Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

9 minutes ago, Farms said:

My issue with it is this albeit based on no evidence what so every.  I believe he'd make a position switch if it was to play for a good team..  Luke is a fiery competitor and I think this has more to do with losing than which position he's playing.  

I don't think that's true. IIRC correctly he chose us over better teams because we said he could play QB, and they were up front about the fact that they didn't see him as one. So he already chose a worse team over a position switch and it's not a shock that he'd be consistent in that choice. 

Also can't blame McCaffrey for transferring at all.  If that's what ultimately happens that is.  The sad thing is with Mills departure he would have easily been the best returning ball carrier on the entire team.  My confidence in Frost, Lubick and Verduzco at this moment isn't at what I'd call at an all time high so there's that also.  Can't blame him.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
31 minutes ago, Farms said:

My issue with it is this albeit based on no evidence what so every.  I believe he'd make a position switch if it was to play for a good team..  Luke is a fiery competitor and I think this has more to do with losing than which position he's playing.  

That might be a little bit of it.  But, I don't believe that's the main reason he's probably transferring.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Word is he is likely going to same route as his brother: He is only enrolled in virtual classes for this semester.  But since he is enrolled he can stay on scholarship and keep his stipend.  But doesn't sound like he'll be with the team any longer.  Then enter the portal at the end of the semester.

So , basically abusing the system.  Pretty crappy if true. 

• Haha 4
57 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't think he's taking a scholarship from anyone, as those scholarships are good for one academic year.  It's not like Frost could have taken that scholarship and given it to someone else to use this spring semester.

Not what I meant.  The whole free tuition thing is more like it.   When other students are paying and also not playing football.   Again, crappy only if true and just IMO.    As of now it’s a rumor only. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, uberism said:

The kid is making a terrible choice thinking he is a QB. He is a terrific athlete that needs the ball at WR. SMH.....such good talent that will go to waste. 

Meh, if his dream is to play Qb then this is the right move for him. If his dream was to play in the NFL regardless of position sure then its probably the wrong move. His family is well off enough so no sense in wasting time doing something you dont have as much desire for. 

• Plus1 1

Losing culture begets a dispassionate / apathetic team environment, which eventually leads to departures.  If this regime is ultimately able to turn the ship around, they will need to rely completely on lesser talent and fewer playmakers from this point forward.

Elite athletes will not consider us until we demonstrate success on the field again.  Playing time alone will not be enough of a carrot to attract top talent again.  This window is now closed.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

In a different era, Luke would have been a great Husker QB. I'd imagine he could have taken over right after Crouch and the Nebraska offense wouldn't have missed a beat. As is, like all great Husker qb's of that time frame, his future is probably at a different position. 

Including his (soon to be former?) head coach.

If he really wants to stay at QB, I could see him landing at a G5 school on name alone. On passing ability, probably more FCS.

7 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Losing culture begets a dispassionate / apathetic team environment, which eventually leads to departures. 

Was Justin Fields in a losing/dispassionate/apathetic environment at Georgia? Or Joe Burrow at Ohio State? For most guys, wins and losses really don't matter nearly as much as their personal situation. If a guy ain't happy being the backup, he's gonna bail no matter what.

• Plus1 2

Your point is a fair one, albeit a micro one.  My point was aimed at a macro level.  There is now a reliable level of attrition that will occur regardless of an individual program or student athlete.  The transfer portal has created the false promise of greener pastures elsewhere and young student athletes not accustomed to life away from home, or fierce competition for a starting position will be motivated to make a change.

My point was aimed largely at the attrition rate within NU the past few seasons.  Initially, high attrition was attributed to a change in staff / philosophy (Riley to Frost).  However, attrition has remained high despite Coach Frost bringing in his recruits.  This points to a larger structural issue, which is indeed a losing culture.

• Plus1 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey