2020 Schedule Analysis

4 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

The only crazy scenario is if for some reason Epenesa and Wirfs both come back, but I don't know why they would. And even then, replacing a 3 year starter at QB is difficult. They're always going to be solid, but definitely taking a step back next year.

One thing I'm curious about next year is how losing Tyler Johnson/Rodney Smith/Shannon Brooks affects Minnesota. Obviously they still have Bateman and Ibrahim, but I'm wondering if it will be a little like Spielman this year - they'll still get their numbers, but the offense as a whole could suffer from fewer options. But they do like some of the younger receivers, and I wouldn't actually predict regression with those 2, a returning QB, and the whole OL coming back. Defense could be a different story, particularly if Winfield leaves. Pretty much the whole starting DL/LB core is leaving.

Will also be interesting who they hire to replace their OC who went to Penn State.  That was a sneaky good hire by PSU as Minnesota's offense took a quantum leap forward this year.

20 hours ago, HANC said:

They look very good and a lot of fans has this as an L in the non-con.  Warren may look into draft.  They are good. Home will help

Warren leaving early would be great for Nebraska.  Ridder doesn't scare me in the least...great athlete that can run but he's an atrocious passer.  At the same time, geez Cincy in the non-con?  Where's Old Dominion or UNC Charlotte when you need them?!?!?

2 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Besides Rahmir, which I agree was a bit strange how it was handled, who do you think we blew it on with the 4 game rule?

https://hailvarsity.com/s/7590/2019-nebraska-football-redshirt-tracker

It seems to me got a lot of guys on the field to experience the speed of the game and what B1G football is all about. The guys who didn't get time I'd assume didn't earn the snaps and we didn't have enough blow outs to really give guys great time.

I should have clarified the RS by saying getting quality playing time.  I realize we really didn't have a lead to get a lot of rotation, but Luke for 1 snap when AM (or Noah) when the helmet came off.  Hickman for like a snap or 2 per game, Benhart more snaps etc....Seems like we used some guys in special teams or for a few snaps.  

On the fence about burning to get experience vs getting them crushed when not ready...."New" coaches, new rules.......I am hopeful as we get depth, guys will get more meaningful RS snaps.

17 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Much obliged!

No problem! Had just come across it. Don't know much about him, and the Minny fanbase seems a little meh on it overall. A lot of hoping their interim OC (now Co-OC) retains control based on how well he did in the bowl game. Bowl games can be misleading though - Tim Beck got us 42 points against USC when Bo was fired, and he has not really panned out anywhere else. In any case, I don't expect Minny's offense to be an issue for them next year. Wouldn't be shocked if it's just about the same though.

58 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

No problem! Had just come across it. Don't know much about him, and the Minny fanbase seems a little meh on it overall. A lot of hoping their interim OC (now Co-OC) retains control based on how well he did in the bowl game. Bowl games can be misleading though - Tim Beck got us 42 points against USC when Bo was fired, and he has not really panned out anywhere else. In any case, I don't expect Minny's offense to be an issue for them next year. Wouldn't be shocked if it's just about the same though.

I just looked up Sanford's tenure at WKU and it looks like they were pretty mediocre offensively and I can't give him too much credit for what they did at Utah State this year since Jordan Love is already a pretty known quantity.  If anything, Love took a big step back this year.  'Meh' seems like an appropriate response if I'm a Minny fan.

I didn't like the Cincy game when they scheduled it and I mostly hate it now.  Doesn't move the needle in any way as far as excitement.  Nebraska will be expected to win IMO, but Cincinnati is a tough opponent under Fickell and the 'Huskers will catch hell in the national media if they lose the game and gain much less recognition for winning.  Another crappy gift from Eichorst.

1 hour ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

I didn't like the Cincy game when they scheduled it and I mostly hate it now.  Doesn't move the needle in any way as far as excitement.  Nebraska will be expected to win IMO, but Cincinnati is a tough opponent under Fickell and the 'Huskers will catch hell in the national media if they lose the game and gain much less recognition for winning.  Another crappy gift from Eichorst.

I would have agreed with you 6 months ago. But, Cincinnati went 11-3. If we lose to them in a competitive game and they have a similar season next year, there won’t be much backlash other than crap about one more loss. 

2 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Why would Nebraska catch hell for losing a game? No one is surprised when Nebraska loses anymore.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

10 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Why would Nebraska catch hell for losing a game? No one is surprised when Nebraska loses anymore.

Power 5 team losing to a G5 team never looks good optically. It’s just the way it is.  Oklahoma played Houston a few years recently and lost one of the games, and it wasn’t a good look for OU. 

Does anyone know what Cincy has returning for next year?

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Power 5 team losing to a G5 team never looks good optically. It’s just the way it is.  Oklahoma played Houston a few years recently and lost one of the games, and it wasn’t a good look for OU. 

Does anyone know what Cincy has returning for next year?

A highly ranked OU losing to a g5 is one thing, Nebraska losing to a g5 is different. If Cincinnati beats Nebraska no one nationally will care. Nebraska has lost to niu and troy recently.

• Fire 1
5 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

A highly ranked OU losing to a g5 is one thing, Nebraska losing to a g5 is different. If Cincinnati beats Nebraska no one nationally will care. Nebraska has lost to niu and troy recently.

No one will care either way actually, so I guess Cincy being scheduled is about right for NU next year. Although I still think NU has more to lose than gain, especially if the loss is at home. 

• Plus1 2

Why should we not expect things to be better next year even though the schedule is tougher. We return every starter on offense with more depth behind them . I would say 7-0 start could happen not saying it will . There’s no game in first 7 that we can’t win if we start 7-0 then confidence is high and you never know what could happen. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1