Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

If Martinez does better but still bumbles forget WR.  Get him under center and give him some quality snaps.  Funny thing is he could likely be a good WR also if they really want to get him on the field.

My favorite thing about him and of course this is only by seeing him with somewhat limited action so far is his poise.

52 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

If Martinez does better but still bumbles forget WR.  Get him under center and give him some quality snaps.  Funny thing is he could likely be a good WR also if they really want to get him on the field.

My favorite thing about him and of course this is only by seeing him with somewhat limited action so far is his poise.

I think Frost will have a couple packages with McCaffrey in at QB and also a couple with Martinez and McCaffrey on the field at the same time. McCaffrey won't move to WR but will be QB3 and bidding time to duke it out with Smothers in 2022. 

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

I think Frost will have a couple packages with McCaffrey in at QB and also a couple with Martinez and McCaffrey on the field at the same time. McCaffrey won't move to WR but will be QB3 and bidding time to duke it out with Smothers in 2022. 

He's definitely going to see action this year no doubt.  Personally he's not my QB3 though.  Vedral is serviceable but if I'm coaching McCaffrey is going in 2nd for now at least.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
15 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

He's definitely going to see action this year no doubt.  Personally he's not my QB3 though.  Vedral is serviceable but if I'm coaching McCaffrey is going in 2nd for now at least.

Agree - McCaffrey is much more athletic and I see him getting a lot of playing time.   Has to be #2.  If AM struggles again, we need a strong alternative to replace him. 

• Fire 1
7 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Agree - McCaffrey is much more athletic and I see him getting a lot of playing time.   Has to be #2.  If AM struggles again, we need a strong alternative to replace him. 

6 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Luke is for sure QB2. He will be used in many packages this season from WR and even QB. 

Based on ?

• Plus1 1

I understand the sentiment that says if redshirt freshman Luke McCaffrey isn't Nebraska's starting quarterback, get him on the field as a receiver — especially considering the shortage of bodies at the position. He's fast, athletic, tough and intelligent. In short, he's a McCaffrey.  

Frost and Mario Verduzco brought McCaffrey to Lincoln to play quarterback, not receiver. Every rep he spends at receiver only cuts into his development as a quarterback.

If he winds up second or third on the quarterback depth chart come August, then maybe look at playing him some at receiver. But he grew up emulating Michael Vick and Fran Tarkenton in his back yard. Yes, Fran Tarkenton. The kid's a QB.

I still think he will see time at WR.

• Plus1 1

I've said it before, use Luke like Taysom Hill from the Saints (if AM is the clear #1).  (If LM's the clear #2 then I might have to reconsider)  Give him certain packages throughout the season.  He can still develop as "a" qb, just not "thee" qb.  IMHO, he'd probably get no less reps than he would during a regular season in this capacity.  Learn a few routes from multiple formations.  His grasp of the O as a QB would help adapt and learn a few route trees easily.  He is too dynamic to keep off the field.  he'd be a nightmare for DC's to game plan for and gets another playmaker on the field.  On the field, he'd always require the D to account where he is.....

Just my .02.

Mods can we also make a rule that you can't just put the players name in the subject.  This older thread popped up and I thought day 1 and he was injured/gone/ etc.....:D

• Plus1 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey