Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

19 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Losing culture begets a dispassionate / apathetic team environment, which eventually leads to departures.  If this regime is ultimately able to turn the ship around, they will need to rely completely on lesser talent and fewer playmakers from this point forward.

Elite athletes will not consider us until we demonstrate success on the field again.  Playing time alone will not be enough of a carrot to attract top talent again.  This window is now closed.

This is demonstrably false but whatever floats your boat.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Stumpy1 said:

AM has been the worst downfield passing QB in the B1G and one of the worst in the nation the last 2 years.   I think he fits the couldn't part just fine. 

I mean, there was a post in this thread that shows that's not the case.  Or, at least shows he was pretty good in 2019 - there isn't any reference to how anyone else did, but I don't think you really have any evidence to support your claim either.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

AM has been the worst downfield passing QB in the B1G and one of the worst in the nation the last 2 years.   I think he fits the couldn't part just fine. 

Not 2 years ago:

And the original comment was about Luke not having the arm strength - I don't think arm strength is Martinez's problem at all. He doesn't have good touch, but he can at least get the ball far enough down the field. Touch would give him a much greater margin for error, right now AM misses deep balls because guys can't run into them, they're on a rope. Particularly against Illinois, Luke missed deeper throws because they just didn't go very far.

11 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

And the original comment was about Luke not having the arm strength - I don't think arm strength is Martinez's problem at all. He doesn't have good touch, but he can at least get the ball far enough down the field. Touch would give him a much greater margin for error, right now AM misses deep balls because guys can't run into them, they're on a rope. Particularly against Illinois, Luke missed deeper throws because they just didn't go very far.

Yep. Luke's deep throws lack any semblance of touch, he doesn't get a good spiral on the ball on those. Usually comes down to weak mechanics due to trying to compensate for a lack of arm strength.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

This is demonstrably false but whatever floats your boat.

Idealism and realism routinely come into conflict and I typically call things as I see them.  Perhaps I missed the 7 year plan for success that Coach Frost presented 3 years ago and am thus premature in my program assessment.

Having watched this program for 35 years, I wish I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Believe me, I want this to work more than anything.  Scott Frost is a terrific ambassador for our program and a great competitor.  Sometimes though, circumstances dictate another direction.  I just feel that momentum in a variety of areas is heading towards another change (as painful as that may be for some).

Despite our disagreement here, we all want the same thing, a program we can be proud of on and off the field. 

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Idealism and realism routinely come into conflict and I typically call things as I see them.  Perhaps I missed the 7 year plan for success that Coach Frost presented 3 years ago and am thus premature in my program assessment.

Having watched this program for 35 years, I wish I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Believe me, I want this to work more than anything.  Scott Frost is a terrific ambassador for our program and a great competitor.  Sometimes though, circumstances dictate another direction.  I just feel that momentum in a variety of areas is heading towards another change (as painful as that may be for some).

Despite our disagreement here, we all want the same thing, a program we can be proud of on and off the field. 

If you've watched the Husker program for 35 years and can't tell that Frost has a focus on getting the offensive line to be the strength of the offense then I would take a look a your diagnostic methodology.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

So you try to lecture me on realism then go on a completely different tangent than anything that was being discussed before.  Seems legit.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

"Luke's improvement in throwing the football from Year 1 to Year 2 and his control of the offense is going to give him a chance to be a really good player, a special player around here," Frost said. "If he continues on that path, I expect him to be an elite guy. If it ever got to the point where he wasn’t the guy (at QB), he’s a really good athlete.

"I talk to him about that all the time. It’s really not fair because if you have a slow guy that misses a pass, everybody just says step into your target a little better. If you’ve got a really good athlete that misses a pass, they say, 'Oh, you should be playing safety.' I’ve been through that and I’m not doing that to Luke. We recruited him and we believe in him. We not only want to keep him at quarterback, I want to give him a chance and an opportunity to compete for the job.

"I think he’s crazy if he doesn’t want to stay at quarterback because I think he can be really good at it. I’ve never really asked him that question other than it was great that he was willing to play a little bit of a different role and he made some plays for us. If I was giving him advice, I’d say he should stay there.”

"I believe in Luke McCaffrey and that hasn’t changed," the coach added. "I’m excited about what he’s going to be at Nebraska."

LJS

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey