Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

2 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

I guess, the way I feel, he is gone.  Let's move on.  I got this way with JD.

Losing Luke doesn't hurt anywhere near as much as losing Spielman or Wandale.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

43 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I am hopeful that losing Wandale causes Frost to actually distribute the ball instead of force it to Wandale. That is just a hope though. 

Was Frost focused on Wan’Dale because of his own errors or because Wan’Dale was the only WR with a pulse? This offense is so badly begging for a guy like Betts or Manning to step up. So frustrating. 

• Plus1 4
37 minutes ago, Decked said:

Was Frost focused on Wan’Dale because of his own errors or because Wan’Dale was the only WR with a pulse? This offense is so badly begging for a guy like Betts or Manning to step up. So frustrating. 

I struggle with this and I think any plans Frost had of this offense churning this last season were thrown out when Manning didnt contribute like was initially anticipated. That is obviously on Frost and Co as WR recruitment the first few classes was worse than below average. I do think Betts and Brown will end up being more than serviceable in the B1G and Nixon by all accounts if he recovers fully from his injury will also be serviceable. I really like the class of WRs coming this year too but again really young and inexperienced group we have to work with. 

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I struggle with this and I think any plans Frost had of this offense churning this last season were thrown out when Manning didnt contribute like was initially anticipated. That is obviously on Frost and Co as WR recruitment the first few classes was worse than below average. I do think Betts and Brown will end up being more than serviceable in the B1G and Nixon by all accounts if he recovers fully from his injury will also be serviceable. I really like the class of WRs coming this year too but again really young and inexperienced group we have to work with. 

No doubt. Some of the classes brought in have been FCS level talented. 2021 guys like Brown, Betts, Manning, & Nixon need to turn that trend around. And stay around. Can’t have your two best players transfer at wideout multiple years in a row. 

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, Decked said:

He did not want to use Wan'Dale in the backfield.  They said that before the season started.  Whether that was just wanting to have others step up or early indications that he'd rather not be used that way is up for speculation (and by "he" I mean the others in his group that never wanted him to be at Nebraska in the first place).

But when we kept losing RBs and we were struggling to get him the ball at WR, they didn't have much choice but to get him the ball any way they could.  The tried to convince the posse that wouldn't be the case going forward but it seems possible they'd had that conversation before and they weren't buying it anymore.

• Fire 2
6 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Even though all that is really debatable, ie herbert is from eugene and was going to oregon either way. 

But, whats more likely, Oregon attracted recruits and frost was there.

Or frost recruited great qbs everywhere else and in 4 years cant at Nebraska? If its this one, how do you explain? Luck?

Been said by some many times on this board that frost cant be blamed for his first recruiting class.  If you cant be blamed, you cant receive credit either. Which means milton was sheer luck.

You do realize how many offers Adrian had prior to coming to Nebraska, correct?  Same can be said for Logan.  McCaffrey was also a very highly regarded recruit.  Frost is landing guys with the resume.

In high school Adrian received offers from Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Arizona State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Cal, Oklahoma, and more.  Logan received offers from Ole Miss, Louisville,  and had interest from a pile of others, including Alabama and Ohio State, but he refused to talk to anyone after he met Scott Frost.  We all know Luke had offers from all the big names but the offers were likely for other positions.  Those schools include Colorado, Michigan, UCLA, Ohio State, Washington, Ole Miss, and more.  Luke was a project that Scott took a chance on, not a bad evaluation.    

He is identifying the same talent as the other big names.  Nebraska doesn't have the full supporting cast to make that talent shine yet but to suggest he can't recruit is ridiculous.    

43 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He did not want to use Wan'Dale in the backfield.  They said that before the season started.  Whether that was just wanting to have others step up or early indications that he'd rather not be used that way is up for speculation (and by "he" I mean the others in his group that never wanted him to be at Nebraska in the first place).

But when we kept losing RBs and we were struggling to get him the ball at WR, they didn't have much choice but to get him the ball any way they could.  The tried to convince the posse that wouldn't be the case going forward but it seems possible they'd had that conversation before and they weren't buying it anymore.

They never even really bought it after his freshman year. Wan’Dale’s trainer and family never wanted him here in the first place 

11 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Even though all that is really debatable, ie herbert is from eugene and was going to oregon either way. 

But, whats more likely, Oregon attracted recruits and frost was there.

Or frost recruited great qbs everywhere else and in 4 years cant at Nebraska? If its this one, how do you explain? Luck?

Been said by some many times on this board that frost cant be blamed for his first recruiting class.  If you cant be blamed, you cant receive credit either. Which means milton was sheer luck.

He was never going to Oregon until an offer came after Scott scouted him live late his senior season. It's called evaluating skill and projecting development. Scott has hit on QB's a hell of a lot more than missed. 

• Haha 2

Let's face it, if Luke's last name wasn't McCaffrey, nobody around here would even care. He wants to play QB and we've all seen enough to know we're glad it won't be here. As for Wan'dale, yes he was a talented receiver that Frost & Co misused out of necessity. It is what it is and he gone. I'm just excited at the prospects of maybe now having a running back that weighs more than 175 run between the tackles. But if some guys in the WR room (and the QB) don't step up to keep teams from stacking the box, not even Jerome Bettis would help us against B1G defenses. 2021 is the year we find out if Frost's offense can work in the B1G or if we're in for yet another coaching change in the near future. All we have to go on is hope at this time because the last 3 years have provided zero evidence it will work.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
On 2/23/2021 at 3:38 PM, Hilltop said:

You do realize how many offers Adrian had prior to coming to Nebraska, correct?  Same can be said for Logan.  McCaffrey was also a very highly regarded recruit.  Frost is landing guys with the resume.

In high school Adrian received offers from Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Arizona State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Cal, Oklahoma, and more.  Logan received offers from Ole Miss, Louisville,  and had interest from a pile of others, including Alabama and Ohio State, but he refused to talk to anyone after he met Scott Frost.  We all know Luke had offers from all the big names but the offers were likely for other positions.  Those schools include Colorado, Michigan, UCLA, Ohio State, Washington, Ole Miss, and more.  Luke was a project that Scott took a chance on, not a bad evaluation.    

He is identifying the same talent as the other big names.  Nebraska doesn't have the full supporting cast to make that talent shine yet but to suggest he can't recruit is ridiculous.    

LOL and AD would not have been a 3-4 year starter at any of those schools..  So Frost hit him with the u can probably be a 4 year started like the last Martinez that was here. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
On 2/23/2021 at 8:57 PM, JJ Husker said:

Let's face it, if Luke's last name wasn't McCaffrey, nobody around here would even care. He wants to play QB and we've all seen enough to know we're glad it won't be here. As for Wan'dale, yes he was a talented receiver that Frost & Co misused out of necessity. It is what it is and he gone. I'm just excited at the prospects of maybe now having a running back that weighs more than 175 run between the tackles. But if some guys in the WR room (and the QB) don't step up to keep teams from stacking the box, not even Jerome Bettis would help us against B1G defenses. 2021 is the year we find out if Frost's offense can work in the B1G or if we're in for yet another coaching change in the near future. All we have to go on is hope at this time because the last 3 years have provided zero evidence it will work.

Zero evidence? I get that the grading scale is W and Ls but the scheme has shown its more than capable. 

Multiples times a game we miss on big plays. We somehow consistently maintain a turnover margin that ranks near the bottom in the country (stat just floors me btw). 

Captain obvious here: Better/consistent QB play will translate to more Ws. It’s on SF to get that done but the offense itself isn’t the issue (IMO)

• suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey