Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

But completion percentage isn't the entire story.  It's a lot easier to complete a higher percentage when you're mainly throwing really short passes.  So just because it's what you might expect doesn't mean it's really all that great.

So....what we know right now is he completes a decent number of his short passes and has a few here and there that aren't on target (like just about every other QB in the world).  He hasn't attempted enough down field passes to make a judgement on them.  Last year, he completed a couple nice long passes.  We need a bigger sample size to make a judgement though on how he does.  

I believe we will see more in the coming weeks.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's an odd argument to try to push.  I usually respect your takes.  But.....they are usually better than this one.

I'm not trying to push any argument.  I'm just asking questions.  He thinks it's "bizarre" that others are trying to claim something without evidence.  Yet he's trying to claim something without evidence.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
40 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Cam addressed his bad snaps in yesterday's PC, and he said they need to stop.  I think he has been limited in practice, so there are lost reps there.  Severe and Benning seemed to think Cam's worst snaps were when he was being asked to pull.  I am not sure if their comments are true.  S&B did say that QB's do drills where they are given bad snaps, and still being asked to carry out the play. 

Being asked to pull could probably have an impact. My snaps were worse when I had someone lined up over top because you're trying to Snap the ball and also quickly make contact with the defender. However, at this point his snaps need to be so automatic that it doesn't matter. I don't know if they still teach it this way but 12 years ago hitting the exact same spot on my leg every time cured most of my issues. It doesn't have to be really hard.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm not trying to push any argument.  I'm just asking questions.  He thinks it's "bizarre" that others are trying to claim something without evidence.  Yet he's trying to claim something without evidence.

The old "just asking questions" bit. Classic. Stop dancing around and say whatever it is you're trying to say.

I'm saying that I haven't seen any evidence that LM is inaccurate as I've seen stated in comments in this thread and elsewhere on this board.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The old "just asking questions" bit. Classic. Stop dancing around and say whatever it is you're trying to say.

I'm saying that I haven't seen any evidence that LM is inaccurate as I've seen stated in comments in this thread and elsewhere on this board.

Didn't this whole thing start with talking about missing a 6'8 tight end from ~15 yards? And maybe it was a throw away, but he had another rollout pass at least 10 yards from any receiver.

I don't think there's a lot of evidence either way, especially considering he only has 42 pass attempts this year. But in general I need to be convinced that a new QB is accurate rather than assume they are accurate from the start. I don't think anyone is pushing the narrative that "Luke just isn't accurate," I just don't buy the argument that he for sure is accurate either. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Looking at it another way: completion % is a nice stat to use, but yards per attempt can give a better indication of just how far a QB is pushing the ball down the field rather than relying on boosting that completion % via checkdowns and short passes. Thus far, Luke is at 7.1 Y/A, which is...not bad. It's not top 50, but not bad. Compare that to where this offense can be at when it's truly clicking (2017 UCF), and Milton was at 10.2 Y/A. 

Remove the sweep "pass" to Betts that went for 45 yards and he is at 6.21 or about 94th in the nation.  It's a really small sample size, and our young receivers don't even know the playbook yet, so I'll wait to judge him as a passer.  Hopefully he can tighten those spirals to quiet down the duck season jokes.        

• Plus1 2
25 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Saying that there is not enough evidence to conclude that he is inaccurate, is not the same as claiming he is accurate. It's more of an "inconclusive" angle. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's an odd argument to try to push.  I usually respect your takes.  But.....they are usually better than this one.

No it is not. 

This isn't the PR forum.  He's not pushing anything.  Who cares what you want to hear and how your like to hear it. 

• Thanks 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey