite of drinking the koolaid. This would require some major regression.

On 12/1/2019 at 10:04 AM, seaofred92 said:

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2020/team/nebraska

9/5 Purdue

9/12 Central Michigan 

9/19 South Dakota State

9/26 Cincinnati 

10/3 @ Northwestern 

10/10 Illinois

10/17 IDLE

10/24 @ Rutgers

10/31 @ Ohio State

11/7 Penn State

11/14 @ Iowa

11/21 @ Wisconsin 

11/27 Minnesota

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Is there a reason we don't push one or two of our non-conf games out into October or November?  It would give us a breather from the brutal part of our Big Ten schedule.  The SEC teams do it nearly every year.  Just think about how much more balanced the 2020 schedule would be if we swapped the South Dakota State and Penn State dates around.    

Also, WTF is up with schedulng a bye week between Illinois and Rutgers?  Do we have no control whatsoever over our scheduling?  What a waste of a bye.  

4 minutes ago, NUance said:

Is there a reason we don't push one or two of our non-conf games out into October or November?  It would give us a breather from the brutal part of our Big Ten schedule.  The SEC teams do it nearly every year.  Just think about how much more balanced the 2020 schedule would be if we swapped the South Dakota State and Penn State dates around.    

Also, WTF is up with schedulng a bye week between Illinois and Rutgers?  Do we have no control whatsoever over our scheduling?  What a waste of a bye.  

3ld5z7.jpg

4 minutes ago, NUance said:

I think we can provide input to the conference in terms of scheduling, but I think it's determined by the conference, unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think we can provide input to the conference in terms of scheduling, but I think it's determined by the conference, unfortunately.

Well, that would explain things.  /shakes head 

It seems too many are projecting a team in 2020 no better than the 2019 squad basically.   That seems a bit pessimistic.  Last year was overblown optimism and now just opposite.   

Some improvement year over year is not unrealistic or unreasonable.  7 wins plus a bowl seems conservative with improved special teams (to be “average” in big ten) and modest gain in offense and defense play.  Another good recruiting year and we’ll have big ten west competitive talent with a reasonable level of experience and senior / junior QBing etc.   from there it is reloading vs rebuilding mostly.  
this is, I think, Frost’s plan.  
I’d say he is on pace to do it. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, NUance said:

What's really going to suck is that 4 road games in 5 games. Reminds me of some of  those Pelini years where we had so many home games in a row but then never had any on the back half.

• Plus1 1

Schedule is rather daunting but this team should be playing like veterans by mid-year and a few injuries won’t kill us with decent second and third stringers to contribute reasonably well.  And, some of the better opponents will have some natural drop off year over year - always happens in the Big Ten especially.  

• Haha 1