Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

25 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

Even if they are not true, just him being here and leaving is enough reason that his teammates would not welcome him back with open arms. He left them and they won't forget/forgive that. 

Some would be pissed, some wouldn't, and they'd all get over it most like. The DT from Iowa that wrecked us all game was in the portal for a while IIRC. Some of the defenders might not ease up as much on him in practice. And maybe if the coaches were pissed enough about the manner of leaving he wouldn't be welcomed back, but I'd expect in most cases the player could come back without much of an issue.

But either way I don't see it happening in this case - I'm sure we'll never get the whole story, but really curious what the deal was. I assumed we wanted him to move positions, but it would be pretty sketchy for Frost to tell him that and then go on a radio show and insist they wanted him at QB all along. So I have no clue anymore. 

19 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Yea, I don't know how a situation like what happened to Deangelo Evans would happen today. 

14 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Wow, blast from the past!  I forgot all about that.

I saw him on campus once, I was walking to class and he was walking by me in shorts and plan white T-shirt...dude was crazy jacked.

I believe I was wearing some black jeans with a FUBU jersey and a gold chain...I did not have a lot of friends.

What was the deal with Evans? That's right before I started actually paying attention to the team, so I remember there being drama but nothing other than he was going to be our next Heisman-caliber RB and then he was gone.

7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Some would be pissed, some wouldn't, and they'd all get over it most like. The DT from Iowa that wrecked us all game was in the portal for a while IIRC. Some of the defenders might not ease up as much on him in practice. And maybe if the coaches were pissed enough about the manner of leaving he wouldn't be welcomed back, but I'd expect in most cases the player could come back without much of an issue.

But either way I don't see it happening in this case - I'm sure we'll never get the whole story, but really curious what the deal was. I assumed we wanted him to move positions, but it would be pretty sketchy for Frost to tell him that and then go on a radio show and insist they wanted him at QB all along. So I have no clue anymore. 

I think it would all depend on how he handles it.  If he comes back with a very committed attitude and works his a$$ off to do absolutely everything he can to help the team, then I think it could work.  Some players would be cold to him at first, but if he does it right, he could win them back over and help the team.

But...like you said.  I don't see it happening.

39 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

What was the deal with Evans? That's right before I started actually paying attention to the team, so I remember there being drama but nothing other than he was going to be our next Heisman-caliber RB and then he was gone.

Found this from an old HB post, it's a bit dated but has some good info in there:

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Found this from an old HB post, it's a bit dated but has some good info in there:

46 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

TL;DR version from @Xmas32's post: Evans quit the team in '99, came back and requested to rejoin, Solich put it to a team vote and the team voted against him. 

• Plus1 4

I'd put a lot of money on the table for Luke thinking he would have landed at a P5 school by now. It's dead silence out there. I don't care if a lot of the kids that left have bad attitudes, or selfish, or whatever, some are learning the hard way that the grass is not greener all of the time. 

One of them ended up a DB at FIU (or FAU...whatever school it was). 

One ended up at a MAC school. Yep, be stupid on Twitter and leave the Big Ten for the  MAC. Stupid! 

The IG lover didn't even bother showing up at the start of practice and now he will be Maryland's head case to deal with. 

Luke thinks he is better than he is as a QB and will find out the hard way. 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, uberism said:

I'd put a lot of money on the table for Luke thinking he would have landed at a P5 school by now. It's dead silence out there. I don't care if a lot of the kids that left have bad attitudes, or selfish, or whatever, some are learning the hard way that the grass is not greener all of the time. 

One of them ended up a DB at FIU (or FAU...whatever school it was). 

One ended up at a MAC school. Yep, be stupid on Twitter and leave the Big Ten for the  MAC. Stupid! 

The IG lover didn't even bother showing up at the start of practice and now he will be Maryland's head case to deal with. 

Luke thinks he is better than he is as a QB and will find out the hard way. 

To be fair, many players may be waiting until after spring practices to make decisions. His brother stepped away at Michigan before the season started and decided to transfer to Northern Colorado after the semester finished. Luke may be taking the same approach.

Agreed though, many players are transferring and most will soon find out that the outcomes will not likely be favorable. 

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

To be fair, many players may be waiting until after spring practices to make decisions. His brother stepped away at Michigan before the season started and decided to transfer to Northern Colorado after the semester finished. Luke may be taking the same approach.

Agreed though, many players are transferring and most will soon find out that the outcomes will not likely be favorable. 

There is no reason for Luke to rush into things right now.  He's still enrolled at NU, taking online classes.  He can work out with his dad and brother in Colorado.  Plus, him waiting can allow teams to get an idea of where they stand after Spring practice, and then get transferred before summer workouts.  The one down side is that the transfer market will get more flooded with players after Spring practices, but the McCaffreys can spend the next few months networking and contacting coaches.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey - Louisville commit

• suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey